Why become a member? ×

Ashdown at Festivals

Kevin Dean

Lots of interesting views here... But just to clarify a couple of points. If you see a player using an Ashdown rig then there is a 95% probability that they own the rig, we dont give any gear away free and we don't supply loan stock to festivals. We offer endorsements which mean the band gets the gear at lower cost than retail but they all pay and choose to use the gear(Even Sir Paul pays for his Ashdowns), we do not have contracts or pay artists to use gear. We take pride in the fact that an artist chooses to play Ashdown and would never want anyone to use our equipment because it was free/they are being paid etc and rest assured this is a rare thing in our industry these days...

Edited by Ashdown Engineering

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1403595504' post='2484142']
I think is a personal preference thing really ........ sometimes festival gigs band shared backline equipments. I can only think of why people use ashdown because they can be found fairly decent price second hand and even brand new it sell cheaper then most markbass stuff in my opinion.
[/quote]

No disrespect badboy but you really think the following players use Ashdown because they found a good 2nd hand deal on Ebay?

Guy Pratt
Norman Watt Roy
Jah Wobble
Nate Mendel - Foo Fighters
Nick O'Malley - Arctic Monkeys
Pino Palladino
Paul McCartney
JJ Burnel
James LoMenzo
Bruce Foxten
James Johnston - Biffy Clyro
Adam Clayton - U2(Bought a CTM 300 to record their new album with)
Jeremy Davis - Paramore
Ross MacDonald - The 1975
Will Farquarson - Bastille
Shavo - System of A Down
Matt Barnes - You Me At Six
Lenny Kravitz
Arcade Fire
Etc Etc

All in need of cheap amps? ;)

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1403705187' post='2485476']
No disrespect badboy but you really think the following players use Ashdown because they found a good 2nd hand deal on Ebay?

Guy Pratt
Norman Watt Roy
Jah Wobble
Pino Palladino
Paul McCartney
JJ Burnel
James LoMenzo
Bruce Foxten
Jeremy Davis - Paramore
Shavo - System of A Down
Lenny Kravitz
Arcade Fire
Etc Etc

[/quote]

Ashdown,

When I make that statement I was only stating on what I seen. I seen tons of Ashdown product floating around ebay, gumtree etc that sells for pretty cheap in my opinion. Not to mention some lower to mid range Ashdown product is well within affordable price as well. Artist and some other players may choose to use Ashdown because they like the tone and the quality they get but their are also some players looking for some decent quality piece of kit but only have limited budget, so therefore second hand amp is what they go for.

I chosen to buy Ashdown myself because I like the tone and the product.

No disrespect but I'm only stating the obvious.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1403705187' post='2485476']

Guy Pratt
Norman Watt Roy
Jah Wobble
Pino Palladino
Paul McCartney
JJ Burnel
James LoMenzo
Bruce Foxten
Jeremy Davis - Paramore
Shavo - System of A Down
Lenny Kravitz
Arcade Fire
Etc Etc

[/quote]Can you add Kevin Dean to that list I've just ordered a ABM NEO 400 R C ;)

Edited by Kevin Dean

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403635799' post='2484815']
Ive said it before even as an early uk built evo owner, I think the mag range sounds better.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've always liked the layout and EQ centres of the Mag preamp, and found it easy to find a sound I can use with them. Not all the combinations of rig I've tried using them have been to my taste, but that goes for most things.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1403706360' post='2485481']
Ashdown,

When I make that statement I was only stating on what I seen. I seen tons of Ashdown product floating around ebay, gumtree etc that sells for pretty cheap in my opinion. Not to mention some lower to mid range Ashdown product is well within affordable price as well. Artist and some other players may choose to use Ashdown because they like the tone and the quality they get but their are also some players looking for some decent quality piece of kit but only have limited budget, so therefore second hand amp is what they go for.

I chosen to buy Ashdown myself because I like the tone and the product.

No disrespect but I'm only stating the obvious.
[/quote]

Yup but the thread is talking about bands using gear at the bigger festivals...

We know affordable gear is important to people hence why we work hard to make the best amps at affordable
price points for the weekend warriors as well as bonkers handbuilt amps like the BTA 400 etc

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1403704234' post='2485467']
Lots of interesting views here... But just to clarify a couple of points. If you see a player using an Ashdown rig then there is a 95% probability that they own the rig, we dont give any gear away free and we don't supply loan stock to festivals.
[/quote]

Hi Ashdown,

Could I just ask you to clarify this point? You say you do not loan amps but a couple of years ago I remember a large UK store advertising a raft of discounted Ashdown stock as ex artist loan stock or words to that effect.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1403708498' post='2485510']
Hi Ashdown,

Could I just ask you to clarify this point? You say you do not loan amps but [i][u][b]a couple of years ago[/b][/u][/i] I remember a large UK store advertising a raft of discounted Ashdown stock as ex artist loan stock or words to that effect.
[/quote]

Maybe they did, and now they don't?

I just checked and it was actually last year, the stores facebook posts and gear lists are easily available online and name a selection of the artists Ashdown themselves named a few posts back.

I'm not trying to be pedantic and perhaps they have changed policy it just struck me as I was actually looking at the cheap ex artist stuff when it was for sale as I needed a new cab so it stuck in my mind.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1403707968' post='2485502']
Yup but the thread is talking about bands using gear at the bigger festivals...

We know affordable gear is important to people hence why we work hard to make the best amps at affordable
price points for the weekend warriors as well as bonkers handbuilt amps like the BTA 400 etc
[/quote]

No prob with that. Just want to clarify, I like Ashdown product and I even own a LB30 from brand new myself. No way on earth I will sell that amp.

I use an old Ashdown EB 180 head and I love it. Nice clean tone and more than loud enough. If it broke/was stolen I would definitely buy another (if I could find one)

Great list of artists using Ashdown. Would love to be added to that list one day

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1403708498' post='2485510']
Hi Ashdown,

Could I just ask you to clarify this point? You say you do not loan amps but a couple of years ago I remember a large UK store advertising a raft of discounted Ashdown stock as ex artist loan stock or words to that effect.
[/quote]

Yup no problem - quite often artists either upgrade or freshen up an old rig and we end up with the old gear back and knock them a bit off the new gear. The old gear then gets cleaned up and serviced and either sold to other artists or in that case to a store which we do every once in awhile if things build up

When I saw From The Jam earlier this year, Bruce Foxton was using his Ashdown stack (410 + 810) and it sounded amazing. I need light gear so my Markbass set-up is ideal, but if I were looking for a set-up now, after hearing Bruce I`d be checking Ashdown gear out - and if it were light enough, no doubt buying it as well.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1403610786' post='2484396']
... I do have problem with the MAG ... series which tend to be very bass and doesn't sound well in the band.
[/quote]
That's the opposite of my experience.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1403624936' post='2484679']
... I used to play a MAG300 combo and found that it didn't agree too much with active basses.
[/quote]
That's also the opposite of my experience.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1403715858' post='2485597']
When I saw From The Jam earlier this year, Bruce Foxton was using his Ashdown stack (410 + 810) and it sounded amazing. I need light gear so my Markbass set-up is ideal, but if I were looking for a set-up now, after hearing Bruce I`d be checking Ashdown gear out - and if it were light enough, no doubt buying it as well.
[/quote]
Were you on the stage? If not did they have an ashdown pa?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1403716181' post='2485601']

That's the opposite of my experience.

That's also the opposite of my experience.
[/quote]
I have found the evo to be more wooly and the mag tighter and more suited to active basses than my old evo was, ive had some very nice sounds from a big mag combo at a jam night, id still di clean to the desk at a gig large enough though so no one is hearing my amp anyway. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Ashdown being british (like Barefaced) means that the lovers tend to show lots of love around here, and the haters do the british thing of really really hating one of our home grown companies.
Instead of secretly being quite pleased that us in the UK can have one of the top amp makers here in Essex we knock them down cause we don't like the sound the build quality or so on.
I wouldn't mind so much but I don't really see it happening with other US or EU based brands.

In my mind Ashdown make a product - like the other great Essex amp builders Trace Elliot - that has a distinct sound, and you might love it or hate it.
I've played old Trace rigs and been blown away, I've played other trace rigs and sounded awful like I walked straight out of the 80's...
Some Ashdown stuff is brilliant, some sounds muddy and indistinct.... but that said I've never tried a Ashdown head with a non ashdown cab - and I've a suspicion that they're better at designing amps than they are cabs...
Mind you if you gave me a choice between a Ashdown or Markbass rig I would probably go for Ashdown if I was playing a festival, and mark bass if I had to fit it into the back of my saxo...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403722182' post='2485675']
[/quote]

I have to admit Pete, no I wasn`t, and no I don`t think they id. But the rig was miked, rather than DI`d, and whilst I know that PAs/soundmen will generate the sound required, it must be the sound that Bruce is famous for, so I can`t see him setting the amp to do something completely different, then getting the PA to alter it to what he wants out front. Having done a show with him, from recall the sound he had on the night I saw them was the same as his regular sound was in a studio.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403727213' post='2485741']
I think in reality our favourite players would sound like themselves on any decent gear within reason. I have had a selection of basses and amps, I always sound like me! (Terrible mostly).

How much of massive bass rig can a mic pick up and pass on to a totally different amp and pa speaker arrangement eq'd by someone else at the other end of a stadium in some cases, I'll bet there was a di combined with the mic even just for emergency drummer knocked the basd mic stand over moments!
[/quote]

I think in reality our favourite players would sound like themselves on any decent gear within reason. I have had a selection of basses and amps, I always sound like me! (Terrible mostly).

How much of massive bass rig can a mic pick up and pass on to a totally different amp and pa speaker arrangement eq'd by someone else at the other end of a stadium in some cases, I'll bet there was a di combined with the mic even just for emergency drummer knocked the bass mic stand over moments!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1403727947' post='2485755']
My 13 year old ABM300 has never once given me any trouble , not even a crackly pot or anything. Has always sounded great during the many many gigs and rehearsals that I and friends who I've lent it to have done with it.
I think that says something.
[/quote]
Mine was sold as spares or repairs on ebay at around 6 years old.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403722182' post='2485675']
[/quote] When I go & see bands I'm interested in, I always go to the front & I can clearly hear the on stage sound.....The last time I went to see the Stranglers there was a huge difference in the onstage sound from the PA as soon as I got about ten rows back maybe they had a sound guy that din't know JJs sound ? when I last saw Level 42 in a local event the PA sound was nearly identical to the onstage sound ..