Why become a member? ×

Killing time in guitar shop

FinnDave

I went into Oxford today with my wife who had some business to do there, so I wandered along the Cowley Road to PMT. They humoured me by allowing me to play various basses, from Squier Dimension to US Jazz Special via VM and CV Jazz Squiers. Somehow I ended up with a new Fender standard Jazz (mex) in lake placid blue with a maple neck & fingerboard. Sounds and feels great, I'll probably use it at our gig tomorrow night.

Edited by FinnDave

I thought I might get away with that, but here is a quick pic taken before going through the setup. It didn't much, slight tweak on the trussrod, pickups raised a gnats and a turn or two on the saddles to set the intonation. I'm planning on using it at tonight's gig (The Wheatsheaf in Didcot is anyone's local and at a loose end this evening).

[attachment=183870:1-2015-02-14 11.09.05.jpg]

I admit I was feeling wild and anarchistic and deliberately broke not only every bass style rule in the book but also half a lifetime if deliberately avoiding maple boards. Last one I had was on a white precision in the early 80s, looked like an anaemic ghost! But the LPB and maple is sexy in a slightly kinky kind of way.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1423924361' post='2690416']
Last one I had was on a white precision in the early 80s, looked like an anaemic ghost!
[/quote]

I don't think you can beat white and maple. Especially Creamy Olympic White and Aged Maple... preferably with a black pickguard. :gas:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1423913839' post='2690284']
I thought I might get away with that, but here is a quick pic taken before going through the setup. It didn't much, slight tweak on the trussrod, pickups raised a gnats and a turn or two on the saddles to set the intonation. I'm planning on using it at tonight's gig (The Wheatsheaf in Didcot is anyone's local and at a loose end this evening).

[attachment=183870:1-2015-02-14 11.09.05.jpg]
[/quote]

That's a great looking bass :)

John

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1423954889' post='2690958']
...black and maple
[/quote]

No. Black basses are as an abomination unto the LORD.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1423977188' post='2691078']
...black body tort plate maple board mmmmm :)
[/quote]

What did I just say, ye HEATHEN?? Also black and tort is actually [i]illegal[/i]. Expect a visit from the authorities. :ph34r:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423987267' post='2691099']

No. Black basses are as an abomination unto the LORD.

What did I just say, ye HEATHEN?? Also black and tort is actually [i]illegal[/i]. Expect a visit from the authorities. :ph34r:
[/quote]

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, So wrong it actually pains me :P :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1423989944' post='2691116']
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, So wrong it actually pains me :P :)
[/quote]

You're on the list for a an early-morning visit too, mate!

Tort is only acceptable with white, sunburst, natural and fiesta red. Anything else is an offence against good taste and common decency!! :P ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1424003092' post='2691341']
Best way to buy, IMO... as long as you have the money.
Turn up, like it muchly, and like it enough to commit there and then. Job done.
[/quote]

Yup, but it only works if you have access to a reasonably well stocked music shop. PMT Oxford were very helpful, letting me compare several basses for an hour or more and plugged them through an Ashdown amp similar to the ones I use so that I could get a realistic idea of how they would sound through my own rig.

After last night's gig, our guitarist said 'You might as well sell your other basses, that is the one for you'.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1424004048' post='2691363']

'You might as well sell your other basses, that is the one for you'.
[/quote]

Aah, the old trap you fall into, until the GAS monster rears its ugly head!