Why become a member? ×

Covers bands - how do you agree on new songs?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1420381456' post='2648563']
We work backwards from "what will the audience like" and "will it fit in with the rest of our set".... and I don't care what I play as long as the punters like it!
[/quote]
Same as us and we are lucky that eveyone is happy with that arrangement, although it tends to be a case of "can we do a decent version" rather than will it fit.

That's a load of bollocks about if one person doesn't agree then you don't do it! Grow up, it's just a song. It's not like you're asking them to be injected with ebola. In our band if someone suggests something we learn it. We see if it works well to decide whether we keep it. I find it incredibly pathetic when people won't play songs cos they don't like them or the band. Childish!

Going very slightly OT, my main band has a one-member-veto system on any new song (though it's not like we have a formal constitution and that's written down somewhere :lol: ) but I never exercise my veto without first learning to play the song, no matter how unenthusiastic I am about it.

Some of the best basslines I've played have been in songs that I hated!

Plus I wouldn't want anyone to think I had vetoed a song just because I couldn't handle the bassline. No, the truth is that Rythm Stick is a rubbish song with a rubbish bassline. Ahem.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1420396364' post='2648864']
I find it incredibly pathetic when people won't play songs cos they don't like them or the band.
[/quote]

Depends what kind of covers band you're in, really. I'll play songs I don't particularly like in a function band where I'm getting £250 per gig - that's work as far as I'm concerned and you play what people want to hear. But if it's just pub rock covers and the whole band's getting £250 in total, then I'll be doing it for my own pleasure and won't play songs I don't like.

Grow up, it's just a song. Childish!
[/quote]

I think if you're really grown up you might consider playing original material instead of covers. Any kid can play covers, can't they?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420398055' post='2648900']
Depends what kind of covers band you're in, really. I'll play songs I don't particularly like in a function band where I'm getting £250 per gig - that's work as far as I'm concerned and you play what people want to hear. But if it's just pub rock covers and the whole band's getting £250 in total, then I'll be doing it for my own pleasure and won't play songs I don't like.

I think if you're really grown up you might consider playing original material instead of covers. Any kid can play covers, can't they?
[/quote]
Even in your pub band its a bit pathetic, what if someone in your band does like it. It's only a song!

I have considered playing my own music! I do! Done it for years! Still do! I have two original bands! I don't see it as being superior or more grown up to playing covers. It's just playing notes. I put the same amount of effort and passion into whatever i play. Including bloody musicals in theatres. The difference and satisfaction of playing originals is on the compositional element,for me, not the playing of it!

Another one for Excel spreadsheets here. Everyone suggests an agreed number of songs at a time. Everyone then scores everyone elses songs; 1 (no way) 2 (It's ok) or 3 (yep, like it). Highest scoring songs go into set. A bit clinical, but no arguments have ensued using this system as it's a very democratic process!!

Edited by Wilco

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1420398586' post='2648915']
Even in your pub band its a bit pathetic, what if someone in your band does like it. It's only a song!
[/quote]

Only a song? It's only a band. A band is [i]only [/i]songs, what else? More like 'what if someone in your band [i]doesn't [/i]like a song.' If you have a one-person veto then you end up with songs that [i]everyone [/i]likes. What's wrong with that? You carry on playing songs you don't like - I won't.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1420398586' post='2648915']
I have considered playing my own music! I do! Done it for years! Still do! I have two original bands! I don't see it as being superior or more grown up to playing covers. It's just playing notes. I put the same amount of effort and passion into whatever i play. Including bloody musicals in theatres. The difference and satisfaction of playing originals is on the compositional element,for me, not the playing of it!
[/quote]

Yes... I didn't actually mean to post that comment, but now you've quoted it. Ha! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420398927' post='2648920']
Only a song? It's only a band. A band is [i]only [/i]songs, what else? More like 'what if someone in your band [i]doesn't [/i]like a song.' If you have a one-person veto then you end up with songs that [i]everyone [/i]likes. What's wrong with that? You carry on playing songs you don't like - I won't.

Yes... I didn't actually mean to post that comment, but now you've quoted it. Ha! :D
[/quote]
Ha ha.

Bloody democracies!

I just don't get bothered about playing a song that I'm not into.

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1420399318' post='2648933']
Bloody democracies! I just don't get bothered about playing a song that I'm not into.
[/quote]

Fine! You just go and live in Russia, then! :D

Seriously though, life's too short to do things you don't like. I live mainly for pleasure these days. :)
But I do visit BassChat as a sort of penance to get my daily punishment hit...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420399709' post='2648944']
Fine! You just go and live in Russia, then! :D

Seriously though, life's too short to do things you don't like. I live mainly for pleasure these days. :)
But I do visit BassChat as a sort of penance to get my daily punishment hit...
[/quote]ha ha :lol:

is it that obvious that I'm a marxist!

That's a load of bollocks about if one person doesn't agree then you don't do it! Grow up, it's just a song. It's not like you're asking them to be injected with ebola. In our band if someone suggests something we learn it. We see if it works well to decide whether we keep it. I find it incredibly pathetic when people won't play songs cos they don't like them or the band. Childish!
[/quote]

What is the point of making someone dance through hoops for a song they don't like?
I find we play better on the songs that we want to do... so no one is forced to do anything.
If you want to tire out a band before its time..load it with a load of resentment over things
that they have to rather than they want to do..
Songs are just part of this but it is better a band pulls in the right/same direction rather than
be forced to..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1420400681' post='2648972']
What is the point of making someone dance through hoops for a song they don't like?
I find we play better on the songs that we want to do... so no one is forced to do anything.
If you want to tire out a band before its time..load it with a load of resentment over things
that they have to rather than they want to do..
Songs are just part of this but it is better a band pulls in the right/same direction rather than
be forced to..
[/quote]I'm in bands with people who are emotionally stable enough to play a a tune without it causing resentment!
I'm not on about playing an entire setlist of songs everyone in the band hates.

I'm not a vastly talented or experienced muso, but the last band I played in was a house band where we did all kinds of "hit songs" I would NEVER either a) choose or b... have the slightest interest in. But it payed the bills and got me gigging in a huge naff off sports stadium in Germany to 3500 people who danced and had a damn good time for 2 and a half hours. They were happy, I was happy, result.

Edited by Meatbag

We simply will never agree on songs so we now choose in turn, it's up to everybody to learn the chosen song (after all it will be their choice again before long) we then give it a try, if we can play it then fine, if we can't we bin it, the criteria is that it should be a song that suits the band, a well known chart hit and something that our audience will enjoy.....to me we now have a complete mishmash of a set with songs being chosen for self indulgent purposes...however in spite of my feelings towards half of the set we are still one of the most successful covers bands in the area!

Just to illustrate, the last 4 chosen songs were The Bangles version of Hazy Shade of Winter (my choice) Back of my Hand, The Jags, Counting Stars by One Republic (which I can't stand) and Love me Again by John Numan (which again I can't stand) however we play them all very well so they will go in the set and live or die by audience response

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1420403318' post='2649032']
I wouldn't expect to force someone to play a song but I would hope they'd give it a go and see if it works. After all, you can all be keen to do a song and it just doesn't work.

Playing bass in an Abba tribute was an educational experience in terms of only playing what you love
[/quote]
Playing Abba stuff got me into them. I got a gig playing take that, abba and some other pop stuff. Not really my bag at the time. But after that gig I appreciated it loads more and actually got into it!