Why become a member? ×

Octaver?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1401047866' post='2459557']
Also is there one that goes up rather than down?
[/quote]

The EHX Micro POG has three controls. One for dry signal, one for low octave, one for high octave. It's versatile. Just blend between the three to your taste/ requirements. It really is a great pedal, and like I alluded to before, it tracks perfectly. I'm not aware of another octaver which does. The effected sound isn't the "cleanest" that I've heard ... but it's a great sound and I LOVE it. These are circa £150 new, and it's relatively rare to see them second hand (probably for good reason).

You were asking about something cheap ... I've had a couple of Boss OC-3's. These also have a polyphonic function (both octave up and down), with a range control. In this mode the effect definitely sounds clean and it tracks really well (way better than the OC-2 and Octabass that I've used). It also has an "OC-2" mode, although it falls short of replicating the OC-2. You can get it quite synthy sounding with the dry signal rolled back, which is cool, although the tracking in this mode is as poor as an actual OC-2. There's also a "Drive" mode which sounds properly dirty and fat with just a wee bit of low octave dialed in. I like the OC-3. It deserves more love. I think that somebody is selling on here for £45 at the moment. Not bad, I reckon.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1401236332' post='2461616']

The EHX Micro POG has three controls. One for dry signal, one for low octave, one for high octave. It's versatile. Just blend between the three to your taste/ requirements. It really is a great pedal, and like I alluded to before, it tracks perfectly. I'm not aware of another octaver which does. The effected sound isn't the "cleanest" that I've heard ... but it's a great sound and I LOVE it. These are circa £150 new, and it's relatively rare to see them second hand (probably for good reason).

You were asking about something cheap ... I've had a couple of Boss OC-3's. These also have a polyphonic function (both octave up and down), with a range control. In this mode the effect definitely sounds clean and it tracks really well (way better than the OC-2 and Octabass that I've used). It also has an "OC-2" mode, although it falls short of replicating the OC-2. You can get it quite synthy sounding with the dry signal rolled back, which is cool, although the tracking in this mode is as poor as an actual OC-2. There's also a "Drive" mode which sounds properly dirty and fat with just a wee bit of low octave dialed in. I like the OC-3. It deserves more love. I think that somebody is selling on here for £45 at the moment. Not bad, I reckon.
[/quote]

Dnt think the oc-3 has an octave up dude does it?

Andy

OC-3 doesn't have an octave up, but it does has a fairly poor fuzz/drive option :-/

I don't get people's problem with the OC-2 tracking, I often successfully have it tracking down to A at gigs. With a P-bass though, so nice and solid, round input.

Si

For cheap, either a Digitech Bass Synth Wah, which is a much better octave down pedal than it is a synth pedal, or one of the new Zoom B1on pedals - this has a octave down pedal and pitch shifters to go an octave up or down. I guess it might also be possible to put one after the other and achieve octave up and down at the same time through juggling the blend controls, but I haven't tried it. Might have a go tonight..

You can also put a compressor before the effect which will improve the tracking.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1401268385' post='2461751']
I don't get people's problem with the OC-2 tracking, I often successfully have it tracking down to A at gigs. With a P-bass though, so nice and solid, round input.

Si
[/quote]

Agreed, my most recent and favourite octave pedal was the Chord OC-50 (yes the very cheap one) which is an OC-2 in different clothes. It tracked reliably to low G, and not just on a momentary note. Tested it with long sustained notes too with no wobble for a LONG time into the note's decay... Much better than any others I tried, some costing 4 or 5 times what the Chord cost me.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1401255574' post='2461628']
Dnt think the oc-3 has an octave up dude does it?
[/quote]
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1401262568' post='2461674']
My understanding is that it's octave down only, but has a polyphonic function, so it can do chords as well as single notes
[/quote]
[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1401268385' post='2461751']
OC-3 doesn't have an octave up
[/quote]

Aye, you're right enough guys, sorry.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1401721138' post='2466139']
I ended up with a Zoom B3 that way if Octave isn't the answer I can try other things.
[/quote]

I like the 'Pitch' setting on the Zoom rather then the one actually called 'Octave' ...... I think.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1401721138' post='2466139']
I ended up with a Zoom B3 that way if Octave isn't the answer I can try other things.
[/quote]

If you bought it from here for what seems to be the going price you have no doubt got it for what seems to be the going price for Aq Octimizers and the B3 does an awful lot more besides. Plus, if it's not for you, you'll shift it on pretty quick. Win win really.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1401780932' post='2466673']
If you bought it from here for what seems to be the going price you have no doubt got it for what seems to be the going price for Aq Octimizers and the B3 does an awful lot more besides. Plus, if it's not for you, you'll shift it on pretty quick. Win win really.
[/quote]

ive always found multi effects just made me crave the single pedals again, but hope all goes well!

andy