Why become a member? ×

I've quit my band.

xgsjx

As some of you know, I tried to start an originals band that 2 weeks ago, became a covers band.
Well tonight I've just sent a group message to say that I've left the band (as opposed to kicking everyone out).
I really wanted to play more electronic/funk/acid jazz stuff & write our own, but with 2 guitarists, that was not going to happen.
So last night I met with a guitarist/synth player who is starting an electronica band in a similar vein to Modeselekor & Ultraista to see if it was the sort of thing that I ant to do. It is & we got on really well & have a similar view as to what we want to play.
So far there is him who plays 8 string guitar through a multitude of fx & triggers his synths (he's got some nice kit too: Access Virus, DSI Tetra, Mininova) & a drummer who plays an electronic kit. They're auditioning a female vocalist next week.

The old band I've left are sorry to see me go, but I explained that I don't want to play rock or covers & they understand & wished me the best with the new. I've offered to help find a bassist & once they get to gigging level, help with their first gigs.

I'm now looking forward to playing stuff that's going to let me play with the sounds that I want to make (& that doesn't sound like bass guitar). :)

Here's one of the new band's songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOBe-8I069I

Thanks for the fix. :)

Edited by xgsjx
Fixed video.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1395352832' post='2401601']
So last night I met with a guitarist/synth player who is starting an electronica band in a similar vein to Modeselekor & Ultraista to see if it was the sort of thing that I ant to do. It is & we got on really well & have a similar view as to what we want to play.
So far there is him who plays 8 string guitar through a multitude of fx & triggers his synths (he's got some nice kit too: Access Virus, DSI Tetra, Mininova) & a drummer who plays an electronic kit. They're auditioning a female vocalist next week.
[/quote]

This sounds great fun... Been trying to find somthing along these sorts of lines myself. Nothing has quite worked out so far, the people I've met dong this kind of music seem to be more interested in sounds than notes. When I turn up and ask what key the tunes are in everyone stares blankly at me....

If your heart is not in it, then you shouldn't be either. Congrats on making the jump AND being lucky enough to find something that excited you at the same time. Most of us muso's suffer from the monkey syndrome, in that we won't let go of one band unless we have a hold of another. Atleast you didn't get stuck doing something laborious while you waited for a suitable project to come up. Good luck!

Cheers guys.
The first band was made entirely of rockers, so asking them to play something different was a big ask & if they don't feel the same as I do about the type of music, then it's not fair of me to force them to do otherwise.
Getting the new band was perfect timing & I think my creating of the old band was meant to be, as I got those guys together, whereas before, they wasn't doing much musically. So all's good. :D

The original band was never meant to be a covers band or a rock band, but I think this worked out well. I've started a band that otherwise, wouldn't have existed.
I'm glad that I decided to leave almost as soon as the band decided to do covers, so it doesn't waste anyone's time & they can find someone who wants to do covers.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1395624151' post='2404532']
I'm thinking about quitting my band. Good luck with yours :)
[/quote]
It's not an easy thing to do, but if you're not enjoying doing what you're doing, then why waste your & the band's time?
I'd spent a good bit of time before making my decision & thankfully found another before telling them (though I would have regardless).

• 1 month later...

Update time...

We've already made a start on the first song & it's almost finished. There's a change in the song where the bass is more synth sounding that I've yet to record & the vocalist is working on her parts to go with it. Should be finished before the end of May. :)
Here's a taster...

http://youtu.be/6zGKAbhyDw8

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1398461456' post='2434488']
I like it! So if I wanted to explore this sort of genre further, what would I look for? Electronica is a big umbrella. How do you describe your band?
[/quote]

That's a good question. I've no idea. There's a few bands that have a similar(ish) sound that I can think of, but not quite the same. Ultraista, Bjork & Modeselektor are 3 that come to mind.
Maybe Prog Rock Electronica?

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1398463548' post='2434512']
Sorry, slight derail, but you get a rather unexpected set of related youtube videos for yours :blink:

Love the track.
[/quote]

Haha! I never noticed that! :blush:
We better hurry up on getting a decent set of songs finished to change that.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to sharing the full track soon.

Edited by xgsjx

If you was getting into that song & got disappointed that it cut off, then here's it in it's entirety (Though there's vocals to be added to the outro part)...

https://soundcloud.com/downthere/onsaturday-sundaymix

Hope you enjoy :)