Why become a member? ×

Jools' Hoot

Roland Rock

I've just flicked through about 45 minutes (about 40 too much?).
Joss Stone never seems to (quite) deliver, though she's improved with age
Ronnie Spector I like, but the range ain't there no more, but a fun (& talented act)
Paloma Faith - reeeally? Someone needs to tell this one that NO ONE struts like Tina....
....reminded me of Mrs Overall on a talent show......
Someone earlier remarked about JH showboating, got it in one, so bloody irritating.
I don't think I'll bother watching the rest.

:(

And not once has any one mentioned the bungled attempt to chop off Josh's head...... I'd have settled for someone giving her laryngitis for Christmas ...
I'd have liked to have seen something along the lines of an African bands news years jam, they always have great bass tones and an interesting take on bass playing.....or something like the debut of sea sick Steve..... That's the type of thing i want to see on jools's show.... Refreshing, not regurgitation.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1420212297' post='2646719']
Wilco was awful - I think a bit of boogie-woogie piano would have improved his set though.
[/quote]I really hope you were joking
Just watching now, I always record it so I can skip the bits I don't like (note, I said the bits I don't like, not the crap bits, I'm not keen on people slagging other peoples music off) and I skipped through very little, liked Wilco, being a bit of a punk I like my live music with a few rough edges, nice to see the old farts had still got their voices, unlike a certain ex Beatle I could mention, Private Number had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.
I didn't even mind Jools muscling on nearly everybody's set, but why does he have to have equal prominence to guests? what a narcissist, and oh yeah I could do without the often toe curling guest interviews

Edited by PaulWarning

Recorded it and watched part of it when we got back (about 3AM). Skipped over William Bell, Boz Scaggs, Ronnie Spector, and Ed Sheeran (mainly due to content although Ronnie Spector's voice took a little while to get going and was somewhat wobbly even then), thought Paloma Faith should have just used her own voice for the Tina Turner cover instead of trying to do a TT impression (the first song was good though), Wilko could have done with Daltrey, rehearsals, and a guitar tuner, but no problem with his energy levels, Ruby Turner nailed it, Joss Stone didn't quite seem on full song. Liked Clean Bandit, thought Paolo Nutini has a great voice - reminiscent of Paul Rodgers. Haven't got to Hayseed Dixie yet.

I think, from what I've seen, had I been in, I could quite happily have left it playing and ignored a few bits (especially the ones involving Jools's honking and tonking).

Oh, and now Dawn French has lost that chubbiness round her face, she looks absolutely stunning.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1420195034' post='2646484']
p.s. I'm also not quite sure who Joss Stone failed to f**k to deserve the opprobrium she's been getting at the hands of some of my fellow Basschatterers. I don't listen to her output on anything like a regular basis, but at times I heard definite hints of Janis Joplin.
[/quote]

I posted originally that her career seems to have faltered, yet I think she has a naturally great voice. I was really trying to place her against Paloma Faith who is everywhere at the moment, is seen as a soul singer, but isn't even in the same league for me. My opinion of course, but I always heard Paloma's singing as being a fake voice, like someone is doing an impression. Have you heard her talk? She sounds like David Beckham.

Oh yeah Hayseed! I only saw eye of the tiger, and is wasn't great for me! I was expecting a killer banjo solo- the banjo player stepped forward in the hole....and not much came out.

What are they like as players? Is it just a novelty thing or can they really shred? Because they didn't from what I saw. But that's pretty much my only experience of them.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1420237073' post='2647131']
Oh yeah Hayseed! I only saw eye of the tiger, and is wasn't great for me! I was expecting a killer banjo solo- the banjo player stepped forward in the hole....and not much came out.

What are they like as players? Is it just a novelty thing or can they really shred? Because they didn't from what I saw. But that's pretty much my only experience of them.
[/quote]

I've seen them several times, absolutely incredible live, but that was in the days of the Reno brothers on banjo and mandolin. They've now left, and I can't comment on the new guys (the banjo player holds the title of 'Worlds fastest banjo player'), I confess I was disappointed with them on Jools too, I don't like 'Eye of the tiger' anyway, perhaps they'd be better on a different song. With better song choices I'd have liked to have seen them have a bigger part in the show, the band I've seen before would have wiped the floor with everybody there. I quite enjoyed this year's Jools, although nothing blew me away. Although I love Wilko (also seen him several times) and especially Norm, I didn't go much on either song-I noted Norm was using all Ashdown rather than the Trace stuff he favoured before, including one of the all-valve heads, but he wasn't that high in the mix. Still a delight that Wilko is still around to be there at all. Otherwise more of the usual, but there are worse ways to spend NYE.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1420151562' post='2646235']
I've been a fan of Ruby Turner ever since catching Jools and his R&B Orchestra at the Albert Hall a few years ago. It was a good night all round, but when Ruby let rip I had goosebumps from my cheeks to my toes! You can't argue with that, it eirher happens or it doesn't. I was astonished by her talent :)x
[/quote]

We saw her with JH in Brighton just before Chrimbo. She is a force of nature, just awesome.

FWIW I quite like Jools, I go to see the Brighton Christmas show every year and watch Later if I'm about when it's on. I like the variety of performers and I'll take live music in any form over 99% of the dross that fills our telly schedules any day of the week.

To those who wish to criticise the show / format, you carry on lads, it's cool if you don't like it. I'm sure you're not bothered that I do, so we're all good right?