Why become a member? ×

Drumming perfection from Buddy Rich.

bubinga5

Man this guy imo is just up there with theeee best drummers who have ever lived. Buddy Rich. a short tempered master of rhythm. his drumming is just EPIC. this vid just says it all. his timing is just perfect, his touch is just perfect.when he's slows the tempo and then speeds it up again.. his drumming is nothing short of beautiful imo. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

First saw him in about 1970. What an eye-opener that was. There was no-one around like him.

His mood coloured every number and solo he played and he was apparently a real arse to work for according to most of the players in his big band.

I was convinced for about 15 years that he could actually play a one-handed roll (and drummers do nowadays) but it was an illusion he'd created. A real innovator and fabulous musician.

Superb. My father, who too was a drummer, used to take me to see him in the 70‘s along with another drummer he was a fan of, Joe Morello. Another drummer well worth listening too is / was Jake Hanna, an amazing brush player who like Buddy made the drums an instrument rather than just part of the rythm section.

Some pretty funny stories around regarding BR, and of course the dressing room and coach tapes
fuel it all. Watched him a few times in the 70/80's and always a great band with him, amazing in fact.
There are so many great vids worth checking out on YouTube.

The West Side Story medley was terrific Big Band Arranging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keKrzgskvtw

And for sheer power, the Trumpets are stonking, especially when Trpt 1 goes up the octave after the Alto solo.
Buddy swinging really hard with another great arrangement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSTXaBOuQ4

He is viewed with some ambivalence amongst Jazz musicians (as opposed to drummers); a great drummer but not such a rounded musician. His list of 'classic' credits in the Jazz world is minimal and I think he kind of fits in with those 'clinician' types who are unquestionably masters of the instrument they play but their ideas don't move very freely into the music of others (Wooten, Berlin, Manring etc). I think of these kinds of players are atheletes and acrobats rather than players. Joe Morello is a different kettle of fish. Much more 'musical'.

As for that Bozzio/Wackerman thing; icky.

I read a book about Bill Graham, the Fillmore promotor. He hated rock drum solo`s, and Ten Years After were playing. They have long drum solo`s in the set. He booked Buddy Rich to appear before them. He played his set . As Ten Years After started to take the stage, Bill Graham said follow that to the drummer. He said there were no long drum solo`s. Buddy Rich blew the audience away. I don`t think there will ever be a better drummer than Buddy Rich.

There's certainly a difference of appreciation here. BR, to me was a great showman, an innovative technician, but I'd go for many other drummers, even of the same period, for musicality. Joe Morello has been mentioned; he's one of my all-time favourites, but equally Jo Jones, on brushes, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Louie Bellson... More modern..? Christian Vander, Chad Wackerman, Terry Bozzio... They've taken the heritage and worked it up to another couple of levels. Bozzio with Zappa is amazing. Not saying that BR was bad, by any means, just that it 'talks' differently to me than some here, apparently. Normal, I suppose; we're all different..! :D

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1423361263' post='2683996']
Man this guy imo is just up there with theeee best drummers who have ever lived. Buddy Rich. a short tempered master of rhythm. his drumming is just EPIC. this vid just says it all. his timing is just perfect, his touch is just perfect.when he's slows the tempo and then speeds it up again.. his drumming is nothing short of beautiful imo. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k[/media]
[/quote]

Incorrect 1st sentence. He is far and away the greatest drummer that ever lived. ;-)

I saw him live twice, with my dad. The most talented musician I've ever seen by absolute miles, and he was a drummer!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1423511379' post='2685787']
He is viewed with some ambivalence amongst Jazz musicians (as opposed to drummers); a great drummer but not such a rounded musician. His list of 'classic' credits in the Jazz world is minimal and I think he kind of fits in with those 'clinician' types who are unquestionably masters of the instrument they play but their ideas don't move very freely into the music of others (Wooten, Berlin, Manring etc). I think of these kinds of players are atheletes and acrobats rather than players. Joe Morello is a different kettle of fish. Much more 'musical'.

[/quote]

Couldn't disagree more TBH.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1423519637' post='2685942']
There's certainly a difference of appreciation here. BR, to me was a great showman, an innovative technician, but I'd go for many other drummers, even of the same period, for musicality. Joe Morello has been mentioned; he's one of my all-time favourites, but equally Jo Jones, on brushes, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Louie Bellson... More modern..? Christian Vander, Chad Wackerman, Terry Bozzio... They've taken the heritage and worked it up to another couple of levels. Bozzio with Zappa is amazing. Not saying that BR was bad, by any means, just that it 'talks' differently to me than some here, apparently. Normal, I suppose; we're all different..! :D
[/quote]
Saw Wackerman with Holdsworth; thought he was dreadful. Never rated Bozzio either. Saw Bellson twice (?) too; good drummer.