Why become a member? ×

Old valve amps. Talk to me...!

Dazed

Just recently I've got it into my head I need a valve amp. I'm talking old stuff here. Ampeg b15 v4b b25b that kind of thing. I've been feeding the gas listening to lots of old school stuff with a plain old precision and I'm guessing a b15 of some sort and I just love the tone.

I realise none of the above are ideal for a gigging situation due to the lack output but that's fine for me at the moment as I'm currently gig less.

What options do I have? I'm using a markbass cmd121p right now and that's a great amp. Would one of the tech 21 / bdi21 type pedals give me what I'm looking for?

HELP! :lol:

Runoffgroove's Flipster or Ginger might hit the spot if you're looking for that kind of sound from a pedal. The Flipster is recreation of the preamp from the SB12 (the amp Jamerson used) and the Ginger is an update to closer replicate the sound of the amp.

I've got the Flipster and like it very much, but I'll be getting the Ginger at some point as well.

What are you listening to?

I'm assuming your listening to old recordings? If so you're probably not actually listening to a valve amp, but either a bass being DI'ed or a valve amp going through extensive EQing in a studio.

You've got a good combo, so I'd look at putting a preamp pedal in front of it. The Aguilar Tonehammer pedal might do the trick.

Some excellent suggestion thanks.
It's difficult to describe what I'm looking/listening for. It's not quite overdriven or distorted or harsh I guess a kind of softer smoother break up if that makes sense?
I realise it's almost impossible to replicate a recorded tone due to production techniques and processes.

As a start I ordered a behringer bdi21 pedal, that seems the cheapest way to stick a toe in the water. It's just arrived so an update hopefully later :)

Edited by Dazed

Unfortunately that´s not an old valve amp but some cheap crap pretending to be something which it is not. There´s a german saying: if you buy cheap you´ll be buying twice....
If you want an valve amp which is capable of gigging then get something with 100W or more. Fender Bassman 100, 135 or studio bass are fantastic as well as Boogie d180 or 400, Ampeg V4B or SVT or Hiwatt Custom 100. Get one of these and don´t look back. Anything transistor or - even worse - digital will never ever come close.

• 11 months later...

The vintage sound you are after dazed is pushed mids and rolled off treble and the BDI21 pedal will give you it. Modern amps usually have a very 'hifi' sound, and I use the Behringer unit to get a warmer, beefier sound. Some amps have that built in (Ashdown Evos comes to mind) but you can't clean it up. Tube amp fans are usually after the grind and gritty distortion of the old school for rock/metal.

Try 'stuff' and see what works. I found my Peavey 700 transistor amp to be much more to my taste than the VBA 400 I also had at the same time. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tech21 VT DI is very impressive, I would like the Hiwatt equivalent. Most impressive amp (not bass) I have tried recently - a Stagg transistor practice amp, instant :) with cheapo tele copy and rusty strings. I would say better than my fender valve amp and USA tele. YMMV go figure.[/font][/color]

Edited by 3below

So you have a choice, a valve amp or some type of eq/effects unit. Don't take much notice of the Behringer knockers in tis case. The BDI21 aims to get the mpeg sound from an analogue pedal. So does the Tech21 but they are not clones, just pedals with similar aims and model numbers (got to love Behringer Marketing).

A big ol valve amp will do the trick (if it is an Ampeg) but valve amps are not all the same. whether when driven normally or overdriven. Take care not to waste your money. Also remember that many Ampegs (SVT 3 Pro for example) have solid state power amps, ironic when you think that many think the valve output stage gives the "valve sound".

So if you only need the Ampeg sound, buy an Ampeg. If not the Tech21 or Behringer pedals give you the flexibility.

They're beautiful things old valve amps. I used to gig two Hiwatt 100s a few years ago - wonderful amps. If I were gigging now I,d choose and EBS with a valve preamp. You get the old school valve loading, without the hassle and weight of an all valve top.

If you want a pedal, Trace Elliot did one in the early 90s and you can get bass specific valve pedals on eBay (can't remember the bloke name). Dave something.