Why become a member? ×

The reason why NYC is a bass mecca...

stonecoldbass

Well, I arrived home 3 days ago from a vacation of a lifetime: 10 days in NYC. I went with my mate Marco, a keyboard player, and we stayed in Midtown Manhattan.
Being jazz fans, we were pretty excited about visiting the famous venues, Blue Note etc; and experiencing some good music. I, however, wasn't prepared for such a bass extravaganza!!
The first gig was in the Blue Note and was the Poogie Bell band. You probably have already heard Poogie....he plays drums for Marcus Miller...
Well, Marcus wasn't there, but he had a fantastic bass player called Kevin Barefoot playing for him, a lovely Fodera into the venues own Aguilar rig...

[attachment=12204:broadfoot.jpg]

Next night was Blue Note again, this time it was a group called Metro, with none other than Dave Weckl on kit, Gerald Veasley on bass and Randy Brecker on trumpet. Oh, and Will Lee was in the house, so he went up for a jam...

[attachment=12205:gerald_veasely.jpg]

[attachment=12206:will_lee.jpg]

[attachment=12207:will_and_I.jpg]

Then on Monday night we took a little visit to the 55 Bar, where Jaco and Mike Stern used to tear it up. Mike was playing that night, but this time with the African Jaco, Mr. Richard Bona:

[attachment=12209:richard_and_me.jpg]

[attachment=12208:mike_stern.jpg]

On wednesday we went to see Lettuce (for those not in the know, they are one of the hottest funk bands out) on a ferry that went up the hudson.
Probably the best funk gig I ever saw. And the bass player is called Jesus. He was in Bass Player last month I think.

[attachment=12214:lettuce.jpg]

During the week I payed a little visit to Rudy's bass shop and got my sweaty mits on a a few jems, some lovely modulus, an mtd or two, a sukop, an f-bass....but the highlight was a 'modified' '77 jazz. Sublime.

[attachment=12210:77_jazz_bass.jpg]

So, to some up, in the space of a week I met 3 bass legends playing with fellow world class musicians and saw various other ensembles that were all individual musical gems. Only in New York! I recommend it to anyone!!!

Cheers,
Craig

I like NY, its an amazing place if you know what you want to do. I don't know of any place on the planet where big name musicians are so accessible. I had a listen to Lettuce on Myspace, I think any decent bass player would sound funky with that outfit - very tight and great grooves.

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='263208' date='Aug 15 2008, 04:28 PM']Well, I arrived home 3 days ago from a vacation of a lifetime: 10 days in NYC. I went with my mate Marco, a keyboard player, and we stayed in Midtown Manhattan.
Being jazz fans, we were pretty excited about visiting the famous venues, Blue Note etc; and experiencing some good music. I, however, wasn't prepared for such a bass extravaganza!!
The first gig was in the Blue Note and was the Poogie Bell band. You probably have already heard Poogie....he plays drums for Marcus Miller...
Well, Marcus wasn't there, but he had a fantastic bass player called Kevin Barefoot playing for him, a lovely Fodera into the venues own Aguilar rig...

[attachment=12204:broadfoot.jpg]

Next night was Blue Note again, this time it was a group called Metro, with none other than Dave Weckl on kit, Gerald Veasley on bass and Randy Brecker on trumpet. Oh, and Will Lee was in the house, so he went up for a jam...

[attachment=12205:gerald_veasely.jpg]

[attachment=12206:will_lee.jpg]

[attachment=12207:will_and_I.jpg]

Then on Monday night we took a little visit to the 55 Bar, where Jaco and Mike Stern used to tear it up. Mike was playing that night, but this time with the African Jaco, Mr. Richard Bona:

[attachment=12209:richard_and_me.jpg]

[attachment=12208:mike_stern.jpg]

On wednesday we went to see Lettuce (for those not in the know, they are one of the hottest funk bands out) on a ferry that went up the hudson.
Probably the best funk gig I ever saw. And the bass player is called Jesus. He was in Bass Player last month I think.

[attachment=12214:lettuce.jpg]

During the week I payed a little visit to Rudy's bass shop and got my sweaty mits on a a few jems, some lovely modulus, an mtd or two, a sukop, an f-bass....but the highlight was a 'modified' '77 jazz. Sublime.

[attachment=12210:77_jazz_bass.jpg]

So, to some up, in the space of a week I met 3 bass legends playing with fellow world class musicians and saw various other ensembles that were all individual musical gems. Only in New York! I recommend it to anyone!!!

Cheers,
Craig[/quote]
Poogie Bell is fantastic. You should check out his album 'Thinking Outside the Box' tis a great album..I would love to go to the New York bass works and try those out..Rudy's, arent they the place for Pensa basses?

I am so envious bro, that i think i hate you!!!!!only kidding, that is where i would love to go..I cant believe you saw all those legends..Mike Stern, Richard Bona,Will Lee..Good on you man...

That chap Jesus, did he have a beard and play a Deluxe Jazz?

Thanks for the pics bro!!!!!

Edited by bubinga5

We were planning on getting up but most of the gigs were too 'official', and when we did ask we were told jam nights were another night...
That guy jesus did have a beard and play a fender deluxe, check out the pic.
I didn't bring back any gear, I'm waiting on my sadowsky being delivered from another bchatter!!
c

[quote name='bubinga5' post='263639' date='Aug 16 2008, 04:29 PM']He He..World class players there..Loverly mind!!!![/quote]

Apparently ped graced many venues in Aberwotsit during 2003-2006! Definitely a bass pilgrimage now!

Hey nice story and good vibes all the way, great to see Bona at the 55 bar with Stern, a rare one that for sure.... I saw amazing guitarist wayne Krantz there in April last year, but he had... Anthony Jackson on bass and Steely Dan's drummer Keith Karlock, which was er, nice! Plus I hung with Matt Garrison over at Fodera and heard him jam in the Epifani workshop too, which was also nice.

And while I agree that NYC is full of incredible bass talent, within a few days/couple of weeks in London recently we had Richard Bona, Tony Grey, Matt Garrison, Stanley Clarke, Dominique Di Piazza and Mr Victor Wooten visit town to play gigs, so NYC may be home but playing in Europe is certainly paying those bills!

However I have to say NYC is a very, very special place for jazz in general being the birthplace of what we essentially know as modern jazz and with so much history steeped in the streets and bars and clubs, the place is still vital and exciting and the standard of playing across the entire range of instruments is astonishing. It's just nice to see both American musicians coming to London because the standard is very high here as well, but it's also great to see many UK musicians going to NYC and getting stuck in there as well. It's all good!

M

And in October Victor Bailey plays two club nights, and in November Hadrien Feraud is over for two nights as well:

[url="http://www.myspace.com/charliewrights"]http://www.myspace.com/charliewrights[/url]

10 Oct 2008 20:00
FR)-VICTOR BAILEY GROUP-only UK dates-premier of his new album since 2001 London
11 Oct 2008 20:00
SAT)-VICTOR BAILEY GROUP-only UK dates-premier of his new album since 2001 London

18 Nov 2008 21:30
LONDON JAZZ FEST: Hadrien Feraud Group (France) London
19 Nov 2008 21:30
LONDON JAZZ FEST: Hadrien Feraud Group (France) London

coincidentally, I also had my hols in NYC/NJ last month. NY is just awesome - it was my third visit there, and it just gets better each time. I managed to catch [url="http://www.charlestolliver.com/"]The Charles Tolliver Big Band[/url] (at The Blue Note), [url="http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/MingusBands/orchestra.html"]The Mingus Orchestra[/url] and The Victor Lewis Quintet (at the Village Vanguard).
I also picked up a very nice bass that I bought off a nice fellow from TB :)

I bought a DigiTech Synth Wah from Rudy's in 2003. He gave me a generous discount cos I had a bit of a chat with him and it was a display model or something. Great shop; i remember he had a lot of really expensive Warwicks in stock when i was in there, and a few custom finish ones as well. I'll go back one day...