Why become a member? ×

recommend me a bass

project_c

Keep your eyes open on ebay for warwicks...

Corvette standard has growl and sustain by the bucket load, neck is the D shape rather than C but if that isn't a worry for you then it would make a fantastic next step, hell there are even streamers going for that at the moment

Pro's - Wonderful tone, punchy, actions go quite low, will hold a note long after your finger muscles give up the ghost, built like a tank, hold tuning for ever, great user forums

Con's - Wonderful tone (just the one), built like a tank 10lb to 12lb depending on wood used

PS This advice is worth what you paid for it :))

Yeah, a 2nd hand Bubinga Warwick Corvette could last you for years, but is heavy. Personally, I don't like the natural ash ones, they feel like Warwick couldn't be bothered to finish them properly.

Or just save up a little more and get a Corvette Doublebuck, fantasatic range of tones!

Let us all here on Basschat temp you to SPEND, SPEND, SPEND! Still, you could always economize by using cheap strings, I recommend Legacy from Stringsdirect, I think a 4-string set is about 7 quid. :)

hey

personally if i had £500 to spend on a bass it would definately be secondhand! i'd go for a musicman stingray/sterling or a warwick! the warwick thumb bolt on i used to own just sold on here for just over £400 so you can get really good deals if look carefully :)

..................or you could buy one of my jazz basses!! both are up for £450 :huh:

[quote name='project_c' post='246037' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:58 PM']the ibanez sr500 seems to be getting a lot of praise and GAK are doing a good deal on it, so it also looks like a good way to go. i tried one the other day and it felt great, very light and playable, but i could only hear it through headphones so it was hard to decipher the tonality, how would you rate the tone of the SR500?[/quote]

the tone's the best bit!!! as my dad (simon1964) said, you get barts and a three band EQ, and a bloody good three band EQ at that. if it felt good i'd go for it, the bass covers everything you could want, but i'd agree with whoever said that if you do want a specific precision or jazz tone go for a MIM precision or jazz, they'd cover that better than the ibanez.

Add G&L ASAT or L2000 range to your list - American or Tribute, as I believe the latter are easily on par with the former.

I had a SUB5 (albeit a modified one) and it was nice, but the L2500 that replaced it is better (IMO) and a good range of sounds with the switching options available