Why become a member? ×

Band Break-Up Issue (Selling and Splitting the PA)

neptunehealer

[quote name='neptunehealer' timestamp='1418077090' post='2626741']
I need to know the make and model etc. I asked him for these and he said 'don't you trust me'! as if.
So he never gave them me.

He isn't giving me the money, he wants to give me the speakers so i have to sell myself. Or could i use them and just buy a mixing desk to get another PA?
[/quote]

You'll need an amp and mixer. Which second hand will cost you...

...about £600.

:D

[quote name='Hugh971' timestamp='1418076549' post='2626730']
His calculations actually seem to make sense there. And if he's right then I'd say that's reasonable as he's giving you aprox half of the equipment and throwing in the monetary difference.

If you post what the gear is then we can actually tell you what's reasonable.

Hugh
[/quote]

Gear total worth c£1140.

Half that is £570.

Speakers worth £540. Leaves £30.

;)

You might get a better more reasonable valuation off here if you list the
kit and model. 5 year old kit might not have much real value..he knows this which is why he probably wants to
keep the more desirable/useful elements. The mixer might only be worth it to him because he wants it..
it may not be worth what he has listed.
The valuations are worth nothing until you actually achieve those prices and posession is 9/10ths so I'd get all 4 boxes
to you and then think about selling them... If you get £400 for 4 boxes, and take the £63 ... then that seems as good a deal
as you'll get
I'd reconcile the values and get rid as soon as poss....

2nd hand gear is not always gonna fetch a good price, his costing might be correct , though his keeping of chosen parts leaving you having to make sales seems unfair

Going legal might give you more headaches and upset than it's worth, might be worth walking away and getting on with something new and positive.

Having said that if you think he's being a knob and you want to put pressure on him, then around £60 to start a small claim against him might be worth it (he'll have to responed and make a case)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='neptunehealer' timestamp='1418082153' post='2626797']
Best way to sell a PA speaker? any advice on that?

In terms of shipping and website.
[/quote]

Really you need to find someone who already has an amp and a mixer and needs speakers.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418109488' post='2626838']
2nd hand gear is not always gonna fetch a good price, his costing might be correct , though his keeping of chosen parts leaving you having to make sales seems unfair

Going legal might give you more headaches and upset than it's worth, might be worth walking away and getting on with something new and positive.

Having said that if you think he's being a knob and you want to put pressure on him, then around £60 to start a small claim against him might be worth it (he'll have to responed and make a case)
[/quote]

Thing is he's already admitted what he thinks the gear is worth in writing. Ask him for the £570.

You could tell him if it goes to small claims they'll just tell you both to sell it straight away and split the money anyway. With no guarantee that it will fetch what you think.

Edited by TimR

I need to know the make and model etc. I asked him for these and he said 'don't you trust me'! as if.
So he never gave them me.

He isn't giving me the money, he wants to give me the speakers so i have to sell myself. Or could i use them and just buy a mixing desk to get another PA?
[/quote]
You've got a sub, so check out the value of that. If that roughly tallies with his valuation I'd go with what he has suggested. It's just not worth the hassle of drawing things out.

He isn't giving me the money, he wants to give me the speakers so i have to sell myself.
[/quote]
This bit doesn't add up. If he gives you the tops, the difference between the value of all the cabs & the value of the amps is £63, right?
So if you sell them for what he estimates and he sells the amps, then you're £63 down on what he gets. Now you pay yourself £63 out of that???

What make is the sub?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1418113567' post='2626863']

This bit doesn't add up. If he gives you the tops, the difference between the value of all the cabs & the value of the amps is £63, right?
So if you sell them for what he estimates and he sells the amps, then you're £63 down on what he gets. Now you pay yourself £63 out of that???

What make is the sub?
[/quote]

He is going to give him all the speakers plus £63.

If the valuation is correct it means that Neptunehealer is £30 up on the deal due to the guitarists poor logic.

But that's assuming the valuation is fair.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1418113567' post='2626863']

What make is the sub?
[/quote]
I think he means that the guitarist isn't giving him the value of the speakers in cash, but is giving the OP £63 difference in value between the mixer/amps. Although they should actually be splitting that £63. :)

Our band got a contract wrote up which we all signed saying basically we all had the right if we wanted to to buy the PA system from the band or otherwise it would be sold a split 5 ways.

The other good thing we did is get the PA system on a "Buy now pay later" deal and we're all just putting our share of the gig money back into it so none of us have had to fork out £200 each from our monthly wages. It has meant we're not getting paid for gigs but if you are like me and are there to have fun and not after feeding the family its been absolutely ideal.

If someone leaves the band its also agreed that the rest of the band pays off the person leaving and then gets that extra share into the PA, because its a 5 piece if that did happen then it wouldnt cost anyone more than £50 each - which is only a little more we'd take home each from a gig. The new member to replace the person leaving then has an oppurtunity if they want to invest into it [i](but I dont know why they would)[/i]

Its worked really well for us so far, might be worth trying something similar next time round!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418113983' post='2626869']
He is going to give him all the speakers plus £63.

If the valuation is correct it means that Neptunehealer is £30 up on the deal due to the guitarists poor logic.

But that's assuming the valuation is fair.

[/quote]
[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1418114137' post='2626872']

I think he means that the guitarist isn't giving him the value of the speakers in cash, but is giving the OP £63 difference in value between the mixer/amps. Although they should actually be splitting that £63. :)
[/quote]
That would make more sense.

I read it as he was giving him the speakers & if the OP sells them, he can then take the £63 out of that for himself. Which makes no sense at all, but it was the interpretation that I took.

Sounds to me like your PA paid for itself ages ago. Just take the money and chalk it up to experience!

It's really not worth the hassle is it? It's not thousands of pounds worth of gear, there's no contract, it's not life and death, just get it dealt with so you can both move on.

Truckstop

Take the deal he is offering, it's far less hassle....then don't keep an eye out for him forming another band.....don't turn up to their first gig and definitely don't accidentally tip a pint of lager over the mixer and amp :ph34r: No actually don't do that you will electrocute yourself...bad idea....I'm going back to sleep now

This one's easy. You either sell the lot and split the proceeds equally (between the 4 of you that paid in in the first place) or your guitarist 'mate' buys you all out lock stock and barrel. Anything he doesn't want he will have to go through the agro of selling himself. Keep it straight forward. This is a business transaction now and if it doesn't work for you don't do it.

But the gtr isn't being reasonable it seems...he isn't discussing it...he has told the OP how it WILL be..??

If you don't know what the boxes are ..and he wont tell you, it is likley they aren't anything that will get much cash.
The issue is how much hassle you want to go thru...
I think I'd take 4 boxes off him..knock them out for as much as you can... and walk away from the plank..
and make sure he gives you the boxes and the £63 at the same time.
£250, 300-400 for the boxes..?? I assume they sounded ok when you used them in the band..???