Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

*NBD* MIJ Precision

CamdenRob

Picked up this beauty yesterday after seeing it on Gumtree.

1985 (allegedly) MIJ (allegedly) Fender (allegedly) Precision Bass...

Looks legit to me but I'm no expert and i'm pleased whatever it turns out to be.

It all seemed too easy really, I've been on the lookout for a P bass, just sold a jazz, price was good and the bloke selling it lived round the corner...

I haven't owned a P bass since a god awful squire that put me off them twenty years ago. This one is light and sounds fantastic with the tone rolled all the way off. I didn't like the flats it had on it so after a quick change to prosteels the sound was warm, smooth and punchy. Might take this along to rehearsal tonight for some of the acoustic songs I don't need the sixer for.

Anyway some pics... pretty much mint.

Cost me £375 including the (tastefully lined) Hiscox case.

Nice colour/neck combo! :)

What makes you suspect (allegedly) that it may not be what it was claimed to be? The price seems very good (especially with the case) - although I didn't realise that Fender were making basses in Japan quite as early as that...

You could check the serial number with Fender themselves if you want to be sure

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404976296' post='2497378']
Nice colour/neck combo! :)

What makes you suspect (allegedly) that it may not be what it was claimed to be? The price seems very good - although I didn't realise that Fender were making basses in Japan quite as early as that...

You could check the serial number with Fender themselves if you want to be sure
[/quote]

Serial number checks out :)

I'm just a pessimist at heart, whenever I seem to get a bargain on something it later turns out something is wrong with it!

That looks like a winner Rob.

I've been impressed with the quality of the Japanese Fenders and really think they represent great value.

I've been gigging Prosteels on a couple of my P basses over the last six months or so and really rate them.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1404977231' post='2497384']
I've been gigging Prosteels on a couple of my P basses over the last six months or so and really rate them.
[/quote]

They have become my stock string choice for all my fretted basses... I was a bit worried they might be too bright for the P but they sound great.

Edited by CamdenRob

Some useful info on fender Japan serial numbers can be found in a thread called Quick Fender Japan Question on this forum. I can't work out how to cut and paste the URL on this poxy tablet, sorry.

If it's an A plus 6 digit MIJ it's 85-86. If CIJ, its 99-02. The best way to be sure is to take the neck off and see if it is dated.

Not that it matters, it looks like a great bass in n very good condition for a very decent price. Well done.

Nice P, I have a MIJ 62 reissue in the photoflame finish, got it from Navada music in portsmoutth last year for £250. Its in great nick, just a couple of small marks. 93/4 according to the numbers. Very light as there a basswood body, great neck. Got ground round wound strings on mine and it's so sweet to play.

Thanks guys :)

Serial number is E856566 which according to the guitatdaterproject means;
[b] Guitar Info[/b]

Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1984 - 1987

Think I'll take the neck off this weekend and have a look.