Why become a member? ×

PJ bass?

Dan Dare

Would value everyone's thoughts/advice. Recently bought a G&L L2000 Trib as a working instrument, so could give the old Jazz a rest and have wider range of tones, in particular the P bass sound. It's versatile/playable enough - am getting to grips with the wider flatter neck (have had the J for 30 years, so it's almost part of me) - but doesn't really do it for me in the way the old beast does. Leaves me a bit cold. Am looking for a vintage/old skool vibe. Thinking about building a PJ - Warmoth body, Jazz neck, Nordstrands/Fralins,etc.

All suggestions/views, experiences of PJs much appreciated. Thanks and happy new year.

Yamaha BB424/1024/2024!

They have the old skool passive thing going on in spades. They look great, medium profile necks (somewhere between Jazz and Precision feel), terrific Yamaha construction and generally ideal for all situations. The 2000 series BB's are really quite special instruments.

There's a couple 1024's on sale here at the moment I think?

Truckstop

I`d have a look at Precisions in general, find one you really gel with, then get a J pickup put in. I favour the 2008 onwards series Precisions, they`re fantastic basses, and modding one with a J pickup of your choice would probably be easier than finding or building one. Plus get one 2nd hand and you get a fantastic bass for not much money at all.

I did hear of someone with a G&L SB2 PJ for sale.

Can't think who. But I'll let you know if I recall.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247893-fs-gl-sb-2-tribute-pj-bass%3B-as-new-price-drop/page__fromsearch__1"][/url]

Edited by Grangur

I've just fitted a new scratchplate to this and disconnected the Jazz pickup as I never use it. Still to take pics of it but this is what it was like when i bought it. Slim C Jazz neck.

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/Fender%20FSR%20Precision/DSC01484Large.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420132807' post='2645982']
Yamaha BB424/1024/2024!

They have the old skool passive thing going on in spades. They look great, medium profile necks (somewhere between Jazz and Precision feel), terrific Yamaha construction and generally ideal for all situations. The 2000 series BB's are really quite special instruments.

There's a couple 1024's on sale here at the moment I think?

Truckstop
[/quote]

This. I use two 424s and I cannot fault them. In fact I prefer them over their more expensive brothers as they nail the Precision sound - the 1024 has a slightly different P pickup. I use the P pickup alone most of the time, but it's nice to mix the J in sometimes for a slightly tighter sound. They pop up on here from time to time for around £200 - no brainer.

Might be worth trying out a Fender Precision Lyte. PJ pups, active. Uber skinny neck, much like the Geddy Lee or Jaguar neck, and weighs around 7.5lbs. The P pup on its own doesn't sound exactly like a Precision but is is deep and dark. PJ together sound a bit burpy like a Jazz with both pups but perhaps a bit darker. They are usually pretty cheap to pick up too £300 +/- depending upon condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the bass arrived this week with no issues (always a bit worrying when you buy mail order). Well packed/protected. Plus points - very playable neck, correct amount of relief, clean fret ends, nicely finished. A few rough edges - tuners a bit gritty (much better for a drop of lube and adjustment). Poor pickup balance - bridge/J pu overpowered by the P. Replaced the nasty cheap foam under the P with thinner closed cell foam so could adjust the height properly. Cheap flimsy bridge - fitted a Gotoh 201. It's turned out well - wide tonal range and have to admit the neck is nice. More to follow after it's done a few jobs.