Why become a member? ×

Precision with Flats

Higgie

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1412890385' post='2573153']

FWIW. La Bellas are sticky out of the packet. Bear with them and they smooth out wonderfully.
[/quote]I found the La Bellas on my fretless SUB really sticky on my plucking hand once fitted, but recently I've not noticed it at all so this makes complete sense.

The NIN cover in the OP sounds great, nice work.

Set of Chromes now on the Squier P5. Slightly less tension than the stock rounds, truss rod backed off a quarter turn, otherwise no setup required. Very bright for flats, doubtless they will mellow somewhat. They will get quite a few hours' work over the next couple of days, so hoping they'll get the edge knocked off. If they fail to please, then it's save up for TI JF345s! The only bad thing about that set is the 136 B, which usually requires nut work...

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1412890385' post='2573153']
FWIW. La Bellas are sticky out of the packet. Bear with them and they smooth out wonderfully.
[/quote]Top tip!?

When I get new flats of any make I give them a really good rubbing down with cotton pad soaked in Surgical Spirits - you might not believe the shyte that comes off them & it seems to smooth them off before starting to use them. Some are worse than others, but I always give them a clean before fitting, then after first use a going over with Fast Fret, use that a few times while the strings are still quite fresh, then perhaps once every 6 months.

I kept my LaBellas on for quite a while and they did get better but not quite as smooth as I was used to with other strings. Giving them a good rub down, or just playing bass after eating a bucket of KFC sounds like a good idea.

I thought the TIs I first slapped on my P were silky smooth straight out of the packet, but I fitted some to another bass recently and they felt quite sticky too, so maybe I was wrong!

Pyramids though - they are like eels!

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1412879746' post='2572985']
I've never used flats, I have 2 or 3 Precisions that I use regularly so I'll fit some to see if I like them.
Any recommends for a flat virgin? (Ooer missus :blush: )
[/quote]

I like Fender's own. There cheap enough to take a punt on too.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1412927527' post='2573293']
Top tip!?

When I get new flats of any make I give them a really good rubbing down with cotton pad soaked in Surgical Spirits - you might not believe the shyte that comes off them & it seems to smooth them off before starting to use them.
[/quote]

I wonder what the stuff that comes off is? I guess it could be some sort of residue from the polishing process, as I've noticed it on flats and groundwounds, but not on rounds.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1413021072' post='2574188']
I wonder what the stuff that comes off is? I guess it could be some sort of residue from the polishing process, as I've noticed it on flats and groundwounds, but not on rounds.
[/quote]Yes - residue/s from the winding machine's lubrication & the polishing processes. I've had it on rounds too, especially those fitted standard on Traben basses.

What with all this talk I got my first set of flats after 30 years playing on and off. LaBella's on a JV '82 and still getting used to them, they're a bit sticky and not sure how much that's residue or intrinsic feel (alcohol wipesnhelped a bit). But as someone said the real test is how they fit in the mix. Haven't had a chance to gig with them, but playing to backing track they have a really solid deep tone that sits right in the hole. Looking good so far.

I have Fender flatwounds on my P-bass, and I love the tone I get. I tried flats on my J-bass, but I really didn't like it much - so I actually sold the Jazz bass :gas:
I'm mostly a P-bass guy, so I better run out and get another P instead of the J I sold - and Fender flats will be on it in a jiffy