Why become a member? ×

NSD - New Spector Day - Euro4 *Audio File*

discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1417197741' post='2618168']
What, you get paid for knocking off others work?
[/quote]

That's your problem mate - you're the client. I'm just doing your bidding. :)
Edit: Or not, in this case. :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1417209692' post='2618328']
Why is this not white?
[/quote]

Racist! :o
I had a bit of an epiphany and decided I must have missed loads of good basses over the years because they weren't white...
Turns out it was true - I would have missed this one, wouldn't I? Then I wouldn't be experiencing all this Spector joy!

[quote name='Ticktock' timestamp='1417207804' post='2618302']
Damn. Watching from afar means I say "Yeah, that looks nice..." You had to write well about it and let me hear how it sounds.
I am now wearing a large sign round my neck which says "NO NAKED FLAMES"' ' cos of all the GAS !!!
[/quote]

Hah! Glad to be of service. Just get one bought - you know you want to - then you can stop being a fire hazard. :D

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1417214674' post='2618386']
I'm trying to work out how the saddles are adjusted?
They just seem to sit there with no noticeable backwards and forwards type screw things.
[/quote]

On these earlier basses there are NO intonation screws. The bridge is locked with one or two screws at the side of the bridge and when loosened the bridge saddles are free to move... the saddles aren't actually attached to the bridge - so you move them by hand, or by gently tapping them with something, then lock the bridge again. :) Another fine quirk of the Spector philosophy.

I think the latest basses have intonation screws now, but it's a relatively recent development.

Edited by discreet

Spectors have been pretty low on my radar but this looks pretty cool and the weight is right for me. That is a great colour, I like shiny fings. I like the growl that you have in the sound file. I'm on the lookout for a PJ type bass and will be getting something special for my 60th in February, this Euro 4 type will be on the short list.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1417191273' post='2618066']

I got the impression that the neck is chunkier than a Jazz but not as chunky as a Precision. Mind you, I haven't actually played a Precision for ages and don't own one at the moment - and I haven't had a Jazz bass for months either, so you could be right! The neck definitely doesn't feel thin to me, though. I'd say it's definitely not as thin or narrow as an Ibanez neck, for example. :)
[/quote]

No, you are correct. But I never said it was either ;-)

Is ANYTHING as slim as an ibanez neck? They are crazy thin, and narrow spacing as well.

The thing withe euro's and rebop's is that they are hand finished, so there is some variation between basses. The rebop's tend to be chunkier also.

I have also edited my original post, it should have read "can't", meaning I think most people will find them easy to play and find little objections

Edited by Damonjames

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1417246589' post='2618480']
The rebop's tend to be chunkier also.
[/quote]

I did not know that. :)

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1417246589' post='2618480']
I have also edited my original post, it should have read "can't", meaning I think most people will find them easy to play and find little objections
[/quote]

Ah-ha! That did confuse me a little! :D

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1417221831' post='2618446']
...will be getting something special for my 60th in February, this Euro 4 type will be on the short list.
[/quote]

Good plan - it [i]is[/i] something special - and so is the big six-oh. Or so I've been told... :D

Edited by discreet

This is a other great review mate. The thing that stands out as you have said is the power of the tonepump. It's a pretty full on bit of gear that, you can hear it just wants to take off. I guess that's why it has such a bad reputation, and I think is ill Definately hold off for a trim pot version although it still won't give you the full use of the range if the pre without an output sacrifice. This wouldn't be a problem if you are a set and forget kind if guy, and you only use one bass in you set. For me, I tend to tweak the pre to suit the song and also I change between two other basses in my set, so keeping the twiddling on the amp to a minimum is preferred.
I like the gold hardware on the black cherry, it looks stunning. And thankyou for for taking some decent photos, I will never turn one down now based on this colour, I can't help but feel bad for Cosmo....

Edited by Damonjames

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1417274544' post='2618774']
This is a other great review mate. The thing that stands out as you have said is the power of the tonepump. It's a pretty full on bit of gear that, you can hear it just wants to take off... ...This wouldn't be a problem if you are a set and forget kind if guy, and you only use one bass in you set. For me, I tend to tweak the pre to suit the song...[/quote]

Thanks Damon, me too. The Tonepump [i]is[/i] quite aggressive, but it's a real plus having so much power and tonal variation under your fingers. I was using an external pre previously, but it sounded choked and wrong somehow with the Euro... so I just plugged straight into the amp and there it was - very huge and open-sounding heft and twang, right from the bass. :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1417251980' post='2618523']
IMO all it needs to make it perfect is black hardware but seriously nice bass mate am pleased for you that you got what you wanted...
[/quote]
[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1417274544' post='2618774']
I like the gold hardware on the black cherry, it looks stunning. And thank you for for taking some decent photos, I will never turn one down now based on this colour, I can't help but feel bad for Cosmo...
[/quote]

I kind of agree with Paul (Thunderbird) above, regarding black hardware, but I've grown to like the bridge and tuners. It arrived fitted with gold control knobs as well, but I felt it was just a little bit [i]too [/i]much bling, so opted for the OE Spector bevel-top black plastic push-on jobbies... a little bit more understated!

Don't worry about Cosmo, he'll get over it - probably by buying a Spector - I think he's pretty close! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1417293810' post='2618971']
Spectors are an addiction. I've owned nine of the things.
[/quote]

I think I had one of yours for a while - the trans black Euro 5LX.
Absolutely stunning bass, best five string I've ever played.
It's with another BC member now.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1417341235' post='2619209']
Who went and mentioned white spectors???? I hate you!!!! Thanks for the insane bout of GAS
[/quote]

Oh dear! Well you'd better not click on this [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/spector-club-owners-roster-scor.1110674/page-4#post-16657930"]link[/url], then... :D

Edited by discreet