Why become a member? ×

Filling the 'space' in a rock and roll band - help needed...

dazza14

Played like that for years as guitarist in a band, both signal and two guitars. I think if the mix is right from the start then it's not so bad. I would often use a wah during my solos as that seemed to fill things up a bit and make it interesting. I think we had more problems with two guitars to be honest as that takea a lot of sorting out to get parts that work together. In the end we had a bass player that really battered the base and drove the song more, and my guitar sat in that mix as opposed to on it.

Our band have the same problem last year when we only have drum, bass, guitar and vocal. We play new wave stuff but recently started doing 80's pop rock kind of thing. Because the songs we play is not really suitable to add stuff on my bass to fill the space, we end up inviting a keyboard/guitarist friend to join. The guy end up switching from keys to guitarist depend on songs which have worked well and it open up a bunch of songs that we can play with the keys.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1401725496' post='2466206']
Enjoy the space.

And learn to walk.

And rip off Jack Bruce for a start
[/quote]

This. I've always gravitated towards 3 piece bands (Rush, Primus, Police, Motörhead etc...) and I think it's because I love the space that happens during lead breaks. It's kind of exciting to strip the music back to almost nakedness and let it build itself back up.

Or you could play keyboards with your feet... ;)

Well it's band practice tonight so i'm going there armed with a few ideas, namely listening more to what the drummer is doing and then working out if we can vary it together, after that it'll be walking lines, after that, enjoy the space! This seems to be a popular suggestion and I like the thought of the rhythm section doing just that, keeping the rhythm going. I'll let everyone know how it went.

Be good to hear how it goes. For walking basslines in solos, if each note is a single, doubling up on those (I suppose the tech terms is play 8 notes per bar rather than 4) can also work, keep a bit of impetus going but still leave space.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1401913053' post='2468325']
Bassist Answer: Leave it, the music is in the space.

Bass Player Answer: An overdrive, octave or volume boost pedal.

:P
[/quote]

The trick is knowing when to choose one, and when to choose the other! ;)

Si

[size=5][sub]Well last night was a bit of a success, the drummer kindly let me influence his playing more so I suggested playing different cymbals at different times and it worked. When the solo's were played I varied what I was doing by adding fills that kept the rhythm going but didn't over-crowd the music, all in all it worked really well, we decided that one of the 'widdly diddly' solos would be better played in chords with a few variations and this kept the music ticking really well. Once I've got a recording of the songs i'll post one or two up. I think the whole problem was solved with an open mind and conversation - how true is that for most problems? - once we recognised that there was an issue we all addressed it, I think i'm lucky to be in a band with musicians that are open to change...[/sub][/size]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1401489965' post='2464286']
Maybe the guitarist is playing too much when he is not soloing and so losing too much when he drops it.

As for the bass:

Have a variant of the bass line for the instrumental section so instead of being empty it just sounds different - in fact instead of being the guitarist soloing, treat it as an instrumental section.

If you were playing quarter notes then play eighths, or vice versa.

If you were pedalling then walk, or vice versa.

If you were walking up then walk down, or vice versa.

But space is good. Most of us play more than is necessary.
[/quote]

+ 1 to this reply
but as others have said, maybe try an octaver

I bought one just last week from a basschat member
and used it for the 1st time proper, at rehearsal on Weds
although I still need to play with it a bit more
I was amazed how well it worked on a few songs.....

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1402041787' post='2469383']
[size=5][sub]Well last night was a bit of a success.... I think i'm lucky to be in a band with musicians that are open to change...[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

Good stuff. It is good to look at these things as a band rather than blame one guy. As I said the guitarist playing double stops and partial chord shapes will certainly thicken things up whilst creating space.

If any of you guys are around for Rockabilly Rumble next Friday that'd be cool. They seem to be getting a bit of a reputation locally so it should be a good night.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1402042587' post='2469392']
+ 1 to this reply
but as others have said, maybe try an octaver

I bought one just last week from a basschat member
and used it for the 1st time proper, at rehearsal on Weds
although I still need to play with it a bit more
I was amazed how well it worked on a few songs.....
[/quote]

When people talk about using an octaver, is it an octave up or an octave down? Any recommended pedals?