Why become a member? ×

Any bands use an intro played off a mobile phone?

bonzodog

We have started to use an intro to our gigs and as I am in charge of vocal PA as well as bass/vocals i decided to copy it onto my mobile and play it through the aux in on our mixer. Used it for first time the other night and you could hardly hear it. I had the Cd/tape knob turned up full and it was still barely noticeable and the volume on the phone was up full too. The track appears to be the same volume of all the other songs on my phone but they are all quiet through PA. I could turn the master up on the mixer but then i would have to turn it down again before we sang which would be a hassle. Anyone else had this problem.
Would it make a difference if I ran it into one of the channels instead of via the aux in? Or maybe burn it onto a cd and play it through a laptop plugged in?
Have a big gig this friday so want to try and use it then.
Thanks

A band of my mates ([url="https://www.facebook.com/dasmcmanus"]Das McManus[/url] - you should check them out) use a recorded intro, but I'm pretty sure it's contained in some sort of clever looper pedal thing and they play it through one of their inputs (probably bass, so it goes in the bass preamp, then out the DI into the PA).

FWIW The recorded intro is from Scrubs, and it's one of Dr. Cox's pithy best.

[url="http://youtu.be/J8YMgQc6I4U?t=38s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YMgQc6I4U[/url]

I once did sound for a wedding and (despite having the track on my iPod, as per request) a friend of the bride decided he'd rather play it from his iPhone. Not wanting to get into an argument I just let him get on with it; halfway through the track the phone changed cells and we had the old "deek, deek-a-deek, deek-a-deek" through the PA. I just looked at him and shook my head.

Better off on a non-phone device. A dedicated CD player will have an output that's better matched to the aux input socket too.

The level issue is a real one depending on the device you're using, and beyond that you often encounter mp3 players which have sufficient level but the bass output is utter crap when fed through a band PA.

If you need to go that route, a more flexible option is to have a cable that takes a microjack/headphone output from an mp3 player and splits that into a pair of 1/4" jacks.

You can then plug those 1/4" jacks into the L/R channels of a stereo strip on the PA, giving you access to far more control of level PLUS access to the EQ section.

These cables are cheap - there's no real excuse for not having a set of red/white phonos and a set of 1/4" jack types with you.

It's a process of elimination.

Do you have the same problem using a different iPod etc?

Have you tried changing the lead?

Does the phone have separate ringer/music volumes? You've definitely got the music volume turned up?

Are you using a regular 1/8" Jack or combination of plugs to get what you need? Are they all ok?

Done it both ways, direct into aux phonos and by splitting into 1/4inch jacks as Happy Jack suggested, didn't find any issues with it but I was playing from an iPod classic rather than a phone. We've used it to give background music during our breaks at weddings, not had a problem yet. Those older iPods do give out a pretty beefy signal though.

Thanks for the quick replies. I tried a few different leads as I have bag full of mini jack to stereo phono and it was all the same, and all the volumes on the phone are up. I think I will try using my laptop this weekend as it seems it must be the phone isn't powerful enough. Plus like has been said I may get a text during the intro being played.
Just wanted something a bit more portable as its only a 2 minute intro to the whole show.

Make sure you put it in flight mode in case your mum calls during the intro.

Some phones have really low output levels. Lots of Android phones can be modified to increase the level if you're rooted though, I did this to my old Samsung Galaxy S by installing Voodoo Sound.