Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How often do you gig your own rig?

Roland Rock

Over 35 years of playing I have only DI'd into a PA a handful of times, all in the last 4 years for the same annual gig. I find my combo with the extra cab (when required) is more than enough for any club or pub we play in now, although playing twice a week it would be nice to plug into the PA and not carry so much gear.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1395614659' post='2404472']
So basically, if you're in a covers band, you rarely play with other bands and therefore always use your own rig. If you're in an originals band, you often play with other bands, so often use others' rigs.
Fair enough?
[/quote]
I wonder what happens if you play fifty fifty originals and OPs.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1395216324' post='2399741']
Over the past 5 years I'd estimate I've used my own backline 95% of the time, and I can only remember 2 occasions when my own amp was DI'd into the supplied and engineered PA (usually charity events). I rarely need to DI into our own band PA.

I'm happy with my gear.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

+1 for all of this.

Except "Geoff" of course.

Because my name's not "Geoff".

Not that there's anything wrong with the name "Geoff".

:)

Original band.
I play and take my rig to every gig and rehearsal.

If the sound engineer doesn't want the bass amp swapping all the tone then I make it so everyone has to use my rig.
On occassions where I don't have to bring it, I do anyway. It's small enough and light enough that it's a very quick set up and sometimes I'll plonk it on stage and plug it in and maybe leave it there during soundcheck.

While at rehearsals my amp is easier to work with, it's loud enough and as it's a decent system it doesn't fill the room with a low, low mud hum for 2 hours.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1395254040' post='2400318']
I prefer to use my own rig, but don`t have a problem using a provided rig is it`s a swift changeover type gig.[u] Last night I used a Behringer Ultrabss, wasn`t bad, was an open-mic night so no chance of soundcheck or anything so got what I thought sounded right. Apparently not too good in the mix[/u], so that`s the danger - the whole band end up without the right overall sound. Still, far happier to have done the gig (3 songs) with other peoples gear, than to have not done it.
[/quote]

here ya go folks you can now be the judge, a short clip I managed to grab off my phone!

[url="http://youtu.be/hLoYybZG-OQ"]http://youtu.be/hLoYybZG-OQ[/url]

I was thinking of buying a barefaced or Markbass cab. Then realised, in the last 20 gigs I've had, I've played through the venues own gear because it's much more convenient to turn up with just a gig bag, than to have to manhandle my amp and cab to the gig as well. But of course now I have to ask myself, what's the point in forking serious money out for a rig I rarely get the chance to play?

Edited by gjones

• 1 month later...

I will 95% of the time be using the DI on the back of my amp head, the speakers I use are for monitoring and not for powering the room, so as long as my head is DI'd then I'm happy. I'm not bothered whether I'm using my speakers or someone else's on stage. I really don't like using venue behringer DI boxes, so might have to invest in a sansamp or similar for when the there is an issue with venue electrics so I need to use a DI box.

Edited by Old_Ben

I have sansamp di on my pedalboard and use it in my effects loop as well as a di box. Most gigs I use all my own gear but if I do backline share at a gig with my originals band then I give sound guy a line from the sansamp. That thing sounds killer and sound guys love them. As it's integral to my sound the shared amp is only a monitor for me so my foh sound is usually pretty much what I want it to be.

I used an ABM900 Ashdown with the matching 410 tonight largely because I couldn't be bothered to maul the Ashton or Trace about. It kinda worked OK but I don't really get on with them as a rule. So, for the first time in a long time, I didn't use my own gear this eve.

I played a gig on Sunday where the bass rig was supplied on a touring truck with sound crew etc - the bass head was on the blink so they ended up mic'ing the cab. Told the sound guy I had a preamp/di he was welcome to use but reassured me that he had some di boxes but couldnt be bothered and just mic'd the cab. The sound mix was pish on stage and I kinda regretted not bringing my own gear.

In my covers pub band thing I bring my own gear but now the singer has bought a Bose LMII I'm not needing to bring my amp. However until we play with the Bose and in house system I'm bringing the amp to make sure I can monitor myself on stage with the drums. In a two piece with the Bose I'm happy not to bring an amp and I'm wondering if I really need one for the majority of the future gigs I have - if the on stage monitoring is OK then I'm good to play.

I had thought once I started to drive I'd get the 'big rig' but for my needs I'll never need the big rig. Better off spending the money on good ear plugs!!

Edited by krispn