Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

Roger2611

Covers have been a source of material by many of those who are regarded as musical 'gods', all of whom could write a pretty good tune of their own; tribute acts just take that ethos one step further. I've written the odd thing over the years but I'm pretty sure the only person who wants to hear it is me (and maybe nearest and dearest) so I'm more than happy to cover well known tunes and, if appropriate, bring my own touches to it; this allows me to play live and bring some pleasure to other folks (they keep coming back so we must be doing something right). I don't understand the covers/tribute hate. However, I do understand the dislike of bands that just knock out a half arsed attempts of songs that should've stayed in the rehearsal room.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1400407346' post='2453482']
I don't understand the covers/tribute hate.
[/quote]

From me personally it's certainly not hate, it's just something I have no interest in.

The main reason I wouldn't want to play in a covers band is that I'd largely be having to learn & play music I don't like, which would be a pretty miserable way for me to spend my time.

I don't get why people going out & playing original music are automatically dismissed as being rubbish by so many people on here, but that happens just as much as people slagging off covers/tribute bands.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1400404157' post='2453439']
There are only 2 types of music. Good music and bad music.
Ditto bands.
[/quote]

Not necessarily,a band don't have to be musically competent to be exciting. I doubt any of Crass (for example) would describe themselves as musos, however they were one of the most exciting bands I've ever seen.

Crass tribute band, anyone................?
;)

Don't have a problem with them, they are either decent or they aren't.
Seen a good Oasis tribute... and the only problem was the amount of songs they could play. I always thought
Oasis had plenty of hits but I didn't recognise a few in the 60 min set..??

There are a couple fo Floyd bands round here that promise too much and deliver too little...
I think you have to be careful with bands you 'tribute'..as it is ALL about recognsiable songs
and doing them very well, IMO

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1400412314' post='2453544']
If you can't tell the difference good and bad then it makes no difference whether it's so-called original, covers, tribute or whatever.
[/quote]
Not sure what's that's got to do with my post but thanks anyway.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1400401095' post='2453407']
Anyway, it's really quite rare to see something actually original as so-called original is commonly highly derivative and sometimes derivative in a rather dull manner.
[/quote]

And there's the problem with 'originals'.

It has been my experience that the majority of 'originals' bands play self-penned material within a genre straitjacket. The chords may come in a slightly different order but band sound, arrangements, lyrical content, delivery, clothes, equipment and audience engagement all adhere to a rigid pattern, the slightest deviation from which is viewed with grave suspicion by band and audience alike.

In fact, most originals bands are 'tributes' in all but name. If proof be needed, the emerging originals band will inevitably seek to engage the unaligned by publicising itself with comparisons to existing artists or with genre cliches such as:

"Drawing from the well of Bowie, Diamanta Gala-Pie and Goldie" or "!!Clenched-fist rockin' dudes!!"

The young punter may remain unaware of the originals band's mountainous debt to other artists but the mature gentleman gig-goer can spend a diverting evening playing 'spot the rip-off'. It is a pleasurable game.

Say what one may about tribute bands, at least they have the honesty (or the self-awareness) to recognise what they are doing and to bill themselves as playing other people's music. The vast majority of originals bands offer little more than slavishly recycled guff, driven either by mendacious laziness, self-deluded fantasy or witless ineptitude.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1400429095' post='2453731']
You'd need to ask Duke Ellington. The 'good/bad music' quote was his, not mine.
[/quote]
I've never seen or heard that quote but i have heard this quote attributed to Duke Ellington

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1400431530' post='2453768']
Presumably you mean well-played music and badly-played music?
[/quote]

Now you've done it.
[list=1]
[*]Badly-played bad music
[*]Well-played bad music
[*]Badly-played good music
[*]Well-played good music
[*]Averagely played average music
[/list]
I expect Ray Ellington is feeling just a [i]tiny[/i] bit stupid right now.