Why become a member? ×

would a bad drummer make you quit a band? I just did :-(

mrtcat

In my formative years as a musician, I was blessed to have a brother who was a brilliant drummer. His meter was impeccable no matter where I was on the neck, whether I was doing scat fills, whether we were both in the midst of solos, or what. I always knew that when I came back to the beat, he'd be right there. His hero was Ian Paice from Deep Purple. I was really allowed to grow as a musician because of who was on the kit behind me. Sadly, he walked away from the drums to honor a committment to his wife who he's been married to for 31 years. He always says it was the best decision he had ever made in his life.

As to playing with drummers with questionable meter, been there and done that. It all depends on what the circumstances are as to how long I'd stay. If it's a serious job and the bands reputation, and therefore my reputation, is on the line, then nah, I'm out of there quietly but quickly. I'll never burn any bridges doing it, but would just say that "our styles are incompatible." lol

Having said THAT, I'm now playing in a worship group on Sundays with a drummer who's a really nice guy but "solid meter" and he are but distant acquaintances! lol When he starts to stray, or gets completely lost, I just start playing root quarter-notes to give the band a foundation while we wait for him to find himself. To be sure, there's never a dull moment! lol It also does make me deeply appreciate the drummer in the band that I do most of my performing work with. Rock solid and also a really nice guy.

<><Peace

Solid time is where it all starts for any player.
I don't think it is acceptable to not play in time...
Not being able to play to click is one thing and it is a live show
anyway, but to drop off or pick up to any degree is a big No..
This may be down to the drums just not being fit enough
but that is part of it as well and there are certain things
you just can't bend for... and weak drums, poor sound
and poor time are killers for me..and I expect for the rest
of the guys in the band as well, otherwise I'd seriously
question their judgement.
So, solid time, solid sound and just plain all round solid is
it, for me.. :lol:

Have you suggested a in ear metronome to the Drummer? They are fairly Cheap and you can program all of the song into the things, from verse to breakdowns, allowing for speed changes if there are any. We had a drummer with timing issues, got him this bit of kit sorted him right out.

Drummers can be fickle though, just buy them meat good to appease their inner animal.

Bad drummer with no potential = walk away.
Bad drummer with potential, but doesn't work at it = walk away.
Good drummer, who won't do enough work on songs = walk away.
Ok drummer with potential, who works hard at it = stick around to see he/she can cut the mustard
Good drummer, who works hard at it and plays kit musically for the song = definitely staying with that band

Same goes for rest of band and singers.
If any of them have unbearable attitude = get rid of offending individual or walk away

With the accessibility to and inexpensive nature of metronome apps and gadgets these days, there are NO excuses for a drummer having timing issues IMO.

Our drummer uses a set of IEM and just has all of the set tempo tracked into a free metronome app and follows that. It costs him nothing but a bit of battery charge and does us the world of good and keeps a solid foundation. Simple really and makes you instantly just sound well rehearsed and tight.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Jonesthebass' timestamp='1417863157' post='2624631']
Old dogs don't learn new tricks.

The last 2 guitarists I played with have been just into their 20's hold their own on guitar but need to be nurse maided for diary keeping, bringing right equipment and clothes for the gig. I can deal with that cos they have logged the hours in the bedroom/ practise room....
[/quote]

Well all I can say is if you are dictating what people wear to gigs, then you must be a right laugh to play with!
As for old dogs not learning new tricks, I think your wrong there mate. You never stop learning and anyone who thinks he's reached the pinnacle of his playing and has it all, is either sadly misguided or right up his own bum !

Edited by ubit

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1419593321' post='2641073']
Well all I can say is if you are dictating what people wear to gigs, then you must be a right laugh to play with!
As for old dogs not learning new tricks, I think your wrong there mate. You never stop learning and anyone who thinks he's reached the pinnacle of his playing and has it all, is either sadly misguided or right up his own bum !
[/quote]I don't think it's a question of an Old Dog learning new tricks more like most people reach level of ability that they're happy with and stop trying to improve, or lack the single mindedness and commitment that seems to come with youth

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1419594433' post='2641093']or lack the single mindedness and commitment that seems to come with youth[/quote]

Odd, I log more hours practise now than at any time since first picking up a bass at 16. I'm 43 now and hadn't played for 15 years until summer 2013 and I'm better now than I was in my mid 20s with ~10 years casual playing behind me.

Conversely I do need help dressing - apparently knitwear isn't appropriate for a rock gig, who knew?

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1419675052' post='2641753']
Odd, I log more hours practise now than at any time since first picking up a bass at 16. I'm 43 now and hadn't played for 15 years until summer 2013 and I'm better now than I was in my mid 20s with ~10 years casual playing behind me.

Conversely I do need help dressing - apparently knitwear isn't appropriate for a rock gig, who knew?
[/quote]so why did you stop playing for 15 years? maybe other things got in the way? I think a lot of us found bringing up a family the main priority in life between youth and middle age, gone way off topic here

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1419677386' post='2641781']so why did you stop playing for 15 years? maybe other things got in the way? I think a lot of us found bringing up a family the main priority in life between youth and middle age, gone way off topic here[/quote]

Major change of stuff following a break-up. Took a while to sort myself out, ended up in London and career/business got in the way. Looking back it would have been a great opportunity to be in a band but my priorities were different - no kids though.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1419594433' post='2641093']
...people reach a level they're happy with and stop trying to improve, or lack the single mindedness and commitment that seems to come with youth...
[/quote]

When I was a youth I wasn't single-minded or committed - I thought I was just great and that was enough. :lol:
I'm a lot more single-minded and committed now than I ever have been. Problem is finding like-minded people.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419816831' post='2643002']
When I was a youth I wasn't single-minded or committed - I thought I was just great and that was enough. :lol:
I'm a lot more single-minded and committed now than I ever have been. Problem is finding like-minded people.
[/quote]you missed the 'most' off your quote of my post :).
I know if I practised I could probably learn to play finger style (instead of a pick) but I can't be arsed, mind you it doesn't help that my favourite bassists play with a pick.

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1419845571' post='2643060']
you missed the 'most' off your quote of my post :). I know if I practised I could probably learn to play finger style (instead of a pick) but I can't be arsed, mind you it doesn't help that my favourite bassists play with a pick.
[/quote]

Yes, I did that on purpose to make my point. :P Funny you should mention fingerstyle - I'd been playing with a pick for thirty-odd years, then started playing fingerstyle less than a year ago - I always thought it would be hard to do - but it really isn't...

Edited by discreet

Current band is pretty much the tale of 2 drummers, Drummer number one is a bloody nice chap, who was responsible for setting the band up, was massively keen and regularly told me that I was the best bass player he'd played with (I'm honestly nothing special) and that I helped him understand the drummer/bass relationship better. He also suffered the 20 cymbal disease and had a tendency to try and play stuff that was beyond his ability- on many occasions I went with the keep it simple, tight and the whole thing will lift advice and he generally took it on board, until he either got too nervous, or too relaxed. He left recently due to a fall out with the others in the band, although we still get on really well, to be replaced by a guy who learnt to play with a brass band, but whose first love is punk. His fills are full and fast absolutely spot on, and he is a pretty simple, but very effective drummer. We lock in and are pretty tight and the timing is good (if a little quick at times) I know what is the easier to play to.

I also recently spent some time jamming with a guy who is a session player, and it was bloody brilliant- but seriously syncopated and really kept me on my toes. Playing in a band scenario with him was pretty hard work, but in a good way.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1419857059' post='2643213']I also recently spent some time jamming with a guy who is a session player[/quote]

Played with a session drummer that's played and recorded with a big list of top UK artists and he blew me away and I played better next to him than I'd normally have alongside a drummer of similar skill to me. Damn nice chap too.

I've played with a really bad drummer (I had to count him in in the middle of a couple of songs and it looked funny as hell), a relatively bad drummer (talented but would slow or speed up at times and not great with the feet) some good drummers and one great drummer (he could use just couple of spoons together and make it sound good). I never had more fun than playing with the "great one." He died last year, not quite fifty (not drugs, he was a non-hodgkins survivor who got sick one day and died of sepsis in a matter of hours). He was playing in three bands here in town playing everything from country to rock and sounded like he was born in the genre no matter what type of music each band played. RIP Johnny.

Edited by RipperDen

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1417904021' post='2625051']
There's been a great comment made earlier; you get to the rehearsal and the drummer's setting up this ENORMOUS kit! Be afraid, I've always found that ability is obversely proportional to the size of the kit. (unless of course it's Neil Peart setting up).
[/quote]

There was a band used to come up this way and play a lot. The drummer had a tiny bass drum, a snare and a high hat. That was it and boy could he play! He was amazing! Just goes to show, a really good drummer can do it with the minimum of kit!

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1419943768' post='2644140']
...I would probably just quit, it is exhausting to have to "think" and not "feel" time whilst playing.
[/quote]

Yes, or constantly have to explain what it is that you want the drummer to do - much easier if everyone's on the same page.

Personally if a drummer reaches for a metronome I'm not interested. I like music to breathe. Speed up choruses etc.

I agree, fighting with a drummer to keep the beat is very tiring and sucks the enjoyment out. In the end it'll make you doubt your abilities as a musician.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks for all the sound advice and for sharing thoughts on the subject. I have today quit the band with the poor drummer. I tried as diplomatically as possible to encourage improvement but he simply wouldn't accept that he had any timing issues. We played a pub last night and it was embarrassing at times. At one point he was only required to keep a steady hi-hat going whilst the guitarist strummed an intro. He was all over the place and I could see the guitarist, singer and punters all exchanging looks. They'll never get rid of him as he's their mate so in that instant I knew it was time to walk. I've offered to honour every existing booking but as soon as a replacement is found I'm off. Anyone in the North Oxon / South Northants area looking for a band to join with a slightly iffy drummer? Such a shame as guitarist and singer are both really really good and all three are smashing people.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1420992818' post='2655911']
He was all over the place and I could see the guitarist, singer and punters all exchanging looks. They'll never get rid of him as he's their mate so in that instant I knew it was time to walk.
[/quote]

Well there it is. You've done precisely the right thing if that makes you feel any better. :)