Why become a member? ×

Get a Thumb or hold out for a Dolphin?

thecountegc

Pretty much as above :)

Just interested to hear some opinions, in an ideal world i would calmly wait until i found a 5 string Dolphin, but after chasing up a number of leads i have come up trumps, i understand a Dolphin is not an easy instrument to get a hold of but i am desperate to get a new bass, the money is burning a hole in my pocket :) so should i leave the dolphin in my dreams and buy a thumb and crack on?

Thoughts please :)

Thanks

I'm old enough to have experience, and all experience teaches that the moment you have used your money on a Thumb, a Dolphin will turn up and you [b]will[/b] fail in selling the Thumb in time. Do not protest this. It is how God created the world, and how He Wants It To Be.
Yes, I hate God. Could've had an ARP 2600 synth for 400 quid, but was stuck with that ghastly MS-20.
:D

Pretty much as BassTractor says...buy in haste repent at your leisure....

When I wanted a Thumb I couldn't find one...bought a Dolphin instead. When I was trying to sell it I couldn't find a buyer..eventually sold it to a fella in Australia. Afterwards I had loads of people contacting me to buy the Dolphin. Same with my green Overwater custom - no interest despite everybody who played it saying it was one of the best Jazzes they'd played - recently had somebody enquire about buying that. Dittto both my Jaydees (which I now know I shouldn't have sold).

I'd watch the Warwick forum and hang on for the Dolphin if that's what you really want...

@Thecountegc - I've got a Dolphin I wouldn't mind selling. Please can you tell me when you've bought the Thumb, cos something tells me THAT will be the exact time I should post my ad.

:D

As the above say - hold out. Even change the Ibby for something else if you don't like it, but keep the "Save the Dolphin" fund in a savings account.
GLWTP

Thanks for the reply's guys, much appreciated, and yeah i know your all right, holding out for the dolphin is the right thing to do :) Im just not known for my patience haha I was soo close with the Dolphin pro 1 in Denmark for sale on this forum, exactly what i was after, thought it was as good as in the bag, but it seems the seller has gone silent on me :( if anyone is friends with the guy, give him a nudge for me, im a good guy and i'll treat her nicely haha :)

but yeah If anyone has or knows of a 5 string dolphin for sale then Please let me know

Thanks very much

Jamie

I worked out a long time ago that you shoudl buy what you want because then the GAS stops. If you buy nearly but not quite, the GAS remains. As a result of this approach, I have a bass I bought in 1986 a guitar I bought pre-millenium and have only ever owned about 5 amps (Frunt, SWR, EDEN and now Acoustic Image). Save you thousands in the long run.

Hold out for the Dolphin.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1403176064' post='2480448']I worked out a long time ago that you shoudl buy what you want because then the GAS stops. If you buy nearly but not quite, the GAS remains. [/quote]

Ditto. Within reason (or specifically, within budget) I now save up for the gear I actually want, rather than buying things along the way for the more immediate 'consumer satisfaction', but knowing deep down that it'll be shortlived. I've since gone from owning 4-5 "ok" instruments to two that I really like, and I'm slowly but surely applying the same logic to other things.

Good things come to those who wait, and other cliches ;)

Hold out for what you want. It's like an itch that needs scratched.
I had a thumb BO four string and it was a bargain of a lifetime.
Liquidation sale £800 brand new. Didn't like the playing position and felt I was always reaching awkwardly for the F on the e string too much and didn't get on with it.

Lovely and sounds great just not for me. Play one before you shell out on one. I didn't make money on it, I just got rid of it real quick on the sticky tree to fund another opportunity on a stingray HSS fiver.