Why become a member? ×

Musicman Basses & LED's

WhiteNGold

Hi folks,
got an itch for LED's and whether to have them installed into my Stingray, but also dealing with terrible GAS for a USA Sterling too atm. Im interested to see if LED's would benefit and what they would look like in MM basses...has anyone got an example they can share with me?

[quote name='WhiteNGold' timestamp='1423038318' post='2679754']
Hi folks,
got an itch for LED's and whether to have them installed into my Stingray, but also dealing with terrible GAS for a USA Sterling too atm. Im interested to see if LED's would benefit and what they would look like in MM basses...has anyone got an example they can share with me?
[/quote]

Dougie from McFly is probably the MM user that instantly comes to mind with LEDs loaded in his bass.

All Sterlings though I'm afraid!

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1423185291' post='2682090']
I just picked up a Sterling H at the weekend. It's a superb bass. The pickup switch is pure magic. [b]Way more options than a ray[/b]. It's the lightest bass ive owned and it is a joy to play. Good look with the gas ;-)
[/quote]

Not if you play a 5 string one ;) :D

[quote name='WhiteNGold' timestamp='1423251792' post='2682903']
I'm interested to know if the fretboard needs to be removed to install them...my PDN Stingray has a lacquered neck & fretboard join so that worries me...
[/quote]

This was a complete new carbon-fibre neck and the LEDs were installed during manufacture. Probably not what you are after but an alternative approach to what you want. I guess you need to talk to Sims.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1423304335' post='2683236']
What actually is the purpose of LED's on a bass? Do they have a purpose at all ..or are they just bling?

They don't seem to be common with pro's or many big name players. I have never even played a bass with any fitted in 35yrs of playing.
[/quote]

They make your fretboard easier to see on dark stages. I'm not a fan of them myself. Another solution would be to add luminlay markers on the side of the fretboard. It's a much cheaper solution than having L.E.D.s fitted.

Edited by inate_hex

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1423312325' post='2683364']

They make your fretboard easier to see on dark stages. I'm not a fan of them myself. Another solution would be to add luminlay markers on the side of the fretboard. It's a much cheaper solution than having L.E.D.s fitted.
[/quote]
If the OP spends lots of time playing on a dark stage then it might be a worthwhile mod....

Side LEDs are cool and useful, but personally I don't think front LEDS are useful for anything but show. Does anyone really look at the front of the fretboard and look for markers to help them play? I don't, but then again I guess some people might!

[quote name='WhiteNGold' timestamp='1423251792' post='2682903']
I'm interested to know if the fretboard needs to be removed to install them...my PDN Stingray has a lacquered neck & fretboard join so that worries me...
[/quote]

Sims are quite secretive about how they actually fit the LEDs, but I am fairly sure they would be able to fit them to your bass without much problem. I've seen plenty of basses with painted and/or lacquered finishes on the neck with Sim's LEDs in the past.

However, whether spending upwards of £600 or so to get them fitted is a good idea is another matter entirely. To me, it is a huge amount to spend on something which is essentially a superfluous novelty. For decades bass players managed without LEDs, until manufacturers created a desire for them. Ultimately it is just another gimmick designed to take your money from you. The first company to offer LEDs was Alembic back in the 1970's, usually as little red side- dots on the edge of the fingerboard. OK, I can see how they would be useful in certain situations, maybe, but then again in 30 odd years playing the bass I have never ever found a need for lights on the fingerboard. In the real world LEDs are unnecessary, from a playing point of view at least.It seems crass (and rather uncool) to be so focussed on flashy appearances.

Having said that, the Mint Green Sterling with the matching colour lights does look pretty sharp! Maybe I need to find a boy band willing to feature a clapped-out-40- something bass player with a big belly. :)