Why become a member? ×

recommend me a bass

project_c

i realise this is a broad subject but i'm just interested in a few opinions / ideas from people who know more about the subject than me. i just need to be pointed in the right direction.

i've been learning on a yamaha rbx and the more i learn, the more i notice that i'm starting to outgrow it. my 2 main problems are: the tone on the yamaha is weak (strings sound a bit dead even when brand new and the sustain is fairly non existent), and the chunky pickups have thumbrest 'gaps' built into them in a way that makes it awkward to shift my thumb down to the e string. i've learnt the floating anchor technique with this bass but that first shift down is still always annoying. (other rbx users will know what i mean)

so now i've started looking around for something new, and will spend a bit of time looking around for new/used deals. things i'm looking for: 4 string with a decent clean tone with a bit of growl and lots of sustain, low action, and a fairly modern sound and look. i'm still learning and can't really justify something amazing and hi-end, i'm happy to look at active/passive, i love the way vintage fender p's sound but i'm not so keen on how they look, but that's just a minor issue, tone and playability are the main issues.

is £500 about the right amount? what brands should i look out for / avoid? am i likely to get an amazing deal second hand or do you always get what you pay for?

any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

[quote name='project_c' post='243874' date='Jul 20 2008, 04:14 PM']i realise this is a broad subject but i'm just interested in a few opinions / ideas from people who know more about the subject than me. i just need to be pointed in the right direction.

i've been learning on a yamaha rbx and the more i learn, the more i notice that i'm starting to outgrow it. my 2 main problems are: the tone on the yamaha is weak (strings sound a bit dead even when brand new and the sustain is fairly non existent), and the chunky pickups have thumbrest 'gaps' built into them in a way that makes it awkward to shift my thumb down to the e string. i've learnt the floating anchor technique with this bass but that first shift down is still always annoying. (other rbx users will know what i mean)

so now i've started looking around for something new, and will spend a bit of time looking around for new/used deals. things i'm looking for: 4 string with a decent clean tone with a bit of growl and lots of sustain, low action, and a fairly modern sound and look. i'm still learning and can't really justify something amazing and hi-end, i'm happy to look at active/passive, i love the way vintage fender p's sound but i'm not so keen on how they look, but that's just a minor issue, tone and playability are the main issues.

is £500 about the right amount? what brands should i look out for / avoid? am i likely to get an amazing deal second hand or do you always get what you pay for?

any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.[/quote]

Personally, IMHO, knowing what I know now I would go for a 2nd hand Musicman SUB...they're bombproof, you get all the circuitry of the Stingray for an Nth of the price and with the current economic climate you can probably find one well within your budget.

Subs can be had on ebay for 350, you can pick up a jazz for around 450-500 and the warwicks you can get for a good price. They don't hold their money as well as fenders though. For e.g you can pick up an 1100 warwick for under 500 but a jazz might set you back 500+ even though they are only about 750 new.

Also stingrays seem to be really dropping in price as well. Ive seen them on here for 600 recently. Then there are the lakland syline series and the KSD's they are great basses but might struggle to resell in the mainstream cos they are not as well known as fenders

500 should get you something really nice, don't forget the jap fenders either, some of them are even better than the US ones

Your best bet would be to visit a store that has a good range of basses, new and used, the Gallery for instance in Camden London, have a look on their website, or give them a ring.

Ask ten different people to recommend you a bass, and you'll likely get ten different answers, I personally hate Fender type basses and musicmen, but you may really like them.

You need to try as many as you can, and then you decide.

And it's always worth waiting that extra week or two, or borrow a bit extra whatever to get the right instrument.

Why not Pimp the RBX? I did it with mine and it was awesome for what it cost to do.....

SD pups, any 1/2 decent tuners and bridge. Re wire with new (decent) pots and wire it vol/vol/tone....

It'll kick your ass..... and for a fraction of your 500 sobs which you can put towards a decent amp.

My opinion FWIW....

Then by the time you 'outgrow' that combo, you'll know EXACTLY what you want..... I did....

Sounds like an RBX374. They are decent basses but if you're finding limitations on it I can understand why you'd want an upgrade.

Definitely go to a shop and try as many basses as you can - that'll show you what you like and don't like.

with the musicman stingray market the way it is, i reckon with a bit of careful ebaying you could pick yourself up a stingray 4 for £500, and for that you'll be gettin a stonking bass. the SUB's are nice, but the body contouring and nicer finishes of a proper stingray are worth the $$$ to me, specially in this climate

[quote]Ibanez Soundgear range - 500 smackers should get you pretty much what you want, and the SR705 is probably THE best bass I have ever tried in that bracket in terms of return on investment.[/quote]

Yes, I was thinking the new Ibanez SR500 which comes in under budget at £446. Bartolini pickups & 3-band active eq give you that very modern sound & the SR necks are a dream to play on. The higher spec SR700 comes in at £508.

There's also the Warwick corvette standard available from around £469 or for a little less you can have the new Yamaha BB714BS (Billy Sheehan signature.) You can't go wrong with a Yamaha bass. Period.

As the others have said, there're plenty of used basses on the boards here at BassChat & some bargains to be had as well.

thanks for all the replies, this is all brilliant advice so far, exactly the kind of thing i was after.

it is indeed an rbx374, and i was considering adding new pots/pickups, but i was told it wouldn't be worth it in the long run, but it's something i'll definately consider as an option. i'm gonna spend a bit of time looking into ibanez and the stingray, and the warwick seems very tempting too, those all sound like great options. research, research... i have a bit of spare time this week, looking for a new bass is gonna be fun.

[quote name='metalmickey' post='243949' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:49 PM']Ibanez Soundgear range - 500 smackers should get you pretty much what you want, and the SR705 is probably THE best bass I have ever tried in that bracket in terms of return on investment.

Versatile tone, VERY playable, and good looking to boot.[/quote]

+1

Ibanezes are great basses, definatly try one out before you buy anything out. Although, reading what you said about tone, i think you'd do better with an ATK. The ATK has a more stingray/precision neck on it, and sounds like a musicman, whereas the SR500 has a much faster neck on it, an sounds deeper and smoother. My dad owns an ATK and i own an SR500 - they're both brilliant basses, but it really depends what music you plasy to which I'd reccomend you get.

EDIT: forgot to mention, i played a REALLY nice passive ibanez ICB iceman the other day, might be worth looking at.

Edited by lwtait

I'm giving a big plus one on the Ibanez Soundgear series, I have a SR505 and not only it incredibly sexy, it plays brilliantly (the necks very playable) and sounds amazing! It's VERY versatile cause of the barts Barts and the three band EQ!

So yeah, I'd recommend the Soundgear series above anything else in that price bracket, unless you're looking for a specific Jazz or Preciion tone etc, then you'd probably be better off with a MIM Fender!

Buying new, I think the Ibanez SR500 is comfortably the best value for money under £500. Nicely made, Barts, good EQ. The only issue for me is the neck, which I find too thin, but others love it.

To be honest, I'd look at the used market though. As BassManKev has said, you can pick up some really good used bargains at the moment - Warwick Thumbs are going for that sort of money - madness!

Edited by simon1964

I'm surprised there's only been one mention of Yamaha so far (snobs) For £500 I think you will struggle to find a better value for money instrument.

[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5028"]http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5028[/url]

Irrespective of other higher end gear I always go back to my TRB, versatile, plays well, sounds great. ANd whenever I'm recording or gigging other musicians and engingeers always prefer the sound of it.

a lot of good advice here, thanks again.
the spector is beautiful and great value too, i was initially after a 4 string, but it's very tempting, i'm seriously considering this.

the ibanez sr500 seems to be getting a lot of praise and GAK are doing a good deal on it, so it also looks like a good way to go. i tried one the other day and it felt great, very light and playable, but i could only hear it through headphones so it was hard to decipher the tonality, how would you rate the tone of the SR500?

[quote name='project_c' post='246037' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:58 PM']a lot of good advice here, thanks again.
the spector is beautiful and great value too, i was initially after a 4 string, but it's very tempting, i'm seriously considering this.

the ibanez sr500 seems to be getting a lot of praise and GAK are doing a good deal on it, so it also looks like a good way to go. i tried one the other day and it felt great, very light and playable, but i could only hear it through headphones so it was hard to decipher the tonality, how would you rate the tone of the SR500?[/quote]

I rate the tone very highly. You've got Bartolini pickups, Bartolini EQ, Bubinga/wenge neck, and a good quality bridge. Amazing value on a £350 bass. All of that gives you a really and versatile solid tone - everything from vintage P type thump through to more modern tones.

My son owns an SR500, and it comfortably holds its own with basses I've owned costing twice that. I would try the neck though. The SR necks are very slim - skinnier than my old jazz. If you like skinny necks I don't think you can go wrong. If you prefer a Precision style neck, you may want to look elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

How about getting one of the older (better) Hohner Jack Headless basses off Ebay?

Sometimes you get real good condition ones for approx £250, they sound great, look cool, and fit into a shorter case. Just make sure you get a good one, and like a quite chunky-curvy neck profile (personally I don't, or else I would quite happy use an old Jack). Also...it'll hardly ever go out of tune, the Steinberger copy bridges are fantastic. :)