Why become a member? ×

DJing

lojo

I Dj'd in clubs in the 90's, wouldn't know one end of a booth from the other now though with all this technology.
Would you believe the young'ns don't even carry vinyl these day's, they don't know what they're missing carrying 160 records up three flights of stairs and across a dance floor full of sweaty armpits.

I just have a wedding/party playlist on Spotify and plug my laptop into the PA. I have Spotify set up to 'mix' the songs into each other and the songs are in an order that works as the evening progresses. I also have a jazz dining playlist and acoustic covers playlist for during meals and reception drinks etc.

I often share the playlist with a bride and groom and ask them to add any of their favourites. This way my playlist builds without me doing much work 😀

I used to DJ in Leeds during the 80s at the Phono, Warehouse and University - mainly funk and general indie oddities... That was in the days when a Citronic Hawaii with Stanton carts was the beezkneez!
I remember someone once asking me to play some "Proper dance music {I was playing "Flashlight" at the time} like the Virgin Prunes". Unfortunately for him I had "Pagan Lovesong" which he was obliged to dance to, on his own, in the meddle of the University Refectory in front of 1000 wannabe funksters!

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1419885877' post='2643670']
I Dj'd in clubs in the 90's, wouldn't know one end of a booth from the other now though with all this technology.
Would you believe the young'ns don't even carry vinyl these day's, they don't know what they're missing carrying 160 records up three flights of stairs and across a dance floor full of sweaty armpits.
[/quote]

Ha! I could have written that myself!!....So true.

Re OP's Q....I have 3 big playlists on iPod: chilled, grooving and dancing for different grades of mood and dance. We also have a DJ we bring in when budget allows.

Edited by Bassnut62

If you want to try a budget solution before shelling out hundreds on a proper pro setup, then I rate Algoriddim's "djay 2" app. I use it on the iPad, not sure if there's an Android version too. They've recently added Spotify support, so you can mix your own collection with anything you can find on Spotify.

You need to get a headphone splitter cable to allow you to cue up the next track, I think this was about £12.

With just the cable and the app, you can pull off some passable beat-matched mixes, but I've just added a Numark midi controller so I have a real crossfader and slightly better pitch control. It's a Numark "iDJ Live 2". This was about £40 from eBay.

Obviously it'll never provide that lovely tactility that a pair of 1210s does... But considering the whole setup (not including the iPad obviously) including app, splitter cable, and controller was no more than about £60, I'm pretty impressed to be honest.

Here's the setup, excuse the poor photo and general clutter next to it!

[url="http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/alexbaker27/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html"][/url]

I do it off Spotify at function gigs, have a paid account and a fairly typical playlist ready to go, plus others with huge banks of tunes sorted by genre/decade ready to go, all saved for offline play so i'm not dependent on venue wifi. It's not 'proper' DJing but it does the job!

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this thread cos I've just had a mid life crisis and gone back to vinyl.

Picked up a cheap pair of Gemini belt drives off some chap for £40. They needed new styli but they were cheap enough off eBay. Got a mixer and picked up some crates of trance vinyl off eBay again (I grew up on a diet of electronic and trance as a teenager so it made sense)

Writing this with a way out west album on in the background spinning away in the background.

I'm hooked on vinyl.

The sound of plastic is quite amazing. Very analog and 'real'

I hope I don't turn into one of those "audiophiles"

I'm not one for high quality gear anyway ha
😂😋

Do yourself a favour and go oldskool ! It's totally worth it 😁👌

Umm...there's not much to be said for hefting two or three cabin trunks full of vinyl in to a Christmas gig, and then having the bloody stuff jump & clank its way through 'Come on Eileen' as a couple of dozen drunks leap around in front of the decks....trust me, I've done it (not lately...). Vinyl has a place, it can work in static club situations and at home, but it is a really bad idea as a normal (mobile) gig tool.

:)

.....and a 50p piece stuck over the headshell with blu-tak?

During a very hectic season back in the day, a somewhat shy bloke from the band that had just finished came over and said ' excuse me, but are you professional?' I answered yes, and he responded with 'I thought so, most of your plugs seem to be held together with tape' - I grinned as he stammered on 'only real guys use their gear that much'...........

:)