Why become a member? ×

Strange courier collection arrangement, advise sought

KennysFord

Hey folks,
I'm selling a head on these pages and the guy who has arranged to buy it is having a Polish collection agent come to my works to collect it and pay me cash.

As this is a new kind of arrangement for me I'm wondering if any of you guys have had similar dealings ??
I'm a little apprehensive if I'm being honest as I've not dealt this way before.
Any thoughts ??
Cheers.
B)

I was thinking along those lines.
The buyer is a new member, under 10 posts but his location is set in the UK.
I've asked him to call me so we'll see how that goes I guess.
Cheers Bud.
B)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1420554722' post='2650559']
maybe get one of those tester pens or something, make sure it's not dodgy notes.
[/quote]

Got to be a little bit careful with those.
As with all countermeasures, crooks immediately start working on ways to beat them and it is reputed that a chemical spray is being used to coat the notes rendering the pen test ineffective.

It could just be that the buyer is equally cautious and using a friend to collect the bass.

Ask to see a driving licence or passport before parting with the goods and jot down the details (or photocopy it).

If it's a legit transaction then there shouldn't be a problem.
If it's a con then it's a fairly low level one that probably wouldn't call for fake ID. :)

I don't want to sound alarmist but it sounds odd to me - why have a Polish collection agent when the buyer resides in the UK? The foreign collection agent situation sounds much like an eBay scam that I've heard about - definitely check the notes to be sure they're not counterfeit. Hope it all goes well!

It could just be that this Polish bass player has a mate who has a courier service and happens to be coming your way? As long as you get the cash before handing over the goods all should be good. Especially as it's happening at your place of work? I'd create a delivery note and get some ID from the guy (maybe photocopy his driving licence?) if you're unsure?

This sounds suspiciously like a well-documented scam used by some unscrupulous Nigerian folks (other nationalities are available...). There is a last-minute hiccup concerning the cash and one has Western Union offered, or similar. Of course, it could prove to be genuine, but I'd recommend as much precaution as possible (go with a friend or two, during bank opening hours to get the notes checked, vehicle numbers, etc...). Let us know how it all works out, please, for better or worse...? Could serve for others...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1420557523' post='2650601']
There is a last-minute hiccup concerning the cash and one has Western Union offered, or similar.
[/quote]

+1

I meant to mention that earlier but got sidetracked.

UK Cash only.
No foreign currency, cheques or wired transfers.

I had a similar dealing about 5 years ago with a Russian buyer, no problems either.

To be honest, if they ahve the cash, then sell them the head, its no different to any other cash on collection sale. The fact its a Polish middle-man, I think is irrelevant.

But, as has been muted, if the guy turns up and says theres a last minute problem, just turn away. And, get a test pen from a bank for testing notes. I know Barclays give you them, because i've got several over recent years, very quick peace of mind.

It all sounds strange and you're right to have concerns, but if you get English currency (and in mean English cos i wouldn't know i forged Scottish note from a real one and i live in Northumberland where lots circulate) up front and you're happy it is real then no issues.

I'm not sure about photocopying docs, i wouldn't let you copy mine cos of identity fraud.

[quote name='Born under a bad sign' timestamp='1420558344' post='2650618']

I'm not sure about photocopying docs, i wouldn't let you copy mine cos of identity fraud.
[/quote]
Exactly. there is probably a Polish guy on PolskiBassChat asking if a seller in the UK wanting his driving licence and passport to copy is normal especially given he will be handing over the cash in person! :D

I would never give anyone those documents for a bass sale or purchase unless it was for getting finance or something, what are you even going to do with them if the money is fake, what does a legit Polish driving licence look like? (I dont even know how to spell licence or license!)

I'd be very wary of any arrangement that isn't straightforward and transparent. It sounds like a scam to me if I'm honest. I would at the very least want to ring the buyer when the 'courier' is on the doorstep, and require verifyable address and phone number for the buyer. As the others have said, make 100% sure any cash you are given is cash and not worthless bog-roll.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420566025' post='2650728']

I would never give anyone those documents for a bass sale or purchase unless it was for getting finance or something, what are you even going to do with them if the money is fake, what does a legit Polish driving licence look like? (I dont even know how to spell licence or license!)
[/quote]

Me neither.

The polish for 'Driving Licence' is Prawo Jazdy. This confused the Garda, who had been writing it down as the first name and surname of drivers they stopped. For a time he was Ireland's most wanted man. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7899171.stm

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1420567249' post='2650746']
Why not meet the guy at your bank, go in with him and pay he notes in over the counter while he's with you ?

:)
[/quote]
This would be my choice or meet the guy and get him to ring his mate once he is happy with the bass then ask for an instant transfer where you can login and check?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1420568459' post='2650757']

Me neither.

The polish for 'Driving Licence' is Prawo Jazdy. This confused the Garda, who had been writing it down as the first name and surname of drivers they stopped. For a time he was Ireland's most wanted man. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7899171.stm
[/quote]

Love it!