Why become a member? ×

Bass Guiter 1962 - Fantastic Condition

I wonder what the story of this is. If you don't play an instrument, why keep it in the back of a cupboard? It looks like a 62 reissue, and looking at the age of the case it's likely to be one of the early eighties US ones rather than a Japanese. 6 days to go and already at £399.

The classic 'I don't know what it is' marketing ploy! P L EASE... if you have a chuffin expensive musical instrument in the back of your cupboard that you have owned for a couple of years then of course you know what it is! IMHO he's hoping that some gullible inexperienced player/investor will think this is a genuine 62 and that they are stealing it from under the nose of a witless novice.

Far better to err on the side of caution and be very wary of anyone claiming to not be an expert (in fact as soon as I read those words my default mode is that they are trying to pull a fast one... that and it was found in a loft/belongs to a friend etc.) than to get stiffed and try and complain after. ;)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1395603141' post='2404253']
Amazing how we often think the worst of people, sign of the times.

[/quote]

[i]"Ok so having been asked by so many people about the date written on the end on the fingerboard I have had someone come round and remove it ..."[/i]

It's quite hard to read that sentence without a certain amount of cynicism creeping in. No matter how hard I try to put a positive spin on it, it still translates as: "[i]Oops! someone spotted it - damn!"[/i].

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1395736087' post='2405542']
[i]"Ok so having been asked by so many people about the date written on the end on the fingerboard I have had someone come round and remove it ..."[/i]
[/quote]

Says this now:
[i]"Ok so having been asked by so many people about the date written on the end on the fingerboard I have had someone come round and remove it and it is handwritten on the end 12-03-82 so im guessing its a 1982 reissue model."[/i]

Maybe he is just someone with lots of free money who bought a guitar on a whim, possibly under the same ambiguous "found this in my loft, could be a collectors' piece" sales pitch.

I read that as a slightly garbled way of saying the neck was removed to reveal the hand written date, which would make more sense.

Anyway, no matter how many times I check in my loft and or the back of my cupboards, I still haven't found any valuable basses there.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1395739580' post='2405575']
Understood Lemmy, but why would he get someone to come round and remove a date written on the fretboard unless he knew it was a fake date?
[/quote]

He got someone to come round and remove the fingerboard (neck) so that the date could be read. Its poor English, not necessarily any kind of scam.