Why become a member? ×

Reading notation

Geek99

Was in Florida earlier this year with time to kill in evenings so started learning bass clef, haven't touched it since or practiced. Surprised myself by being able to read the dots for Xmas wrapping by the waitresses in A without too much trouble - including rhythms

It's not that hard folks, if I can do it.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1409996557' post='2545216']
Written music is an alien concept to me. My ears hear music not my eyes :). Besides that i simply don't have time to put to it
[/quote]

Written speech is OK, though..? There's a paradox here somewhere, shirley... B)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1409995147' post='2545202']
I can manage the rhythm no problem at all, it's the notes I struggle with. I think what I need to do it pull my finger out and push through it. Keep reading new music until it comes quicker and easier.
[/quote]

Most people would agree that the notated rhythm is the difficult part, mainly because there are so many variations.

So you can do the hard part already 😊

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1409995147' post='2545202']
I can manage the rhythm no problem at all, it's the notes I struggle with. I think what I need to do it pull my finger out and push through it. Keep reading new music until it comes quicker and easier.
[/quote]
If you get hooked on the bass clef wizard game online you will be away in no time then!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410005616' post='2545315']
If you get hooked on the bass clef wizard game online you will be away in no time then!
[/quote]

Wot, this one..? :)[size=4] [/size]

[url="http://www.musictechteacher.com/music_quizzes/quiz_word_warrior_bass.htm"][size=4]Bass Clef Game...[/size][/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410006355' post='2545326']
Wot, this one..? :)

[url="http://www.musictechteacher.com/music_quizzes/quiz_word_warrior_bass.htm"][size=4]Bass Clef Game...[/size][/url]
[/quote]

Ha that is a new one on me! Oh no I am meant to be walking the dogs, and cleaning the house damn you! :D

I meant this one, it wont open for me in explorer so it might need to be in chrome? [url="http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/"]http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/[/url] it has been updated since I last played with ERB options!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410007814' post='2545342']
Ha that is a new one on me! Oh no I am meant to be walking the dogs, and cleaning the house damn you! :D

I meant this one, it wont open for me in explorer so it might need to be in chrome? [url="http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/"]http://www.studybass...ass-clef-notes/[/url] it has been updated since I last played with ERB options!
[/quote]

Jolly good; yet another occupation whilst avoiding cleaning the house et al..! Thanks.

Anyone else got treasures to reveal..? The more the merrier..! :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1410008560' post='2545350']
No paradox at all.
[/quote]

Just curious, that's all; please don't imagine I'm trying to trick you, or be aggressive. You're under no obligation to reply, and no justification is needed...

Can you hear the notes when reading 'Do, Re, Mi' or not..?

Started teaching myself to read about a month ago. Though I may never need to read, I'm enjoying learning, and
IMO it is never a waste of time.

IMO doing a little as often as possible is the way to go. No good spending three hours every week end.

A book that helped me on my way is "Simplified Sight Reading for Bass".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simplified-Sight-Reading-Bass-Josquin-Pres/dp/0793565189

If I'm away from the bass, then I use this site for practicing the spaces and lines :

http://www.studybass.com/tools/bass-clef-notes/

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1409996557' post='2545216']
Written music is an alien concept to me. My ears hear music not my eyes :). Besides that i simply don't have time to put to it
[/quote]

Does that mean that someone read this thread to you and then you dictated the reply? Same thing.

If you have time to pick up the instrument, you have time to learn.In fact, you don't even need to pick up the instrument every time.
Its not as hard as people think-I could have you reading basics in 15 minutes, and the rewards are great.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1410013785' post='2545412']
Does that mean that someone read this thread to you and then you dictated the reply? Same thing.

If you have time to pick up the instrument, you have time to learn.In fact, you don't even need to pick up the instrument every time.
Its not as hard as people think-I could have you reading basics in 15 minutes, and the rewards are great.
[/quote]
I can vouch for Doddy, I am not going to nick any reading gigs soon but Paul got me going and I have loved it ever since, then when I went to the DB it became a real bonus as TAB and DB dont appear to be found together very often which has opened up no end of material that is essential for upright really on the advice given by everyone in the DB/EUB section. My problem is that the theory side of things automatically starts to get looked at with reading so as you learn one thing and it creates two new questions! :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1410013785' post='2545412']

[/quote]

You're making huge assumptions about someone who you don't know, know nothing of the other priorities in their live or their strengths and weaknesses.

I made a statement about my situation, I didn't criticise anyone for learning to or being able to read notation, and I certainly didn't call for a response that could be inferred as patronising and arrogant.

I have to read all the time. The nearest I come to playing by ear is chord charts, but am in awe of the ear-to-finger connection some non-readers seem to have. Of course, the real great players/musicians are the ones that have both the reading skills and the big ears. I think you need to read well to get regular work, but I'd sh*t my pants if I got say a covers band depping gig with no book/dots to read and would probably turn it down, but I'll bet there are a few of you who would happily turn up and just go with it using your ears - kudos.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1410020735' post='2545475']

You're making huge assumptions about someone who you don't know, know nothing of the other priorities in their live or their strengths and weaknesses.

I made a statement about my situation, I didn't criticise anyone for learning to or being able to read notation, and I certainly didn't call for a response that could be inferred as patronising and arrogant.
[/quote]

There is literally no arrogance there. I just stated that if you have time to practice, you can learn to read, and it isn't actually that hard. How is that patronising or arrogant?
If you're referring to my sarcastic comment about reading words, I was just responding to how you sarcastically said you hear music with your ears and not your eyes.As far as I'm concerned reading music has the same value to a musician that reading words does.