Why become a member? ×

Midget or Compact?

sblueplanet

I'm a fan of the 12" cab, owning an Eden EX112. Been thinking of upgrading to a Barefaced 12" but after looking at all the blurb on the website, I'm none the wiser which is the better cab. Any users want to give me some insider views on their choosing of the Midget over Compact and vise-versa?

Agree, Alex will recommend the best product for your use. The Compact to me was very warm and neutral sounding, difficult to get any snarl or aggression out of it, think velvety Motown sounds. The Midget was very punchy, had a real bark to it, and that was the one without the tweeter.

I've got both and usually use them as a pair. The main differences: The Super Compact goes slightly deeper and is a little larger. The Super Midget has a tweeter and is a little smaller :-) The good thing is that the Super Compact is no longer devoid of top end like it's predecessor was. Still sounds like a pretty full range cab. The previous gen Compact and Midget were VERY different sounding speakers, these two are pretty similar apart from the things I've noted above. I'd say that for everything apart from maybe a bit of slap bass (shudder) you'd maybe be better off with the Super Compact, as it's a slightly bigger sounding cab on it's own. If you like to pretend you're still in the early nineties and really must have that tweeter, or you're getting to rehearsals on your bike, maybe go for the Super Midget. Both are great. Hope this helps.

Guest monsterthompson

I own each. They each have a personality and work well together. What style of music are you playing and how loud do you need to be? The SC will win in a volume and depth match. It does sound a little boxy to my ears with certain amps at low volume. This can be managed with a decent midrange eq. I have a Mesa Buster with a 5 band graphic and it doesn't need to be touched to sound great. I also have a Genz Shuttle 9.0 and I need to scoop it to work for my ears. However, when turned up, the SC balances out with the Genz. The SM is closer to a full range sound at lower volumes, since it does have a tweeter. It can go pretty loud, but I found it lacking as a one-cab solution in a band setting (while the SC worked in the same band setting). The SM's full range makes it a little fizzy with some fuzz pedals, if that is your thing. I don't find the tweeter control to be terribly drastic in effect, though it will tame some of the brightness. I'd say if you tend toward lower volume and full range, the SM is the way to go. If you need more volume and lows, go SC.

Guest monsterthompson

...btw, even without the tweeter, the SC will get fairly bright (rolls off around 4k, I believe). My Buster is a bright head, and it gets nice and glassy, but not ice-pick bright. The SC just will have a hard time with ultra high sparkle (which often gets buried in a live mix).

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1423587788' post='2686704']
I used just a Compact for a while, and it was great, but adding a Midget to the setup was eye (ear?) opening.
My Midget doesn't have a tweeter (eugh) and has allll the highs I could ever want :)

Si
[/quote]

This, for me. Can't speak of the new stuff but I have G1 Compact and Midget. I use either for routine rehearsals on its own according to whim/ state of my back/space I need in the boot. But always the two together for gigs. They were designed to go together and go together they do.

I should clarify, the Midget and Compact were Generation 1 & 2 models which we no longer make. They used the excellent Eminence Kappalite 3012HO 12" and 3015 15" drivers respectively. The Midget is quite a barky little thing, the Compact very much like the best old 15"s but with more power handling.

The SUPER Midget and SUPER Compact are Generation 3 models (launched in late 2013) and both use our ridiculously awesome Barefaced 12XN550 12" driver. With the tweeter turned off on the SM it sounds essentially identical to the SC through the mids and highs. In the lows the SC sounds bigger and deeper whilst the SM is thumpier.

The SC has very similar lows and comparable output to the classic Compact, despite the latter having a 15", because it has huge excursion (more than enough to make up for the reduced cone size) and has a punchier tighter cleaner tone with better dispersion.

We're working on a new website at the moment because the current one contains so much information it's probably more confusing than helpful! ;) On the plus side if you email us I can usually diagnose what's best for you very quickly and easily.

It's very rewarding to see how many of our customers are still enjoying their cabs after many many gigs - our ethos is the opposite of the 'disposable generation', we want bassists to still be gigging 100 year old Barefaced cabs in the 22nd century. :) Of the Gen 1 & 2 models we know of less than 10 blown drivers out of 1000+ (and many of our customers use big amps in loud bands). Anyway, I'm rambling off topic again...

What I meant to say was that the popularity of the tone of the classic Midget+Compact stack was a key thing in the development of our 12XN driver - trying to get the punch and clarity that the Midget adds and the fatness and bottom the Compact brings but all from one driver (which ended up being a 12" but it could have been any size, we really don't care as long as it meets the goals).

We actually ended up with something a bit smoother and cleaner sounding but we really like it. In fact, tonally Midget+Compact probably sits in the middle-ish of a smooth/clean to growly/dirty scale about 1/3 of the way from the 12XN550 at the clean end and 2/3 of the way from the 10CR250 driver at the growly end.

Guest monsterthompson

Alex, your stuff is grand and it gives me GAS all day. I still want a G3 Big Baby II and a new 210. I love your passion for what you build.

I have just received a new super midget. I originally enquired about a sc but after mail discussions with Alex re what I was currently using and what sound I was after, Alex recommended the sm. So far so good although I have only had one gig I was extremely happy and had good feedback from band mates and audience.

Mail barefaced and enquire - the advice certainly felt tailored to my needs.