Why become a member? ×

What do you call your bass?

NJE

Hello,

Apologies if there is already a thread like this, I did have a quick search.

When my Roscoe Beck arrived my girlfriend asked me "what is the new one called then" I didn't know what to say. I have never really named guitars before despite being very attached to them, (probably more than is healthy to be honest)

I am bored at work so thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else called theirs. So with that, what does everyone call their basses?. Is it just a bass to you, or do you have a specific name for your bass/basses or refer to your bass as "he" or "she" or "the old girl"?

To start things off my Roscoe Beck is now referred to as Bex or Bexie.

Cheers all

Nathan

Edited by NJE

What a coincidence. I don't think I've ever given a bass of mine a name before, until last night!

I was gigging with my brand new Spector Euro 6 and thinking how incredibly throaty it sounded. Then seconds later, I was thinking how low and deep it went. Then it came to me that I should call it ... yes, you've guessed it, [i]Deep Throat[/i].

:)

My basses are called:
[list]
[*]the mustang
[*]the jazz
[*]the fretless precision
[*]the jamerson (MIJ '62 RI)
[*]The red precison
[*]the peavey (millenium 5)
[*]the blue ashbory
[*]the black ashbory
[*]the doghouse (Stentor 1950 3/4)
[*]the ned (NS-Design CR5M)
[*]the dano (longhorn)
[*]the cricket bat ('86 Hohner B2A)
[*]the blue musicmaster
[*]the pink musicmaster
[/list]
I sold the Dean Pace - that was always called "the banister".

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='260084' date='Aug 11 2008, 04:05 PM']Krishnan Guru-Murthy.[/quote]

I saw him come out of The Bass Cellar with a grin on his face once. I guess that makes him one of the many bass players who find the level of service in that place laughable.

I love naming basses, mine are always girls :) My Geddy was Dirty Tracey, Sunburst Jazz Fretted is Morag and my Black Jazz Fretless now has my Geddy's old name, I sold my 62 CIJ Reissue, she was called Love you Long Time. Sadder still, I call my 8x10 Julie.

i do name most things actually. my car kind of has a name by default (the pac-mobile, cause of the pacman on the roof), my plants have names, random spiders have names etc, but my basses are simply called 'the sterling' 'the acoustic' and 'the old one' (which i suppose is sort of a name).

the one that i actually did have a nickname for is on loan to me so i have managed to resist naming it so far. if i name it, it has to stay.

however, if i am talking about them to non-bassy people, usually if i want one passing to me, they are 'the brown one', 'the big black one with the hole in', 'the one in the lounge' and 'the spangly orange one'.

x