Why become a member? ×

Nice fretless bass

wombatboter

Saw this last week somewhere else on the internet and it blew me away because of the sound of the Pedulla and the joy and energy which comes through in this video..
Always has been one of my alltime favourites anyway (nothing beats this when you're driving home late at night and this comes on the radio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0JA2TktqvU

Sorry, but I don't understand the Buzz.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Or rather: is it a Buzz? Suddenly realised I have no clue.
Does sound grand though, and very lovely played too, IMHO.
Another thing is that to my noob ears it sounds surprisingly like a fretless StingRay despite what looks like a PJ config. I'm probably wrong.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1401019483' post='2459147']
Nice tone and playing.

I always got to this clip when I need to listen to some nice fretless.

[url="http://youtu.be/ycN9x_5MqHQ"]http://youtu.be/ycN9x_5MqHQ[/url]
[/quote]

Good player but a nasty, thin and fizzy piezo pickup sound on this one. I've never heard a piezo pickup that sounds good. Much prefer magnets.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1401022475' post='2459202']
Good player but a nasty, thin and fizzy piezo pickup sound on this one. I've never heard a piezo pickup that sounds good. Much prefer magnets.
[/quote]

Weird as I love the tone of the bass in that clip, it sounds fat and warm through my amp and speakers but understand it may not be a tone everyone likes :)

Sandin Wilson is Gino's current bassist. Friends with Jimmy Haslip who helped select his fretless bass for Gino's sound. Sandin was a big Yamaha TRB 6 string fan but since moved to Spector for his birthday few yrs ago. Check out Sandin's solo album "Into My World" - you won't be disappointed.
He's a top guy and happy to chat about his music, basses and styles.

Dave

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1401725762' post='2466213']
Shame Mike Pedulla is such a nob.
[/quote]

Substantiate/expand please? (Always thought he was a pioneer builder for Mark Egan, John McLaughlin and others...?)

Sorry, just from my personal experience, I did have at one time a matched pair of Pentabuzzes and very good they were too. I contacted him to ask a couple of technical questions about them and to get an idea of value for insurance purposes.....had the snottiest email back basically saying, not interested, you got them secondhand! I sold them both shortly afterwards..... Now, if you contact Rob at Status, or Alan at ACG, wonderful and helpful responses.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1401655689' post='2465626']
Sandin Wilson is Gino's current bassist. Friends with Jimmy Haslip who helped select his fretless bass for Gino's sound. Sandin was a big Yamaha TRB 6 string fan but since moved to Spector for his birthday few yrs ago. Check out Sandin's solo album "Into My World" - you won't be disappointed.
He's a top guy and happy to chat about his music, basses and styles.

Dave
[/quote]

Thank you very much for this information!

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1401734309' post='2466356']
Sorry, just from my personal experience, I did have at one time a matched pair of Pentabuzzes and very good they were too. I contacted him to ask a couple of technical questions about them and to get an idea of value for insurance purposes.....had the snottiest email back basically saying, not interested, you got them secondhand! I sold them both shortly afterwards..... Now, if you contact Rob at Status, or Alan at ACG, wonderful and helpful responses.
[/quote]

Bernie Goodfellow too... although I got mine new so Mike Pedulla would approve. Or maybe not as it's not a Pedulla...

P.S. Why would you need two Pentabuzz's? I believe they're great BTW...

Edited by visog

His sound is pretty much which you can get out of a Pedulla....don't think you need any effects because of the smooth fingerboard. I had a Pedulla once and this was what I got out of it (tone control however closed)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWVzBO-eQE[/media]

Edited by wombatboter