Why become a member? ×

Re: 70s Precision with Jazz neck

surfguy13

Hi Guys

I am in the process of considering buying a mid 70s P bass and wanted a little advice as it's not straightforward.

It's a '76 but has, apparently, a factory fitted Jazz neck. The bass looks exactly like a standard P, which is what I was originally looking for, and until the guy mentioned it had a J neck I was non the wiser. However, I genuinely like J necks and in many ways my perfect bass would probably be a P with a J neck! :) The neck has dots rather than blocks and other than the obviously narrower nut width it looks identical to a standard P.

So, I spoke at length with the guy who has it for sale and he's pretty sure it is a factory neck rather than just an add on. He's done a bit of research and he said that Fender did fit J necks on Ps in the 70s as well offering custom orders. I really don't have any knowledge of this and so far

I haven't found anything online that suggests that Fender [i]did[/i] fit J necks on Ps (other than as special orders) and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this. I really don't mind if this P has just had a J neck fitted to it as long as it's a good fit but I guess, to an extent anyway, a P factory J neck on a standard P may be worth a bit more?

Any advice would be much appreciated!! :)

Fender did offer P's with this option from roughly late 60s through to late 70s. They are much less common than the standard, but not exactly rare either.

They are not "Jazz necks" strictly speaking but simply Jazz WIDTH necks (1.5" at the nut). This was known as the A series neck: the standard width for Js, an option on Ps in this period, which normally had B necks ( 1 5/8" at the nut).

Value-wise I would say not much difference, if any at all: some players love them and seek them out, while others don't.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above by those more in the know...

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1414851817' post='2593948']
Don't know if the answer to your question is here but it is a good resource anyway

[url="http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html"]http://home.provide....fh/fender2.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Gary, appreciate that. I've had a quick look and sadly no info on J necks.....however, as you say, excellent resource anyway!!
[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1414852405' post='2593959']
Fender did offer P's with this option from roughly late 60s through to late 70s. They are much less common than the standard, but not exactly rare either.

They are not "Jazz necks" strictly speaking but simply Jazz WIDTH necks (1.5" at the nut). This was known as the A series neck: the standard width for Js, an option on Ps in this period.

Value-wise I would say not much difference, if any at all: some players seek them out, while others don't.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above by those more in the know...
[/quote]

Aha! Thanks for that, really very helpful. :)

It's interesting to know that they are called A series necks and the fact that they are basically a P bass neck with a narrower nut width makes perfect sense as that's exactly what it looks like.

USA Fender Hot Rod P-basses did have a Jazz-width nut in the late 1990s. I know this because I tried one and loved it, but couldn't afford it at the time.

PS Completely off topic, but if you're looking for a surf band to join I could put you in touch with a drummer and a guitarist who is desperate to find a decent bass player into surf music.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1414853798' post='2593978']
I have 1970 P with an A neck, it still says Precision on the headstock :)
They are very nice necks imo.
[/quote]

Well, this is all looking very positive! :) I wasn't too sure if it was going to be a bit of a frankenstein but as you have one and it works then it sounds ideal. Yes, this one has a standard P headstock as you would expect but when you look at the nut it definitely looks weird......but in a good way I think!!

I have just traded my '76 P for a Jazz and although I love the Jazz I now realise it was a [i]very [/i]stupid thing to do. I can't quite get that 'whatever it is' from the Jazz pickups. However, I think the neck on my old '76 was larger than standard and I did have problems getting my hand around the first 3 frets and yet with the Jazz it's a doddle. So, it looks like the J neck on a '76 P might be a perfect compromise.
[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1414855082' post='2593990']
USA Fender Hot Rod P-basses did have a Jazz-width nut in the late 1990s. I know this because I tried one and loved it, but couldn't afford it at the time.

PS Completely off topic, but if you're looking for a surf band to join I could put you in touch with a drummer and a guitarist who is desperate to find a decent bass player into surf music.
[/quote]

I had no idea that Fender had produced a modern P bass with J neck....that's very interesting and I'll store that away for future reference!!

I'm really grateful for the offer of surf contacts but........I'm actually a guitarist that plays bass rather than the other way around!!!! :) That's one of the reasons that a P neck can often feel a bit large whereas I feel a lot more at home with a J neck.

Currently the MEX FSR P/J's have jazz (A) size necks as do the Deluxe Mex series.
They are rather giggable. My FSR is first choice every week wherever we are gigging, despite it having some tough competition
There is one for sale on FEEBay just now at £495, albeit the slightly earlier active run.

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0469_zpsdfd3dd1e.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

I had considered a P/J pickup setup on a P bass body as you really get the best of both worlds but when I saw this P bass I was really tempted as it's the same year as the one I've just got rid of and so is likely to sound pretty similar.

Some of the Mex and Jap basses are stupidly cheap now and really excellent quality......

Thanks guys, this has REALLY helped to get my head around the concept of a thinner neck on a P bass. Before coming across this P with the J neck I had never heard of anybody doing this so it's great to have such positive feedback. Looks like this bass is now under [i]serious [/i]consideration!!!! :)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1414852383' post='2593958']
If you don't want it, I'll take it.
[/quote]

Right, for various reasons (mainly because I can't play it before buying it!) I'm not going to go ahead and buy this bass so I know you said you'd be interested if I didn't buy it so.....I'll PM you now with the guy's details!!