Why become a member? ×

Oh dear, new band picks cr@p set...!!!!

JTUK

I think you're going to need a couple of pub gigs, or some kind of gigs, to shake things down.

The one place you will get family groups of 30-40 is the open air festivals - around here they are very popular with that family group, they can take the kids out and let them blow off a bit of steam, have a picnic, a couple of beers and relax.

I'd never heard of Ordinary World and had to look it up - if you're going to do a Durannie you'd be better off with something from their good period in the '80s, more uptempo, that people will remember.

I would put a lot of thought into the set and the numbers I would pick would be the ones the band could do well epically in the vocal department . In my experience once you get past a certain level you take for granted that all the bands can play well and sound good. I wouldn't try to please everyone, there are more bands then work for acts like that. The right set can make or break you so have one that makes you special and stands out from the crowd.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1419451491' post='2640187']
I think you're going to need a couple of pub gigs, or some kind of gigs, to shake things down.

The one place you will get family groups of 30-40 is the open air festivals - around here they are very popular with that family group, they can take the kids out and let them blow off a bit of steam, have a picnic, a couple of beers and relax.

I'd never heard of Ordinary World and had to look it up - if you're going to do a Durannie you'd be better off with something from their good period in the '80s, more uptempo, that people will remember.
[/quote]

I wouldn't have picked Duran but as a compromise that is the one song that I quite like... but yes, hopefully it wont survive
one of the more critical gigs set list. To me, it is a decent tune, but where would you put it in a set..??
It probably doesn't do enough for me...so in that sense, a nothing 'pick'...
And as always, before we think about binning songs, you need to hear how they come out..

We will do a few warm-ups but the 'options' I have are 'headline slots' so we need to be good from the off...

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1419453472' post='2640207']
I would put a lot of thought into the set and the numbers I would pick would be the ones the band could do well epically in the vocal department . In my experience once you get past a certain level you take for granted that all the bands can play well and sound good. I wouldn't try to please everyone, there are more bands then work for acts like that. [b]The right set can make or break you so have one that makes you special and stands out from the crowd[/b].
[/quote]

The band will be able to play and the vocals are going to be very good ...from what we have done in pre-rehearsal or we wouldn't pick John Farnham otherwise..
so all we have to do is not get the set too wrong..hopefully :lol:

It is not so much the era the songs come from, I just don't want them to sound typically dated and the 80's is very dstinctive in some respects...ie,
production, gtr, synths, big hair and drums..etc etc etc. so, just get rid of all that and we are on the right track :lol: :lol:

I played planet earth(Duran) ,in my last band. The 2 guitarists, we're having trouble with the dual middle bit. I suggested they started off with the guitars.
We played it in the style of maiden , and it always went down well. Nice brief bass solo too.
What? No mustang Sally ? No rivers of Babylon ?;)

You might find this interesting. Nik Kershaw talking about his songs on the Sodajerker podcast and that in his heyday, the audience was split between teenage girls and musos - the latter being there for the very clever songwriting.

A good song can take any arrangement, and your list has some crackers.

http://www.sodajerker.com/episode-23-nik-kershaw/

Funny enough, someone asked me to play a few songs with them recently and top of the agenda was........ Nik kershaw...
But... I was pleasantly surprised to hear the new (?) version of the songs released by Nik on a solo album with him just playing guitar and singing.... Old songs, new twist... Very good. They're actually quite complex in chord progressions in some places.

I urge all to have a listen on spottily or the like... I just searched for Nik Keyshawn solo and up,they popped..

I agree with what's been said..... Loads of pants songs out there regardless of age, but a good song played well will always sound great.
What about beds are burning or whatever it was called by midnight oil Or any Duran Duran song, great bass lines...
Not sure I'd want to do the circuits with it but it would be fun for a while...
Enjoy it :)

Have a listen to this, one things sure he was a fantastic song writer and this track proves he is a great guitarist too.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BT25g6HDVQc

Edited by Wonky2

I'm not bein funny like, but check this out and tell me you don't wanna play this......
Very cool when done like your enjoying yourself.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ddJRBQFRoY

The more i watch this the more cool he gets...... Would love to play in a band like this...

Edited by Wonky2

There's certainly a wide genre of songs there JTUK! I think in time as with any cover band it will naturally find its niche in what its suited at and what everyone enjoys playing.
There are songs in my set that i'm not keen on but when i listen to the tracks as we are playing them they do sound pretty good. I guess its the bigger picture. I must admit when we all like a song that we all enjoy playing thats when the magic happens and everyone 'feels it'. Thats kind of magical but i've never been in a band where every member loves every song. Stick with it and give it time to see how it developes ;)

I don't pick the numbers for our cover band. Some of the suggestions from the guy who does have made my jaw hit the floor!

To be honest, I've had to eat my words on almost every occasion. The audience reaction to our numbers is usually enthusiastic.

Soft Cell, Adele, Andrew Gold. . . . now I'm playing some of these I've discovered they are good, well crafted songs.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1419457536' post='2640258']
You might find this interesting. Nik Kershaw talking about his songs on the Sodajerker podcast and that in his heyday, the audience was split between teenage girls and musos - the latter being there for the very clever songwriting.

A good song can take any arrangement, and your list has some crackers.

[url="http://www.sodajerker.com/episode-23-nik-kershaw/"]http://www.sodajerke...23-nik-kershaw/[/url]
[/quote]

We have a drummer in mind who played with him..and for sure they were a muso band back then.
I just need to make it work today..and to do that might take such a lot of work and time we don't have..
I am hoping the guy who suggested it has got such a good take on it that my fears are unfounded,

The thng that really bugs me is the 80's band handle and this song is deep down into that :lol:

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1419457665' post='2640260']
Funny enough, someone asked me to play a few songs with them recently and top of the agenda was........ Nik kershaw...
But... I was pleasantly surprised to hear the new (?) version of the songs released by Nik on a solo album with him just playing guitar and singing.... Old songs, new twist... Very good. They're actually quite complex in chord progressions in some places.

I urge all to have a listen on spottily or the like... I just searched for Nik Keyshawn solo and up,they popped..
Have a listen to this, one things sure he was a fantastic song writer and this track proves he is a great guitarist too.
[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BT25g6HDVQc"]http://m.youtube.com...h?v=BT25g6HDVQc[/url]
[/quote]

That is the sort of treatment that it needs... but with a band and we'd have to look uptempo..but at least it stands as a song
rather than a production.

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1419463412' post='2640336']
There's certainly a wide genre of songs there JTUK! I think in time as with any cover band it will naturally find its niche in what its suited at and what everyone enjoys playing.
There are songs in my set that i'm not keen on but when i listen to the tracks as we are playing them they do sound pretty good. I guess its the bigger picture. I must admit when we all like a song that we all enjoy playing thats when the magic happens and everyone 'feels it'. Thats kind of magical but i've never been in a band where every member loves every song. Stick with it and give it time to see how it developes ;)
[/quote]

Yes..need to see how the 20 odd songs sit together...
I normally start out with a vision..get inspired by the songs and the band working them
and then go from there..but with tracks like that, it is such a curve ball and it seems
like the set is out of control already :lol: :lol: and the band is only going to be a 4 piece
with acoustic, lead, bass and drums so that is a lot of song and imagination for that line-up...
But I like the full on chorus . I can see that working..
I think I just need to 'get' the song...and then see how it works out...
Doing a stripped down version might help when we augment the band as they will then have to
work with the song as is, rather than use the 80's version as the reference.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419466090' post='2640362']
I don't pick the numbers for our cover band. Some of the suggestions from the guy who does have made my jaw hit the floor!

To be honest, I've had to eat my words on almost every occasion. The audience reaction to our numbers is usually enthusiastic.

Soft Cell, Adele, Andrew Gold. . . . now I'm playing some of these I've discovered they are good, well crafted songs.
[/quote]

I normally find a core member, like the vox that I want to work with... get a feel of how I hear the voice and then devise the
set around what they can sing...
I am open to being prooved that a song can work...but the gtr said it was a song that he would continue to push we do...
so he wants it in... and I guess it is that as much as anything else...
I'll have to report back on its progress... Need to make it a stronger song than its typical production.
I've heard a few acoustic versions of it to help...

Don't get me started on the Green Day choice :lol: :lol:

I look at set list construction as a punter, so I want something to listen to early on and as the night rolls on I'm looking for something to throw some moves to. As a musician I want something that showcases the band. I'm not a fan of stuff that other bands do, not through snobbery, just that there's around 50 years of electrified pop(ular) music to draw upon and good music is good music. Clearly I'm playing my cards close to my chest on which stuff we choose. Suffice to say that our version of Beck's Sexx Laws, monumental as it was, didn't do it for the audience.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419451382' post='2640186']
I like a jumble up as long as they are good songs so do most people, its OK doing a great Motown* set in a Motown* venue or justa few Motown* songs in a set but try it at a party and 90% of the room will hate Motown*

*insert genre of choice here.
[/quote]

i would beg to differ there old chap - we always get a really good response from the motown stuff we do and not just from the old 'uns who are old enough to remember it first time around :gas:

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1419506457' post='2640473']
Suffice to say that our version of Beck's Sexx Laws, monumental as it was, didn't do it for the audience.
[/quote]

you obviously didnt play the right retirement do ... :ph34r: :lol:
[url="http://youtu.be/A_WAvi4ikCU"]http://youtu.be/A_WAvi4ikCU[/url]

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1419436390' post='2639963']
I think if you sound good, playing with passion etc then you can play pretty much anything in reason and younger people will enjoy it. Ok stay away from the overplayed stuff. But its good to have a mixture.
, but then again people when drunk love a bit of cheese.
[/quote]
THIS 100%
To everyone that is staying away from cheese, ....thank you,, its kept me in ALOT of work over the past 30 years :P
Merry Xmas to Yall.. ;)

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1419508915' post='2640489']

i would beg to differ there old chap - we always get a really good response from the motown stuff we do and not just from the old 'uns who are old enough to remember it first time around :gas:
[/quote]
90% might be a bit unfair but the genre wasnt really my point hence the * ;)

I'll say it again for those who didn't watch this link....
This band is fantastic... 4:00 mins in and really is awsome....
If you didn't click and watch first time, honestly, take a few mins to watch this.....

Very credible.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ddJRBQFRoY