Why become a member? ×

Rig Rundown - Queen's Brian May

HowieBass

I love it that while so many people spend a small fortune searching for their dream instrument or sound, he just built his own guitar and [u]created[/u] something to call his own. Absolutely brilliant!

I didn't know he used old tanners as picks though and thought it amusing that his tech says they're cheaper to buy than plastic ones! :lol:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407185824' post='2518230']

I didn't know he used old tanners as picks though and thought it amusing that his tech says they're cheaper to buy than plastic ones! :lol:
[/quote]

I knew about his use of sixpenny pieces from when Queen first made it big and I always thought the serrated edges would add to his tone, almost a little like a bowing effect (which I believe is what happens with bowed strings and the grab that happens from the bow hair).

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407185824' post='2518230'] I didn't know he used old tanners as picks though and thought it amusing that his tech says they're cheaper to buy than plastic ones! :lol:
[/quote]

Of course pre decimalisation they would have been quite expensive lol

JD's rig would be great but I want the old Hiwatt into Gauss loaded Sound City cabs and Acoustic 371 rig, not that later Sunn or SWR stuff.

Yes, geat vid but (donning anorak as Queen fan from when they started) I could swear there was a red neon light on the scratchplate. It's clearly been refinished as it used to have masking tape holding some of the veneer on but I swear that must be a new scratchplate. Would have liked to know what the refin incorporated.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407233881' post='2518521']
Yeah, but that was when 6d was really worth something and you could buy a house, a new car, a new bass and full rig and still have change to take the missus out to the cinema with a slap-up meal afterwards. Ah, the good old days.
[/quote]
Lllllllllllluxury!!