Why become a member? ×

Pleasure to gig with a MM Bongo

badboy1984

I actually have the MM Bongo just over a year and I haven't gig with the bass before because I'm so lazy and just use a P/J or J to gig.

Done a gig last Saturday with PA support and I decided to take my Bongo out to gig. First thing I get from some staff in the venue was,

Staff: "Is that a Musicman Bongo?"
Me: "Yeah is the 4 string HS model"
Staff: "Cool man, John Myung plays the same bass"
Me: "Yeah he does but he plays the 6 string model with a 5 string neck etc"

Thats pretty positive but the best part was how the bass sound and on that night. The sound tech really love the tone of this bass and said the bass sounded really good in the mix.

The bass certainly feels good to gig with, lighter then my P and J bass which is good and the tone of this thing is insane. With the S pickup on the neck position and the MM pickup on the bridge position, I can dial in almost any tone at all, from deep bass to growly mids.

Strangely I find the bongo pump out too much bass when everything is flat and use both pickup. I tend to blend towards the MM pickup, add mid and cut little bit on bass.

Overall very good experience gigging with the bass. Certainly will use it again from the future.

I use to have a stingray and certainly it sounded different and feels different. Is a superb bass but not really my thing but the bongo does tick every boxes on my list.

It may look ugly to some people but it looks cool to me.

You are damn right about the pre and the pickup, it is superb.

They are fantastic basses. I usually have the pickup blend on my HS biased about 60/40 to the bridge, bass slightly cut, slight mid boost, amp flat and bang, tonal heaven. I know the looks really put some people off but to play they are superb, the pups and that 4 band eq make them very versatile. Been using mine through a RH750 and Big Twin 2, sounds great but am hopefully gonna do some gigs/rehearsals with a mates GK MB Fusion next month while he's away and I think that could be a epic combination! If funds permitted I'd be ordering one of the PDN Neptune blue/maple ones without hesitation, I'm sold on Bongo basses now!

Edited by ern500evo

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1401293079' post='2462151']
I'm sold on Bongo basses now!
[/quote]

Me too! Both mine are HH. I'd like to try an HS to see how they compare. I usually favour the neck pick up to the bridge perhaps 60/40 it growls like a monster!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1401293079' post='2462151']
They are fantastic basses. I usually have the pickup blend on my HS biased about 60/40 to the bridge, bass slightly cut, slight mid boost, amp flat and bang, tonal heaven.
[/quote]

This is exactly I do on my HS Bongo setting lol. This settings works great 99% of the time. It cuts and blend in nicely in the mix. The only time when I blend 60/40 to the neck pickup is when I need the deep low backing the piano/key when guitar and drum does not play on that song. Otherwise 60/40 on the bridge pickup.

Where do you find these venue staff who can tell/give a crap about basses? I could turn up with a 9-string solid gold Alembic with 27 LEDs and all I'd get would be "The bass is a bit shiny, mate..." :( :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1401355874' post='2462681']
Where do you find these venue staff who can tell/give a crap about basses? I could turn up with a 9-string solid gold Alembic with 27 LEDs and all I'd get would be "The bass is a bit shiny, mate..." :( :D
[/quote]

We were playing in Witchwood Ashton. It was only one staff that came up to me and ask about the Bass. He probably a bass player himself or a DT fan since he know about John Myung lol.

I used my Bongo 5HHp at a pub gig (posh country one) Saturday night. The Sound was great and for a jazzy song with a walking bass line id dialled in 70% piezo 30% magnetic. And the icing on the cake - on their way out a group of the audience came up to me enthusing about the Bongo and asking what make it is. They said it looked fabulous - a modern take on a classic shape. I think it's only other bass players who don't like them.......and maybe even they are mellowing!! ;-)

Another big fan of the Bongo here.

I've said this before, but I struggle to see why so many people dislike the look of these basses. I think they are really beautiful, with an arch top and all kinds of chamfered contours and curves.( I often wish Mrs Dingus was so shapely, especially since she discovered the joy of scoffing Arctic Roll in front of the Jeremy Kyle Show. I've tried to get her interested in talking up a sport to get back into shape, but to be honest with you, it's looking like some form of no-holds-barred wrestling is the only really practical option at the moment)

I love the look of the Bongo It perfectly matches the unapologetically modern and individualistic sound of those basses, and what a great sound it is. I honestly prefer the tone and overall vibe of the Bongo to boutique basses coasting three times as much. Just a really great design that is very practical and incredibly potent.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1401481503' post='2464168']
If only they did an official Myung signature... :(
[/quote]

I think the very tight string spacing might put off most potential customers. Six strings on a five string neck would be a struggle for most folks, I expect.

People who are not bass player won't imagine the Bongo looks like a toilet board thing. Only bass player thinks it is ugly, it doesn't bother me to be honest. The bass certainly good enough for John Myung to switch brand and play. The 6 string tight spacing works well for me because I have small hands and I don't slap as well.

I'm not a fan of active basses. However, I tried out a Bongo 5 HH ( I think...) in a music shop in Cardiff Bay about 10 years ago. I was simply passing time, but the shop guy was keen for me to try it.
It was fabulous. Not for me, but a great bass for sure. Only thing I truly didn't like was the painted neck.