Why become a member? ×

JV Precision

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1420453242' post='2649408']
As previously mentioned looks genuine. Looks like a JV collector when looking at other items for sale.
[/quote]

Well spotted! And the black JV-P he's selling has the original certificate and manual :) Never seen those before
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Fender-JV-Precision-Bass-not-squier-black-COLLECTORS-LOOK-/271728461556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3f444746f4"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f444746f4[/url]

[edit] although I see it has 'Made in Japan' on the neck - they normally don't, which I presume means something to somebody more knowledgable than me.

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1420458794' post='2649471']
Well spotted! And the black JV-P he's selling has the original certificate and manual :) Never seen those before
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Fender-JV-Precision-Bass-not-squier-black-COLLECTORS-LOOK-/271728461556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3f444746f4"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f444746f4[/url]

[edit] although I see it has 'Made in Japan' on the neck - they normally don't, which I presume means something to somebody more knowledgable than me.
[/quote]

Yes. It means it was made in Japan

*Swish.. Genius*

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1420458794' post='2649471']

[/quote]

They do ! I have one (a '62 version) from 82. I can't vouch for the colour, although many others above have. But otherwise it looks genuine, and a rare colour too! Everything else is exactly the same as mine. The only thing, if you are really anal and want it original, is to check the pots are CTS pots. I can't see it written on them in the pic, but it looks great otherwise. CTS pots are the originals as I understand, and were fitted to vintage Fenders too.
Good luck, I'm happy with mine, their rep is well deserved.

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1420462074' post='2649536']
They do ! I have one (a '62 version) from 82. I can't vouch for the colour, although many others above have. But otherwise it looks genuine, and a rare colour too! Everything else is exactly the same as mine. The only thing, if you are really anal and want it original, is to check the pots are CTS pots. I can't see it written on them in the pic, but it looks great otherwise. CTS pots are the originals as I understand, and were fitted to vintage Fenders too.
Good luck, I'm happy with mine, their rep is well deserved.
[/quote]

My JV doesn't have MIJ on the neck heel, and neither does the red one in the listing. I'm wondering if it got introduced on the last batches before they became SQ serial? I have an SQ too and it's a very different feel.

Edited by tedmanzie

I think the black one is a Fender JV, not a Squier JV? Not the same thing, although I am not entirely sure what the difference is. One popped up here a while ago.

Edit to make more sense - a Fender with a JV serial number, as opposed to a Squier or the early Fender logo'd 'Squier Series'.

I think I read sometime that these were for the domestic market and not export. But I could have made that bit up :)

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1420472900' post='2649700']
I think the black one is a Fender JV, not a Squier JV? Not the same thing, although I am not entirely sure what the difference is. One popped up here a while ago.

Edit to make more sense - a Fender with a JV serial number, as opposed to a Squier or the early Fender logo'd 'Squier Series'.

I think I read sometime that these were for the domestic market and not export. But I could have made that bit up :)
[/quote]

Oh yes I didn't notice the Fender logo, I guess the domestic market thing explains why it isn't a JV0--- serial (I thought Fender logo JVs were all 0 serial)

Yeah, the black one is a domestic model. The '55' sticker denotes the price in yen - it's one of the lower priced ones, hence the non-period correct tuners and bridge. The US parts thing is a bit of a myth - the few parts that did come from the US were mostly restricted to early Strats.

There's tons of info on the 21frets site - it's ridiculously difficult to navigate (most of the pages don't have menus) so if you want to visit [url="http://www.21frets.com/sitemap.html"]this page[/url] is the place to start.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1420331336' post='2648258']
The colour combo may be one not produced outside of Japan.
I've been looking at Fender mij basses for a while and there are many more colour options.
The knobs are definitely wrong. Should be flat-top knurled chrome ones.
[/quote] not true on both parts.
These knobs were also used. Colours don't look wrong to me, only thing is the scratch plate, should be single ply, can't see if is or not.

[quote name='CH161' timestamp='1420477438' post='2649771']
My understanding is that the Fender JV was for the domestic market and Squire JV was for export.
Same specs as I understand it. Lots of US parts too including CTS pots and some hardware.
[/quote] Partially right on the first bit, wrong on the rest.
Big Fender small Squier logo - export small numbers...
Big Squier logo... - export
Big Fender JV - domestic *at different price points*
Squier SQ - export, not more 70's influenced
Squier E series - also made similar time....

All different specs!
*SOME* of the earlier strata may have supposedly had Fender USA pickups in. But the rest was japanese. Willing to bet if you bought this bass and took one of the screws out it would have a metric thread ;)
the CTS pots I'm not sure about.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1420656925' post='2651844']
luke I think that with the rosewood board this is a 62 reissue - the 57 reissue would have a maple neck - and as such a three ply pickguard would be correct :)
[/quote] :) I've a feeling I might be wrong here... but didn't the export JV come either with the single ply white or the tort, the white normally on the '57 and the tort on the '62? was there a 3 ply white option too?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1420884091' post='2654465']
:) I've a feeling I might be wrong here... but didn't the export JV come either with the single ply white or the tort, the white normally on the '57 and the tort on the '62? was there a 3 ply white option too?
[/quote] WBA guard with fiesta was a classic 60s/shadows bass with rosewood board