Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day 4003W

12stringbassist

I do like the look of these walnut models, the new 4003SW looks good as well. I was a bit disappointed when I saw a 4003W and the matching guitar in a local music shop, as there were some finishing details on both I thought were a little sloppy for an instrument of that price, but I'm guessing you found a good one.

Not a problem - I'd ordered one from GAK as they came out last year around my 50th birthday, so for once I had the indulgence fund to be able to buy one. I've loved the look of them forever, and my first 'proper' bass was a 1980 4001 Jetglow (Geddy!) I got for my 16th birthday, so it all seemed set in the stars...

Anyway, the one I got wasn't £1600-worth of bass - it just wasn't good enough. Granted, the ergonomics are always a challenge compared to a lot of other basses, but I'm a pick-player rock-klutz who owned one for nearly a decade: the one I got didn't play particularly well, wasn't set up well (the nut was cut wayyy high) and was just a lifeless thing. Well, not lifeless, but I've played £300 Indonesian basses with more zing. I sent it back the next day, very disappointed. Then I went into PMT in Manchester and played one in there, and to be honest that wasn't any more inspiring.

All IMHO, YMMV, and all that, and I probably copped for a duffer (or two), and I'll bet a good one is great. I just didn't want to have to keep trying them at that price range. Cost me £30 shipping to try the first one...

I still think the 4003W is the best-looking thing they've ever produced...

I think I have been lucky with mine, going by what Muzz said above (thanks).

I saw the one that was in PMT Salford, but I don't usually take a bass off the wall unless I intend to buy and at that time I didn't, so I don't know what it was like.
I did look at it close up and thought it was a work of art. It really set my mind working.

The neck pickup volume on mine is set way behind the bridge pickup, so i need to raise it some more. Though it blends perfectly in the middle position. I can't find any fault with the finish quality or set up and I can only mention the pickup height, which isn't really a fault.

I ordered mine unseen and got the last one from woodbrass.com in Paris, much cheaper than UK stockists.

• 2 months later...