Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering speakers thread

bjelkeman

Got my covers today, will get some pics sorted. They are really nice! Well padded and nice snug fit. Hugely relieved that I kept the cabs in as new condition loading them in and out uncovered!I ordered two speaker cables off Tommy too - nice short ones so they don't drape across the floor when connected. They cable is really chunky and they look to be top quality too.

14kg?!? That's one kg more than my tiny MarkBass NY121. I'm looking forward to trying some of these out in the new year. Thinking of seeing if I can find cabs that will work for both upright and bass guitar to save space and rationalise.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1419593524' post='2641075']
14kg?!? That's one kg more than my tiny MarkBass NY121. I'm looking forward to trying some of these out in the new year. Thinking of seeing if I can find cabs that will work for both upright and bass guitar to save space and rationalise.
[/quote]

I use mine for both with no ill effect......

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1419607591' post='2641246']

[/quote]

I assume that's a glowing endorsement making a late bid for understatement of the year? 😄

I'm going to have to get over to Bass Gear in the new year.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1419593524' post='2641075']
[/quote]

It's even closer than that I think. 0.7KG :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1419625913' post='2641461']

I assume that's a glowing endorsement making a late bid for understatement of the year? 😄

I'm going to have to get over to Bass Gear in the new year.
[/quote]

We've just ordered an H115 for demo purposes.

N.B. This cab only comes with the cloth front at the moment. Metal grille versions available later in the year.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1419632848' post='2641536']
We've just ordered an H115 for demo purposes.

N.B. This cab only comes with the cloth front at the moment. Metal grille versions available later in the year.
[/quote]
The cloth is glued on a metal grille, so it is strong AND good looking... ;)

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1419607591' post='2641246']
[/quote]
The H115 works with upright bass, but it is important to have an amp that isn't too bass heavy. Personally, I think 12" woofers sound better for upright, so my plan is to get a pair of the smallest 112 cabs for that reason. Same colour scheme, of course. Another day. Another year. :lol:

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1419639709' post='2641592']
The cloth is glued on a metal grille, so it is strong AND good looking... ;)
[/quote]

Interestingly, pre-TKS, was in discussions with a well-known UK-based cab builder a little while ago about putting cloth over a grille. He old me this couldn't be done effectively - it was strictly a choice between one or the other.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1419668399' post='2641667']
Interestingly, pre-TKS, was in discussions with a well-known UK-based cab builder a little while ago about putting cloth over a grille, he old me this couldn't be done effectively. It was strictly a choice between one or the other.
[/quote]
He was just lazy. :lol:
The problems occur if the cloth isn't stuck to the grille, then it will flap and make noise. Anyway, this is a bomb proof solution. And gorrrrgeous! :happy:

• 4 weeks later...

So, my new TH500 has arrived. One gig down and two to go this weekend. First impressions, it is great and paris with the TKS like they were made for each other. Amp and cabs have beautifully voiced mids and respond so well to each others.
[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/jp1_zpsc06atiwv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/jp1_zpsc06atiwv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/a2_zpsiy4whfjc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/a2_zpsiy4whfjc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mattdigweed/media/a1_zpsioapxlya.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg488/mattdigweed/a1_zpsioapxlya.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

They do seem to pair well. The EQ of the TH500 is very powerful and more usable than the Markbass. It's nice to have the semi-para mids again. The Tonehammer DI is also excellent. The amp and cabs do seem to compliment each other superbly. The thing that seems to impress everyone about the tks - the lovely clear MIDs are only enhanced by the Aggie. The upper MIDs are so pleasant, the high notes that lurk above the 15th fret are still super smooth with no clank or shrillness. I was happy with the cabs with the Markbass but can only say that they do all that and more with the Aguilar. Still the lovely MIDs, still super smooth up high and defined down low; but with a more effective EQ, and, half a dozen gigs in, I'm finding it easier to get my sound quicker, whatever the quirks of the room/stage.
If anyone gets chance to try a TH500 with your tks, do! I can't imagine anyone not liking it!

• 4 weeks later...