Why become a member? ×

Recruiting band members online

Low End Bee

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415803834' post='2603953']
True... some of my basslines are very simple, I'm not one to overcomplicate things at the expense of serving a song. I just feel sometimes the input of a proper bass player is overlooked in many bands... Guitarists tend to feel that because they can physically play the bass they can write suitable basslines, when in truth the role of the bass is more rooted in DB than it is in guitar and the writing of a good bassline is very different to that of a melody. The electric bass is seen as synonymous with the electric guitar as they look similar and are played in a similar fashion, whereas in reality they are completely different instruments, requiring seperate approaches to composition.

I guess my view stems from my experience of turning up to auditions having learnt songs where I know I can offer a better balenced bassline than the original (often written by the guitarist / songwriter as root notes of the chord sequence) and being told "you have to play exactly whats been written". Which to my mind equates to me standing on a stage playing something which I know isn't good enough.
[/quote]

If you're in an originals band and someone tells you what bassline to play surely you should politely tell them to go **** themselves? If you're new it doesn't matter how the bloke before played it. He's not here now is he?
They can suggest something to play and argue their case of course. As I do to the other members of the band. But you should be comfortable and in control of your area.
Back to recruitment. I've looked at join my band, party sounds. Depressing stuff...

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1415807164' post='2603976']
Back to recruitment. I've looked at join my band, party sounds. Depressing stuff...
[/quote]

Indeed so. The percentage of viable bands / musos is shockingly low.

It's even worse if one is looking for anything outside the typical 'drums / bass / guitar / vocalist' thing. Keys or Brass? Vanishingly rare. Fiddle or pedal steel? Forget it.

Edited by skankdelvar

We got our drummer from a joinmyband ad when our original drummer left due to family and work commitments as we got busier with the band.

It's all worked out great for us, so there are good people looking as much as good bands looking I would hope, its just as others have said, the people you may hear from vary greatly :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1415789926' post='2603729']
Are you saying that you would never join a new, unproven musical venture?
[/quote]

Yes, at this point in my playing career, I am in an established gigging band ( 3 years, band has been together for 8 ). I have no interest in [i]"start up" [/i]projects and would never join a band that was only offering a new,unproven musical venture. 30-40 years ago, sure. But not now.

For me it's about;[list]
[*]Fun
[*]Gigs ( as many as possible )
[*]Decent respectable pay, I need the money
[/list]
Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1415796886' post='2603833']
Cool if that works for you - but I think that's a bit sad. Who is to say what the potential of that new "start-up" band may be? Every band had to start somewhere...
[/quote]

Fact, most start up bands over here don't last long enough to see their first gig.

I'm 61. 30 - 40 years ago I was up for anything in and out of all sorts of start ups. Now it's only about the fun of gigging with an established band with a decent book of business.

Blue

What is it with singers? I've had a real rollercoaster with bands the last couple of years. First band the singer could sing, but was always forgetting the words and ended up running off with my Mrs which killed off that project. I stole one of the guitards and set up a new band, the singer for that one was a grumpy fecker who used rehearsals as practice to learn the songs. He was sacked in a few weeks. Singer no3 now and after 3 months he still does not know all the words for the set and at a gig last Friday kept starting in the wrong place on a few songs. He is going out of the door in the next few weeks I expect. All 4 other band members manage to learn our parts and considering most of us know all the words too how hard can it be for a singer to do that?

So I'm looking for a singer, fun/pub gig classic rock covers kind of thing, male or female, must possess the following:

1. Be decent at singing
2. Be able to remember the words
3. Be able to start and finish singing at appropriate/correct times
4. Be available for rehearsals at least once per week

I think I'll start with an ad in the local music shop and go old school before I start with joinmyband.

If anyone knows any singers in the north east......

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1415800239' post='2603897']
I wouldn't be in a band that had revenue as a goal. It's all about the art dears...
[/quote]

Yes, I agree
I realise that for some people, making money out of music is more important,
or even essential, if it is a big part of their main income source

For me, music is my hobby - I love it, and I wouldn't want to be part of anything that I didn't particularly like
I've also found that where money is, or becomes a big part of a bands' focus
Things tend to fall apart, or get ugly

Myself and other band members have been ripped off by those who focus on the money,
and who also haven't been keen on paying for rehearsal studios...
A shift towards charging more has also disbanded one band I was in (some members of which now refuse to talk to one another)

Of course, this is just my personal perspective,
and it would be nice to make some money back for all the cash & effort I've put in
but this is my hobby, and I'd rather have fun and a good rapport with the band

I couldn't see myself playing with a band I didn't like, or playing music I disliked just because it paid well.....

EDIT: After all that (lol) - I was also going to say joinmyband and Gumtree have proved unfruitful,
but I've met quite a lot of musicians through facebook, often friends of friends etc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1415872533' post='2604629']
What is it with singers? I've had a real rollercoaster with bands the last couple of years. First band the singer could sing, but was always forgetting the words and ended up running off with my Mrs which killed off that project. I stole one of the guitards and set up a new band, the singer for that one was a grumpy fecker who used rehearsals as practice to learn the songs. He was sacked in a few weeks. Singer no3 now and after 3 months he still does not know all the words for the set and at a gig last Friday kept starting in the wrong place on a few songs. He is going out of the door in the next few weeks I expect. All 4 other band members manage to learn our parts and considering most of us know all the words too how hard can it be for a singer to do that?

So I'm looking for a singer, fun/pub gig classic rock covers kind of thing, male or female, must possess the following:

1. Be decent at singing
2. Be able to remember the words
3. Be able to start and finish singing at appropriate/correct times
4. Be available for rehearsals at least once per week

I think I'll start with an ad in the local music shop and go old school before I start with joinmyband.

If anyone knows any singers in the north east......

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Jackie Pattison from Darlington. Don't know hat he's like now but I worked with him nearly 40 years ago and he was bloody amazing. Best ever version of On Broadway. He was pretty damn good at Zep as well!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1415873090' post='2604634']
Yes, I agree
I realise that for some people, making money out of music is more important,
or even essential, if it is a big part of their main income source

For me, music is my hobby - I love it, and I wouldn't want to be part of anything that I didn't particularly like
I've also found that where money is, or becomes a big part of a bands' focus
Things tend to fall apart, or get ugly

I couldn't see myself playing with a band I didn't like, or playing music I disliked just because it paid well.....
[/quote]

Well, good players wont work for free, so that is a limitation you'll have to consider, IMO.

But agree on the second point, but it is possible to have a good band that does stuff you enjoy ..( I'll enjoy it a lot more if we do it well )
and get paid .. but you do have conside rmarketing elements as well...as in most things where money gets involved

I think it depends what kind of a band it is. For covers everyone would expect to be paid, and should be IMO.

For originals there is an expectation that you do it for little or no money now in the hope that you will be making at least decent amounts later on (how possible that is these days is a subject for a whole new thread). In my band we all fund the various band activities jointly and get an equal share of any rewards. If someone (as has happened with potential band members in the past) wanted paying per gig etc, then they also need to be prepared to play what we tell them and not expect to get a cut of any band profits on top of their "wage".

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415882861' post='2604778']

Well, good players wont work for free, so that is a limitation you'll have to consider, IMO.

But agree on the second point, but it is possible to have a good band that does stuff you enjoy ..( I'll enjoy it a lot more if we do it well )
and get paid .. but you do have conside rmarketing elements as well...as in most things where money gets involved
[/quote]

I know plenty of good players who work for free,
and some brilliant players too....

Again, it all depends on whether they are earning a decent enough wage elsewhere,
and how much time they have, how much they enjoy the music etc
But I think you'll find many good musicians work for nothing, or next to nothing

You could say that financially hurts those who need to earn via playing - but that's also another thread of course

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1415885843' post='2604822']

Again, it all depends on whether they are earning a decent enough wage elsewhere,
But I think you'll find many good musicians work for nothing, or next to nothing

You could say that financially hurts those who need to earn via playing - but that's also another thread of course
[/quote]

Not round here, and the social sites are full of them bleating about poor paying gigs as well.
And some of them wont pay for rehearsals either and want petrol costs.
I haven't got a problem with that as long as the gig can afford it... and they have to be reasonable as well
with what gigs can sustain, but I would say I don't know anyone any good that does gigs for free.
There would have to be a very big carrot for them to play for free...and once in a blue moon a big carrot might
appear but mostly it is all about how much, not how little.
And since these guys comes from all over the south of England, I don't think our little area is unique.
Preofessionakl standard people want paying and the standard doesn't always have to be that high.
They might define the pro 'standard' as someone who does nothing else..??
Even the Jam nights have resident house bands on 'wages'.

I play for free, I'm happy to, music is my hobby and the sort of bands I want to play in don't get paid gigs.

To be honest, I'm playing with singer / songwriter type people and if they got signed up a record company would replace all of us musicians with their own prefered players anyway. There is no carrot for me... I couldn't get the time off work to tour, so would have to leave a band that got big anyway.

I do it because I enjoy creating and playing original music :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415882861' post='2604778']

[/quote]

+1 Good players don't work for free.

2nd point playing with good honest people having fun is a must for me. However getting paid ts a big part of the fun. I don't play bass guitar for free.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415895710' post='2604988']
...Good players don't work for free....
[/quote]

That's ridiculous... I've met loads of great players who play for free.

Getting paid means your playing something people like enough to pay for, that doesn't necessarily translate into being any good... jedward get paid :blink:

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1415885843' post='2604822']

[/quote]

In the Milwaukee area, the musicians that are really good are doing this for a living and would not entertain performing for free.

If your talking about originals bands, yeah there are always musicians that will get involved, however they are rarely of the same caliber of the guys doing this for a living.

Blue

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415896132' post='2604994']
That's ridiculous... I've met loads of great players who play for free.

Getting paid means your playing something people like enough to pay for, that doesn't necessarily translate into being any good... jedward get paid :blink:
[/quote]

Might be regional, in my neck of the woods accomplished musicians are not playing for free.

And we might need some clarification here too. Are you saying you know musicians that are bringing gear, PA and lights to a club and playing from 9-1, a 4 hour gig are doing it for free?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415896238' post='2604996']
In the Milwaukee area, the musicians that are really good are doing this for a living and would not entertain performing for free.

If your talking about originals bands, yeah there are always musicians that will get involved, however they are rarely of the same caliber of the guys doing this for a living.

Blue
[/quote]

I have got to take issue with your parochial viewpoint. Take what you're saying the other way round - are you saying that because music is a hobby for me and while getting paid is nice it's not the principal reason for me playing bass must mean that I'm probably not a good bass player? A little extreme, and I don't believe that's what you're saying, but can you appreciate how such a comment could get up someone's nose a bit?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1415897860' post='2605028']
I know of several musicians whoa re so good I'm sure they could do it for their day job, but they'd rather just keep it as a hobby and do it for free.

Saying that good players won't play for free is a bit insulting
[/quote]

I'm curious.

Are you saying you know musicians that are bringing gear, PA and lighting to a club and playing from 9-1, a 4 hour gig are doing it for free?

Blue

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1415897950' post='2605029']
I have got to take issue with your parochial viewpoint. Take what you're saying the other way round - are you saying that because music is a hobby for me and while getting paid is nice it's not the principal reason for me playing bass must mean that I'm probably not a good bass player? A little extreme, and I don't believe that's what you're saying, but can you appreciate how such a comment could get up someone's nose a bit?
[/quote]

No not at all. Sorry for the confusion. What I am saying pertains to what I know about the Milwaukee Market. We have several known top notch players who do not play without a fee. I guess there could be other good musicians that play for free.

Maybe I'm just a different cat, I can't imagine a musician playing in a band at a bar for 4 hours and the bar is turning over money like crazy and walk out empty handed.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1415897860' post='2605028']
I know of several musicians whoa re so good I'm sure they could do it for their day job, but they'd rather just keep it as a hobby and do it for free.

Saying that good players won't play for free is a bit insulting
[/quote]

Ok, but I'll say it... I don't know any..not round here, and I think I know a lot of players.

If you're the poor sod who owns half the PA but actually humps all of it in and out of the van before and after every gig, then drives up to an hour and a half to the gig, sets it up with the drummer (cos the guitarist is a useless tw*t), then plays, puts it all down and drives home at 2 am...rather than some bloke who just turfs up with his axe asking where do I plug in, then yes I want paying, being in a gigging band has very little to do with playing, probably less than 25%, unless you're Rush of course.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1415901209' post='2605086']
If you're the poor sod who owns half the PA but actually humps all of it in and out of the van before and after every gig, then drives up to an hour and a half to the gig, sets it up with the drummer (cos the guitarist is a useless tw*t), then plays, puts it all down and drives home at 2 am...rather than some bloke who just turfs up with his axe asking where do I plug in, then yes I want paying, being in a gigging band has very little to do with playing, probably less than 25%, unless you're Rush of course.
[/quote]

That goes without saying. Here, at the local bar/club/festival level, all the agency represented bands with all the top end sound and lights making the big $$$s are usually marginal musicians.

However, not being in a gigging band has very little to do with playing as well.

Blue

Edited by blue