Why become a member? ×

To Natural or not to Natural

fleamail

Hmmmm

IMO... yes, on a SCPB, but not on a 'classic' P. I don't hugely dislike it, but... I'm not a massive fan.

Also (again IMO), if the grain warrants a natural finish, it also suggests 'boat anchor'.

Not always the case, obviously.

BUT... as Marcus says.... who cares what anyone else thinks? :)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='264384' date='Aug 18 2008, 09:45 AM']Might be a bit simplistic - but I always figured if wood isn't covered up with six layers of paint it has to be good wood.[/quote]

Bear in mind we're talking about Fenders here. Until the late 70's, Fender generally did solid colours, bursts and blondes.

'Interesting wood' on a Fender generally means late-70's Northern Ash.. which can be heavy.

Again, generally speaking.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='264392' date='Aug 18 2008, 09:56 AM']Bear in mind we're talking about Fenders here. Until the late 70's, Fender generally did solid colours, bursts and blondes.[/quote]

I know - and my comment stands.Given a straight choice between 2 otherwise similar basses I'd rather have a bass where I could see something of the grain than a solid paint job.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='264392' date='Aug 18 2008, 09:56 AM']'Interesting wood' on a Fender generally means late-70's Northern Ash.. which can be heavy.[/quote]
Yep my '81 cherry sunburst precision is Northern Ash. Lovely grain on it but it does weight a lot more than any other precision I've held.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='264395' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:01 AM']I know - and my comment stands.Given a straight choice between 2 otherwise similar basses I'd rather have a bass where I could see something of the grain than a solid paint job.[/quote]

...and I agree. I'm not personally a fan of solid finishes either.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='264402' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:12 AM']...and I agree. I'm not personally a fan of solid finishes either.[/quote]

I've noticed that :)

The guy that sold the 17yr old Jnr Dr D his Precision told me to always go for non-solid colours as the wood has to be good. I'm sure he was correct back in the late 70s rather than now - there was some utter sh*te back then , esp in the 'copy' market.
I've always remembered his remark though and it seems to have served me well.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='264406' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:20 AM']I've noticed that :)

The guy that sold the 17yr old Jnr Dr D his Precision told me to always go for non-solid colours as the wood has to be good. I'm sure he was correct back in the late 70s rather than now - there was some utter sh*te back then , esp in the 'copy' market.
I've always remembered his remark though and it seems to have served me well.[/quote]

Well - the *real* prized Fender body wood - the swamp ash and alder they used in the 50s - is cosmetically as dull as ditchwater.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='264419' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:31 AM']Well - the *real* prized Fender body wood - the swamp ash and alder they used in the 50s - is cosmetically as dull as ditchwater.[/quote]
True, but they do age to a nice "butterscotch".

The other advantage of natural basses is that they pretty much match any strap/stagewear ( :) prententious? moi?)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='264392' date='Aug 18 2008, 09:56 AM']Bear in mind we're talking about Fenders here. Until the late 70's, Fender generally did solid colours, bursts and blondes.

'Interesting wood' on a Fender generally means late-70's Northern Ash.. which can be heavy.

Again, generally speaking.[/quote]

I was always of the impression that the solids were usually sprayed over botched sunbursts

it all depends

i hate the natural look of the first pic of the p bass you posted, but i love the last pic of the jazz

very subjective really, all depends on the bass, what gunna look better on a BC Rich, matt black or natural?

I love natural finishes, a nice oiled satin finish is my favourite. Will try to post a pic of my basses when I get a chance. I don't really like figured 'coffee table' woods. Not even flamed maple. Just a nice grain... My fretted bass has mahogany body wings and my fretless is ash. Both natural. Lovely! :)