Why become a member? ×

Gotoh Resolites: ooh, lovely

KK Jale

[color=#282828]It's been a long while since I treated my Squier JV 62 to anything much, but I've had a touch of backache on long sets lately, so I had a think. Some of it is probably posture and tension and I'll work on that, but since the Squier is fairly light it does have a fair bit of neck-dive, so I thought we could sort that, for fun. [/color]

[color=#282828]Standard RI tuners weigh around 110g each, Gotoh Resolites claim 66g, and that adds up to a pretty significant six ounces off the headstock. [/color]

[color=#282828]Before ordering, I just took the original G tuner off, to see how much difference that made on the strap. Mmm… definitely getting there. [/color]

[color=#282828]So I ordered a reverse-wind nickel-plated set from Philadelphia Luthier Supplies (seems to be cheapest at the mo, they do eBay but going direct saves a few quid) and after customs stepped out from behind a bush, as usual, the damage ended up at around £90 (Allparts UK charge a very silly £168). [/color]

[color=#282828]These things are top-flight. Perfect fit, great finish, and the adjustable tension is a real bonus. Amazing how shonky the old original ones felt when I'd got them off the bass. Chose to reuse the old screws… and the ferrules too, as there doesn't seem to be much, if any, weight difference in the hand. [/color]

[color=#282828]Was planning on lightly ageing the Gotohs, but having seen how nice they are I'll leave them be. [/color]

[color=#282828]Balance is now eerily perfect. Really a huge improvement, and I think the whole bass is now about 8lbs dead. [/color][color=#282828]Recommended B)[color=#282828] [/color][/color]

[color=#282828][url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/transalp1998/media/Mobile%20Uploads/aaa_zps41115c76.jpg.html"][/url][/color]

Snap! I've got them on my '83 JV. Got them from PLS too and no probs with ordering from them. I think they are outstanding bits of kit, exceptionally well made and a perfect fit. They're the second set I've had and well worth the money.

Watch using the original screws tho, the Gotoh base plate is thicker than the original and the new screws are longer to compensate.

Enjoy! :D

Edited by Billy Apple

Nice bass!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415383893' post='2599861']
Watch using the original screws tho, the Gotoh base plate is thicker than the original and the new screws are longer to compensate.
[/quote]

[color=#232323]Now that's a very good point, and thanks.[/color]

[color=#232323]I measure the new screws as 3.0mm longer which (if ever wanting to go back to original) means Gotoh is kinda overcooking it IMO as old baseplate seems to be 1.6mm and the new one 2.5mm.[/color]

[color=#232323]*decides to get out more* [/color]

[color=#232323] :unsure: [/color]

Edited by KK Jale

Slight update… thought I'd keep an eye on resonance / dead spot issues, and took careful note before the changeover (just a slight G string 7th fret dead spot).

With the lighter tuners there don't seem to be any problems up the neck, but the open E feels different and sends a bigger kick through the whole bass.

Dunno if that'll be a problem plugged in, as my amp is elsewhere at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

They look great I have to say that Gotoh are the most underrated parts manufacturer out there. The last for years and to my mind last better than some US makes.
I have some of the GB350, modern style that I am going to fit to my Aerodyne (or maybe my Peavey) got them after a sale fell through on fleabay. Aerodyne machine heads are almost 140gm, or nearly 560gm for 4 (thats 1 1/4 lbs for you luddites out there). Fitting the Gotohs at 60 gram halves the weight but due to the lever effect, the reduction in weight is much more than that. I wonder how much of the perceived weight of a bass is due to the lever magnified weight of the tuners.

Edited by Chienmortbb