Why become a member? ×

Gallien Kruger - To "fusion" or not

FuNkShUi

So...Im looking at the GK heads.

Ive settled on the MB800. But i dont know whether to pay the extra £200 odd to get the MB800 fusion.

Whats the difference? I know the fusion has a 3 tube pre amp, but whats the difference in sound/playability/use?

Whats your experiences? Worth the extra?

Cheers

I've never played a Fusion 800 so I would be interested to hear the replies you get, I like the extra push button tone variations it offers over the regular MB800. I do use an MB800 twice a week for club and pub gigs and it does the job really well, I can get a wide range of sounds from it and it is extremely loud. It always feels cool to the touch, no matter how hard I drive it. All in all a great bit of kit and highly recommended.

I had the MB500, then the MB Fusion 500. Soloed they didn`t sound that much different, though the regular MB500 was crisper. However in the mix, the Fusion had much more depth and warmth to it, and you can coax some real old-school motown sounds from it. Flip-side, the MB500 could, in my view, achieve much more of the famed GK crispness.

I`ve read on Talkbass that the MB Fusion is the least GK-sounding amp that GK make. I think that`s a good description, but in no way a criticism. Each can get near the other, but they can`t, again in my view, replicate each other entirely.

Get the 500 Fusion instead. You won't need any more power - it's [i]very [/i]loud. I'm using mine with a Barefaced Big One (8 ohms) in a rock band and never have the master further than 10 o'clock at the very most. If you used it with two 8 ohm cabs I can't think of a situation where you'd need more beans. I also used it with a 4 ohm Schroeder 1212L and it was just immense.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1403250247' post='2481063']
I`ve read on Talkbass that the MB Fusion is the least GK-sounding amp that GK make. I think that`s a good description, but in no way a criticism. Each can get near the other, but they can`t, again in my view, replicate each other entirely.
[/quote]

+1 It will do the GK sound if you want it to but also [i]much [/i]more besides. You can make it sound very hefty and warm, (almost) like a large valve amp. You won't need any preamps or pedals either, it's plug and play - the core tones available are quite amazing. Mine's not going anywhere.

Edited by discreet

I ditto what discreet says. I play mine through 2x Compacts and it does a great range of sounds at all the volume I will ever need. I've never tried the non-Fusion version so can't help answer your question though.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1403250621' post='2481068']
If you had the choice again Lozz, what would you opt for?
[/quote]

It would have to the MB Fusion. From what I experienced, you can thin down the sound of the MB Fusion (if wanting traditional crisp GK) with the on-board eq much easier than you can fatten up the sound of the regular MB, if wanting old-school vibes. And echoing Discreet and Kirky (who has my old MB Fusion) the 500 is incredibly loud. Witha 4ohm Schroeder 4 on volume decimated the rest of the band and it had more to give.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1403336046' post='2481879']
Settled thenn. Cheers gents!
Now, to find one!!
[/quote]

I've had a thread running about replacing my MB F1 head. Both Lozz and Discreet have practically convinced me to get the 500 fusion as well.
Hopefully going to order it this week from Thomanns for £555. I was considering the 800 version but after reading the comments here I think 500 is enough.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1403250247' post='2481063']
I had the MB500, then the MB Fusion 500. Soloed they didn`t sound that much different, though the regular MB500 was crisper. However in the mix, the Fusion had much more depth and warmth to it, and you can coax some real old-school motown sounds from it. Flip-side, the MB500 could, in my view, achieve much more of the famed GK crispness.

[/quote]

Any difference in the "growl potential"? Thinking of getting an MB500 or a fusion and looking for as much of the Growl as I can muster! Thinking possibly the MB500 as that crispness and tightness in the lows may be beneficial for lower faster player etc.

A friend of mine has the MB500 and plays a warwick thumb through it and boy does it sound awesome!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1403519738' post='2483408']
Any difference in the "growl potential"? Thinking of getting an MB500 or a fusion and looking for as much of the Growl as I can muster! Thinking possibly the MB500 as that crispness and tightness in the lows may be beneficial for lower faster player etc.
[/quote]

The Fusion 'growl' is awesome. There is a switchable 'Presence' filter on board (plus a Countour [mid-scoop] control that can be switched in at 500 or 800Hz and a 'Deep' filter) that makes any bass growl and then some. The (active) 4-band EQ on the Fusion is superb and is particularly extensive in the mids - which is growl country, as we know. :) Don't worry about the low-end, though - the Fusion is taut in the bottom. Missus.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1403519738' post='2483408']

A friend of mine has the MB500 and plays a warwick thumb through it and boy does it sound awesome!
[/quote]

The MB Fusion has no problem with crispness or tightness in the lows, I'd always plump for that over the MB500 as I think it offer more tonal options and of course valvey goodness. And yes I have gigged both :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1404044396' post='2488704']
That was the video that sold me on getting one....only didn't, but i almost did.
[/quote]

I think if our Norm had had the Fusion plugged into a Schroeder cab it might have been different... ;)

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the bx700.

Cheers,
Paul

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1404046592' post='2488727']
Ended up getting a bx700. Haven't used it in practice yet, but sounds great
great coming through my big twin T. Can't wait to gig it now
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404045148' post='2488709']

I think if our Norm had had the Fusion plugged into a Schroeder cab it might have been different... ;)
[/quote]

Haha, possibly but an amp change scared me so I went for the softer option this time. You never know though, if I was to get a new head this amp would be the only runner. Really love the tones from what I've heard on line.