Why become a member? ×

The Pixies - Paz Lenchantin?

Lozz196

Just got The Pixies at T In The Park on BBC Red Channel. Not a particular fan, but the bass sound is great. Turns out Paz Lenchantin is currently playing for them - though must admit she looks older on stage with The Pixies than I thought she was.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405158371' post='2499215']
They apparently kicked out the previous bassist as well - maybe they have specific ideas that no-one, aside from the original bassist, meets.
[/quote]

They're a bunch of chrotchey old men.

Yep! Paz Lenchantin is currently the touring bass player for The Pixies. She rocked the merry hell out of her bass when they played Manchester on Thursday night! B-)

As to the previous 4 stringers in the band, I think the legendary Kim Deal left because she's got a creative itch she has to scratch with The Breeders and, more importantly, she's looking after her Mum who's been ill since before the reformation.

The reasons why Kim Shattuck was sacked are slightly hazy. From an interview on NME.com a while back, it was inferred that the band's management sacked her for stage diving after a gig, which was apparently unpixielike(:-S). She didn't actually fall out with the band though & only had nice things to say about them. A shame really, as I thought she was awesome. Her playing was solid, she was very endearingly "punk rock", seemed to love every minute she was onstage and was probably a better singer than Kim Deal(Someone'll doubtless be upset by that, but that's just my opinion.)!

Now, back to Miss Lenchantin. She never says anything in interviews(as per the most recent edition of Q Magazine), but the band love her. Dave Lovering has even been on record to say that her chops/technique is that good it makes him work harder on his!

Edited by indiegrungesound

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1405177171' post='2499442']
Is the bass playing slot job meeting Gender Equality rules each time there is an opening in that band ?
[/quote]

They have a GOQ for the post so are not falling foul of any gender equality legislation.

Well, in this month's Q Magazine again, they pretty much stated that they have to have female backing vocals. Then again, the bass parts on "Indie Cindy" were played by Simon "Ding" Archer(Manc Alt Rock Bass Cult Hero, played in P J Harvey's band when "Uh-Huh-Her" came out.); whilst a guy sang the Kim Deal alike BVs on "Bagboy".

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405117340' post='2499059']
Just got The Pixies at T In The Park on BBC Red Channel. Not a particular fan, but the bass sound is great. Turns out Paz Lenchantin is currently playing for them - though must admit she looks older on stage with The Pixies than I thought she was.
[/quote]

I've just re-watched the Glastonbury footage. It's definitely Paz. I didn't recognise her. :(

Saw them at the Eden Project on Wednesday, first time I've seen them since 1990. Awesome gig, and I thought Paz's bass sound was thunderous-I love the Precision she's playing, Oly White with tort plate, dunno if it's original or a heavy relic job but it sounded incredible. Thought she did a fantastic job and I hope they stick with her.