Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass CMD 103H

kopite18times

As pointed out, an extension cab is not possible to add as nothing goes with the existing 6ohm load.

I had one of these for 3 years and never struggled to get over a full heavy rock band (mic'd up drums, and two guitarists with BIG valve heads and 4 x 12s

I could make the other three in the band beg for mercy.

The 3x 10's in these really can kick out the low mids try boosting those.

In theory you could add a Barefaced retro 210, as they're 12 ohm.

But like is said, you've either not set things up right or your band needs PA.
I've never struggled with the 2x10 version.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1417458425' post='2620559']
My god, how loud do you play? Something is seriously wrong with how you EQ! A common trick is to completely cut the VLF and VLE filters and work from there. All they do is scoop the EQ.

Truckstop
[/quote]

I tend to agree, i used to use a 500w F1 with an 8 ohm 4x10 and loudest I ever had it was 1 o clock with no PA support.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1417461218' post='2620598']
Wouldn't it need to be 16 ohm?

Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)
[/quote]
Ok.

6 ohm + 16 ohm makes 4.36 ohm.

:yarr:

The way I thiught about it was using the retro 210 being a 12 ohm cab & you can use 3 for a 4 ohm load, that would mean 2 make a 6 ohm load. :)

If you're looking for ways to squeeze out more volume from the existing combo then an SFX Thumpinator rolls off everything below audible frequencies that your amp and speakers waste energy trying to reproduce, meaning you can squeeze out a bit more headroom if your cab is currently distorting at max volume.

Personally I would sell it and pick up a separate head/cab, you can get some good deals on used Markbass stuff these days.

Edited by dannybuoy

Give us a suggestion of the eq, and bass being used - it may well be that the amp is faulty is some way. Many Markbass users on here can judge those settings with their own gear, and more than likely confirm all is well with the amp itself. I echo the other posts though, those amps are seriously loud. I used a CMD121P combo and NY121 ext cab, which two 12s roughly equate to three 10s in speaker surface area/whatever it is, and in a loud punk band never needed the volume on more than 4 - and that was in a serioulsy large venue. The 103 should be loud enough for any un-miked gig.

Lozz makes a good point about the settings.

If you've got the VPF turned up, then that's gonna increase the bass & decrease the mids. If you're using a bass that already has a midscooped sound, then it's gonna get very lost & if the bass on the amp's eq is also turned up, will further restrict how far you can go before you get farty sounds.