Why become a member? ×

"The undisputed best" earphones?

MiltyG565

I've just watched this video, which is basically an unboxing with a short review of these earphones from Shure. A couple of things strike me - He says how great they are BEFORE listening to them, and he talks about the sound cancellation being supreme, and frankly, as far as I can tell, he's in a very quiet room. But, how far can I/We trust this review? Is it accurate? Do these earphones warrant being in the region of £1000? He says "There's no close second", which makes me think "Wow, they must be SERIOUSLY good", but then I also remember him saying how good they were based on other reviews that he'd seen, so how much can I trust what he says? Also - He isn't a sound guy. He's a tech guy. He likes to mess about with the latest and most expensive gadgets.

What do we think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khvLYW_fnM

Edited by MiltyG565

headphones - when I was looking for my last set I kept finding internet reviews where the packaging was a fairly large part of the deal - I think headphones must be considered really important by some people in the same way sneaker-freaks will have lots of different nikes, all kept pristine in the box - crossed with Hi-Fi guys spending £3k on a set of cables.

They are supposed to be good phones but if I were spending £1000 on some phones I would get some custom moulded ones...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1403654622' post='2485058']
I've just watched this video, which is basically an unboxing with a short review of these earphones from Shure. A couple of things strike me - He says how great they are BEFORE listening to them, and he talks about the sound cancellation being supreme, and frankly, as far as I can tell, he's in a very quiet room. But, how far can I/We trust this review? Is it accurate? Do these earphones warrant being in the region of £1000? He says "There's no close second", which makes me think "Wow, they must be SERIOUSLY good", but then I also remember him saying how good they were based on other reviews that he'd seen, so how much can I trust what he says? Also - He isn't a sound guy. He's a tech guy. He likes to mess about with the latest and most expensive gadgets.

What do we think?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khvLYW_fnM[/media]
[/quote]

say nice things (in a convincing and convivial manner) and you get them for free

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][color=#FF8C00][b][size=6]THESE ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES[/size][/b][/color][/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][color=#FF8C00][b][size=6]THESE ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES[/size][/b][/color][/font]

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='jimbaby' timestamp='1403681220' post='2485135']
If I were to be considering buying headphones (esp. if spending large wads of dosh), I would want to hear them for myself and not put my faith in someone else who is listening to them while you watch.
[/quote]

That kinda was my point - he specifically says that he knows they're good because he's seen other reviews and I recoiled and said "What the hell do you mean you know they're good because you've seen other reviews!?". It's like me saying that I know a bass feels nice to play because I read it on Basschat. It might well be true, but firstly, it's subjective, and secondly, I'd need to try it for myself before making that statement.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403773595' post='2486082']
I like earphones that let out as much sound as possible so other people on the bus can enjoy listening to my rap music...
[/quote]

I used to have open-backed earphones. They were cheap, but had decent enough sound quality. Anyway, I considered it a public service to expose all my fellow bus passengers to the great music that I listen to :lol:

If you want to spend big, the best headphones are possibly [url=http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/grado-ps1000-661454/review]THESE[/url].
Or arguably, something by [url=http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-009]STAX[/url].

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1403770173' post='2486013']
Dr. my arse - bloody fake.
[/quote]

Dr My Arse - isn't that a song by Jackson Brown ?

Dr Dre can't be that stupid because he has just sold his company to Apple for a trillion quid. In comparison to that , I expect my doctor earns bugger all, but she has contributed next to nothing to the world of hip hop so she has really only got herself to blame . Hopefully she will have learnt her lesson and start mixing some beats at the first possible juncture.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1403677941' post='2485102']
If I spent £1k on headphones I'd expect some one to shoot me for being so ridiculous.
I bet they still get tangled up in my back pocket.
[/quote]

They will still be knackered after a couple of years /( or less), too. Most of these in-ear designs are pretty fragile and will not give year after year of regular daily use.

These headphones sound O.K, but well-chosen decent full size headphones can easily better them in terms of sound quality, especially if you are spending £1000. It would be very interesting to do a side-by-side comparison between these Shure in-ear 'phones and some relatively inexpensive full size sets, like the ( very good) Audio Technica ATH-M50's, which you can get for under a hundred quid and which will sound great , last for years and which will work well with most portable devices as well as full size hifi separates and pro audio equipment .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1403824192' post='2486937']
Opens box, reads leaflet - "What an experience so far."

[b]"WARNING TEAM - BIASED REVIEW IMMINENT!"[/b]
[/quote]

I think the thing to remember is that his channel is called "Unbox Therapy" and he seems to get some kind of weird high from opening boxes. "This box is really well made". "Ok mate, we get it, but I'm actually more concerned with what's inside the box, not the box itself" :D