Why become a member? ×

best place to find a singer?

Diablo

It was happening for a while, but our singer finally got pushed out/quit today, which although it causes pain finding a new one, he was over-committed on other stuff and could not devote the time required. So - I need a classic and modern rock singer and I've run out of people I know or would do anything with in a band. Male or female, no preference, but what is the best way:

Joinmyband
Basschat (I cannot see a bass forum being the way to go!)
Gumtree
ad in local music shop

What would you recommend.....? We've got a rehearsal booked next Tuesday in Darlington and it is looking like 2 hours of Green Onions at the moment.

Cheers,
Rich

I have had good success with Gumtree, a little bit with Joinmyband.

Another good way is too go along to acoustic nights or jams and find a singer there. Approach them and see if they are interested. Also going to Original night gigs, where the first act or acts are single acoustic players. See if they are interested in a full band setup.

Wide net, narrow mesh.

By this I mean explore every communicational avenue - social media, print media, band sites, instrument forums, work colleagues and personal friends who might know someone, shops (including supermarkets and newsagents). Get the message [i]everywhere[/i] but make it as bland and as simple as possible - e.g. gigging band looking for singer. The idea is to generate lots of interest rather than use the ad as a filter.

When the responses come in filter out the really obvious no-hopers but keep an open mind about the majority. For myself I'd rather have a series of hilarious auditions and be doing something than wait around for the perfect candidate. It'll be a compromise in the end, anyway.

Good luck! :)

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1416929486' post='2615145']
It was happening for a while, but our singer finally got pushed out/quit today, which although it causes pain finding a new one, he was over-committed on other stuff and could not devote the time required. So - I need a classic and modern rock singer and I've run out of people I know or would do anything with in a band. Male or female, no preference, but what is the best way:

Joinmyband
Basschat (I cannot see a bass forum being the way to go!)
Gumtree
ad in local music shop

What would you recommend.....?

[/quote]

All of 'em. And also any local musician oriented groups on Facebook.

I've had luck on joinmyband, musolist and northwest bands but agree you need to be advertising everywhere. You possibly have left it a little bit short notice, personally I'd allow yourself at least 2 full weeks to let the responses come in. I'd also recommend that you insist on a copy if a live performance, even just a video singalong youtube style clip, as it can be should destroying to actually audition people who can't sing.
Wait till you have three or four before you set the date to make it worthwhile, and also give you a reason to push the candidates out, nothing worse than when they hang around if they are no good

Good luck!!!

[quote]Doesn't everyone just find a world class singer in their kitchen, like I did? [/quote]

I do have one in the kitchen, but my cat announced that he struggled with the high notes on AC/DC songs, and he preferred catching rats on a Saturday night rather than being covered in beer at the Dog and Duck. Too posh to mosh I guess is the term.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1416991007' post='2615719']
I do have one in the kitchen, but my cat announced that he struggled with the high notes on AC/DC songs, and he preferred catching rats on a Saturday night rather than being covered in beer at the Dog and Duck. Too posh to mosh I guess is the term.
[/quote]

:D :D :D