Why become a member? ×

ROTOSOUND STRINGS... ANYBODY ELSE HAD ANY TROUBLE?

Hello fellow Rotosound users.

I've been using rotosound's for years- I favour the 'SM-66 Swing Bass 40-100's'- and I've never had any problems until recently. The previous few sets that I have purchased have all come with a dodgy E string- it sounds woolly and feels dead under my fingers (like its already been used!).

So I started to buy them from another store; things were going ok for the next couple of purchases, but the set I brought this morning (again!) has come with a dodgy E string! Has anybody else had this trouble recently?

Cheers.

Got to applaud your loyalty. If it happened once to me I would be upset but if it happened again I'm sure I would be changing brands.

My advice would be, get on to Rotosound and explain the situation. You never know, if there is a fault with their product, they might give you some replacements :)

I did try RS several time and several types and never liked them too much. Lately tried thick 110 and found them slightly uncomfortable but never had troubles with sound ...
I also tried something called nexus - black nice with selective sound. I'm not sure if I would recommend but worth to try ... didn't like them first but slowly with time I found them very delicate
I guess in the end its all depends on individual taste.
Generall Rotosound worked for me ok but still I prefer D'Addario...
I also tried fluorescent DR's and do not recomment for playing for looking only are great !

I've been using rotos for a lot of years now ( got to be 20+ by now!), and have never had a duff string from them.
I've tried pretty much all of the major players, but they don't have the gritty sound I love when they're fresh.

Their customer service is pretty good, and would, I imagine, be very eager to right an issue which reflects negatively on their brand.

As I said in the other thread IME Rotosound are incapable of making bass strings with any consistency that aren't 34" scale standard gauge 4-string sets. The other thing I have found is that they "go off" in the packets almost as quickly as they do on the bass. The only way to get decent sets is to buy them direct from Rotosound at guitar shows as that is almost the only way of guaranteeing that they haven't been sat on display in the shop for months first.

Thank you to all for your feedback, appreciate it! I have taken the advice from 'gary mac' and dropped an email to John at rotosound. His was very helpful in his reply; and is sending me a replacement set plus another 100 single. Very professional. I'm pleased! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just put some Rotosound Nexus on the home made Jazz.
So far, so good.
We shall see how it goes.
Must admit that they do look good.
Bought a set of "Patrick" strings for one of the spare 6 strings.
Cost about £7.00.
Yet again, we shall see.

Changed from Rotosounds 4 years ago. I was using the SM66's, they were ok, however the rough feel and touch under my fingers, coupled with the way they died far too quickly meant I had to switch from them! I have since been using D'addario EXL170s and found them amazing!

Gonna be stringing my next P Bass up with Flats, looking to use either labellas or TI's

You might not be alone in your problems - Rotosound strings are packaged in a paper envelope - one which is designed to repel moisture away from the string. The trouble is that the company who made this packaging changed... Something, but the end result was that the packaging no longer repelled moisture, so the strings would come out of the package looking already used. They aren't, it's just duff packaging. What you're going to see very soon is a range of new packaging coming out. All their strings will be packed in a corrosion resistant plastic bag with a sachet of silica to absorb any moisture. Some shops already have the new packaging.

What I'd say to do is to bring the strings back to your retailer or get in touch with Rotosound themselves.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1399915915' post='2448938']
I have stopped buying anything other than Rotosounds now. I've tried Ernie Ball, Elites, D'Addario and didn't get on with any of them.

I'm using the RB40's which are the cheap as chips nickel wound ones. Yet to let me down.
[/quote]

Cheap as chips indeed! But, IME, they don't last so long. A set of the equivalent EB's or D'Addario lasts far longer, if about £10 more expensive.

Just to add - I've noticed how people on this thread have said "yeah, I had that problem. I use XYZ strings now". Whatever the XYZ brand is, they all use sealed plastic bags as packaging. And I agree - you hardly ever get a bad string from a sealed plastic bag. However, Rotosound are switching to that method of packaging, so fans of Rotosound shouldn't be disappointed for much longer.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1399915915' post='2448938']
I have stopped buying anything other than Rotosounds now. I've tried Ernie Ball, Elites, D'Addario and didn't get on with any of them.

I'm using the RB40's which are the cheap as chips nickel wound ones. Yet to let me down.
[/quote]
When I used rounds, these were also my preference, and were outstandingly reliable.

• 2 weeks later...