Why become a member? ×

Bit of advice....

tom1946

Afternoon boys and girls, as I know you are all very intelligent I need some advice please.

My 40" Samsung tv is about 7 years old and it cost a lot of money then and was feature packed but as we don't have or want a hifi in our lounge to play music I need a box or something with usb and mini jack to plug in and play music through the tv. I might add that the Creative labs 5.1 sound system on the tv is shatteringly loud and thumpy and is plenty adequate.

So any suggestions please? Is there some sort of media player that might work in this way?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Tom.

If you have a DVD player that should play audio CD's so if you used that and stuck a decent speaker system on the TV that should work and many TV's and DVD players have built in USB ports so you can put songs etc on a memory stick and play the through the TV I do this but only have the TV speakers

Mainly audio, the added sound system on our tv negates the need for hifi.

We can play cd's now but it's a waff on making them and as our cars use usb sticks for music now we want to do that with the TV as it's much more convenient.

I googled "usb media player" and this was at the top, looks like it'll do the job

[url="http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/sumvision-cyclone-media-player-micro-hdmi-upscaling.html?googad&gclid=COSp0LKVmr8CFYjjwgod2SYAtQ"]http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/sumvision-cyclone-media-player-micro-hdmi-upscaling.html?googad&gclid=COSp0LKVmr8CFYjjwgod2SYAtQ[/url]

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1403874385' post='2487326']
Must have done, the creative labs sound system is from 2001 and has a seperate amp and a big sub woofer. No usb's though.
[/quote]

Bwahahahaha!!! Not at all sure that memory sticks had actually been invented by 2001 ...

What is going to be the main source of music - cd player, ipod, smartphone, streaming from PC, etc?

What model is the Creative Labs speaker system and what inputs does it have?

What model is the TV and what inputs does it have?

This info would give the panel a bit more info to stir their creative juices

This media player seems to have a lot of useful input and output ports, doesn't cost much and has pretty good reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006S6F44W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004TD4O1A&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1Q17FAZRFBM27A23KR4M

Ok thanks for the input guys. Turns out that the tv has a USB port cunningly labelled 'wiselink'?? Why couldn't they just label it USB? So the sound problem seems to be ok now :blush:

I use an Imac as my main PC but I have a newish Samsung windoze laptop that lives in the music room, it does have a HDMI out on it so will this just connect to the tv with a HDMI cable? This would be good because I have a program that can alter youtube songs to the key we will play them in....

My mind's buzzing with possibilities now.