Why become a member? ×

Bass players slapping

blamelouis

I'm not a big fan of slap so I've never really sat down and concentrated on it long enough to be able to do it proficiently. The pluck bit is OK but the thumb tapping thing is too much like hard work to learn. I just imitate a slap style by plucking upwards with my thumb and middle fingers (like 'We are Family') or simply hitting the bottom E string with my index and middle finger (like the start of 'Simply the best')... It's kind of "whatever works and sounds like whatever it's supposed to sound like"...

Slap, whether MK-esque or in the style of Victor Wooten is a wholly valid technique and extension to the instrument. But as with all techniques, it needs to be used appropriately.

On another note, I love how a thread like this brings out all the "slap haters"! Makes me laugh :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='239609' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:59 PM']Slap, whether MK-esque or in the style of Victor Wooten is a wholly valid technique and extension to the instrument. But as with all techniques, it needs to be used appropriately.

On another note, I love how a thread like this brings out all the "slap haters"! Makes me laugh :)[/quote]

Agree wholeheartedly LOL. I don't hate slap... no I really don't. I guess I'm just lazy by not applying myself to learn it.

I think a lot of people who slag off slap cant actually do it properly as the funk technique it is designed to be used as (ie larry graham/louis johnson). A lot of slap players i see tend to push the strings or play to many notes and forget about leaving space in there lines allowing the funk to breathe.Good danceble funk comes from the brain anticipating timed beats and pops.I love it and its a great knicker dropper at partys.I think claypool sounds and acts a bit like zappa but hes not as clever,however his bass lines are interesting and a break from the norm.

Edited by YouMa

I love slap (and personally have a superb grasp of this style of playing) but hate to hear it played badly, there are some truly awful slappers out there but some very good ones too. It has become derided due to its overuse out of context, thats all you can say really (as noted by fellow Statist Out to Play jazz). Plus, a lot of players who hate it can't do it, there's a guy I know who is a great rock bassist who hates it purely because he is unable to do it! Its a facet of playing but in no way the be-all-and-end-all of bass playing. I recall top players such as Rob Burns etc quoting this 20 years ago in Guitarist magazine (and this was in the heyday of the King etc!).

Nick (try playing What is this Feeling/Loathing, from the musical `Wicked' - what a greatly satisfying non-slapped bassline, a real exercise in accents/rests!)

Yeah, I think a lot of the hate comes from people not being able to do it, so consequently, instead of working on it and getting better they spit their dummy out and mock it. Taste is very important. If you can drop in a slapped bar here or there, it will be much more apparent to your audience than if you have been hammering away with your thumb all night! However, if constantly slapping fits your gig, go for it (for example, if you're in Level 42).

[quote name='Chris2112' post='239810' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:33 AM']Yeah, I think a lot of the hate comes from people not being able to do it, so consequently, instead of working on it and getting better they spit their dummy out and mock it. Taste is very important. [b]If you can drop in a slapped bar here or there, it will be much more apparent to your audience [/b]than if you have been hammering away with your thumb all night! However, if constantly slapping fits your gig, go for it (for example, if you're in Level 42).[/quote]

That's what the OP was complaining about, dropping in slapped bits here and there just to say 'look at meee!' to the audience.

[quote name='bremen' post='239828' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:52 AM']That's what the OP was complaining about, dropping in slapped bits here and there just to say 'look at meee!' to the audience.[/quote]

Of course, taste and discretion must be exercised, do not misunderstand me. I mean, employ the technique for the benefit of the music, which will have a positive effect on the audience. If you're doing it to show off, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. A perfect example of what I mean would be the slap part played by Bakithi Kumalo in Paul Simon's [i]Diamonds on the soles of her shoes[/i]. It only lasts for a couple of bars and only comes round a couple of times, but is a nice contrast to the fingerstyle groove he plays. Of course, he isn't doing it to show off.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='239862' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:32 AM']It only lasts for a couple of bars and only comes round a couple of times, but is a nice contrast to the fingerstyle groove he plays. Of course, he isn't doing it to show off.[/quote]

Of course not. That would be absolutely unthinkable.

S.P.

• 4 months later...

I think that the occasional bit brings a song to life so I am determined to improve until I have the confidence to put the occasional fill in. I am also working to understand exactly how to do the "car wash" fill but watching the youtube vids is confusing

Anyone in the Yorkshire area got a free few hours to show me just how to get it right with perhaps a few other slap riffs for other occasions ??

i slap some things i cant play with my fingers... like Master of Puppets *lol* it is a lot easier to double thumb and pop it rather than play it with 2 or 3 fingers.

im also a firm believer of "getting a few bars of slap in" as oppossed to doing it thruout the song.

dont get me wrong, i only get to slap in 1 out of 4 songs i play... i pretty much slap when im alone... and never do it in public just because there are too many bassists out there who owns me with that technique

I do enjoy it, but have found I let myself get sorta labelled as the really fast slap guy, and now I'm getting older I'm really enjoying more groove, but have found the label can be hard to shift. That said I do some pretty average and predictable octave slapping on a song in my funk band 'useless wooden toys' so maybe not as cured as I think I am..

Edited by gafbass02

I generally like the whole slapping thing a lot. As far as I am concerned bassists can do what they like. It's my choice as to whether to listen to it or not.

I don't have a problem with someone slapping in the middle of a song. Who are we to tell anyone what they can or can't do with music??? - but that's not to say that I'll actually like that song of course!