Why become a member? ×

So I bought a Fodera...

JazzBassfreak

It all adds to the mojo, if you ask me. I am not at all put off by dings and dents, as long as the integrity of the instrument is not compromised. Cosmetic damage is just that, cosmetic, and I don't feel that in any way detracts from the instrument's value. I guess some do.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1393840155' post='2384763']
The thing is - if you had seen it in the shop & not been happy with the condition - would you have still paid the price?

If the answer is no - then you have every right to send it back under the distance selling regulations & get your money back.
[/quote]

+1 although I have great admiration for someone who can press the "buy now" button on a £3,500 bass without seeing it in the flesh!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1393840030' post='2384761']
As your friendly local Fodera dealer I thought I'd better chip in here with a few thoughts as well.

In no particular order:

These Fodera Standards hold their value extremely well. If you consider that your one dropped just 15% from the new price as a used bass and something like an 'off the shelf' Fender standard J would fall 30% then you get an idea.

Once that first dip of depreciation has gone they pretty much hold value and don't go any further. In fact there's a private sale one here on BC at £3,400 right now.

The black finish on the YY basses can get marked because it doesn't have a thick coat of high gloss over it. Because these basses are closely associated with Vic Wooten (he keeps his one at his Bass Camp) you find they are often slapped and played quite hard.

I've seen one of Vic's basses up really close and they are covered in dings and marks. He's very tough on instruments and all of his are heavily worn. The YY basses really are 'player's instruments' - they do look amazing but they are very much designed to be used and not just hung on a wall.

From a personal point of view they are my favourite sounding if the Standard range and have loads of tonal flexibility.

The key to 'understanding' a Fodera is to really get your head round that Mike Pope designed pre-amp. The active controls combined with the lovely smooth passive treble roll off give loads of different tonal options. I was very much a J only player until I got my first Fodera with a PJ setup.

Cut a little bass, boost the mids a shade, roll back the balance towards the bridge and there's some cracking J tones. Roll the passive treble right back, maybe boost bass a bit and bias toward the P and there's a great old school P bass rock/funk tone available.

I tend to hold the pass treble cut mid way and use it whilst gigging to fine tune my sound - it really is a killer little device.

The YY series particularly comes to life at stage volume. Again, it really is a proper gigging bass and can cut through a live band mix really well or sit back and hold a groove depending on how you set the pre-amp (obviously your fingers and amplification are going to have a lot of effect too!).

Personally I wouldn't re-rout one if you're worried about future value. People expect these basses to be 'played', at least that's very much our experience in the shop, but they also expect them to have the original spec pickups and electronics. The only exception to this rule might be if Fodera bring out new pickup or pre options in the future but I think this is highly unlikely with the Standard range for a long while.

If it were mine I'd really work that pre-amp for a while and try to get it out with your band and see how it sounds live.

Any problems at all just zap us a message or call the shop and we'll be happy to help :)

PS - Apologies if I'm biased about these basses but I just bought a new one at the weekend as well and have had a ludicrous grin from ear to ear ever since. I just love playing them, absolutely my favourite basses ever (and I get to play a lot!).
[/quote]

Cheers mate yeah. I love the bass, and to be honest I'm not a guy who bothers about wear. It was just the fact of I didn't realise how much it already had if that makes sense. I would only consider routing if I absolutely had to, as never been a fan of p's thought it would be interesting to a lot of folks including me to see a YY standard with a nord pickup in the neck. Maybe not eh!? And to everyone else, no I'm not sending it back to be honest it's perfect for me, playability, weight etc it was just I would of preferred a different pickup. As for Sadowsky I was tempted but I'd of had a preowned NYC if there was one about. Now they are basses that suit wear!

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393845901' post='2384862']

Cheers mate yeah. I love the bass, and to be honest I'm not a guy who bothers about wear. It was just the fact of I didn't realise how much it already had if that makes sense. I would only consider routing if I absolutely had to, as never been a fan of p's thought it would be interesting to a lot of folks including me to see a YY standard with a nord pickup in the neck. Maybe not eh!? And to everyone else, no I'm not sending it back to be honest it's perfect for me, playability, weight etc it was just I would of preferred a different pickup. As for Sadowsky I was tempted but I'd of had a preowned NYC if there was one about. Not they are basses that suit wear!
[/quote]
Are you one of these peeps that thinks they can tell what sort of pickups are in a bass just by hearing?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393846429' post='2384871']

Are you one of these peeps that thinks they can tell what sort of pickups are in a bass just by hearing?
[/quote]

Erm no not really. Well I can I suppose? Like if you hear some old Motown recordings I can say yeah that's definitely a p bass in there sorta thing?

So am I right? You saw a bass in the flesh that was a little more knocked about than you seem happy with and with a pickup configuration that you aren't so sure about and you paid £3,400 for it?

It sounds to me like you REALLY wanted a Fodera :)

If I were you I'd play it lots, experiment with the pre as Molan suggested and try to form a great relationship with it otherwise you will never be happy in my experience.

Peter

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393810326' post='2384642']
Most of you will cringe at what I'm about to say but if this was to go to a luthier I'd have that p pickup out for good and have it routed for something like a nordstrand j pickup maybe, Or a humbucker, I can't stand p pups. Any of you reckon it'd be possible?
[/quote]

But in your first post you said

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Definitely worth the money best bass I've ever played to date, not to mention the variety of tones and workability is on another level"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So why would you want to swap out the P Bass pick up?[/font][/color]

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393846831' post='2384880']

Erm no not really. Well I can I suppose? Like if you hear some old Motown recordings I can say yeah that's definitely a p bass in there sorta thing?
[/quote]
Yeah well have a think about what sort of Kit was around back then.

Why don't you dig P pickups?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1393848028' post='2384897']

But in your first post you said

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Definitely worth the money best bass I've ever played to date, not to mention the variety of tones and workability is on another level"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So why would you want to swap out the P Bass pick up?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I stand by my first post. But in terms personal preference, the p pickup would be swapped out..

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393848058' post='2384898']

Yeah well have a think about what sort of Kit was around back then.

Why don't you dig P pickups?
[/quote]

Dunno mate. As you can tell by my name I'm all about the jazz. Just never been into p's and never really dug the sound. Maybe after a few bad experiences. But it's only personal preference eh. The old 60's and 70's p's I quite like, don't get me wrong. But the P bass is so ripped off nowadays every cheap guitar brand brings out a nasty basswood p bass, I suppose seeing all those ugly cheap things turned me against em a long time ago.

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393850902' post='2384947']

Dunno mate. As you can tell by my name I'm all about the jazz. Just never been into p's and never really dug the sound. Maybe after a few bad experiences. But it's only personal preference eh. The old 60's and 70's p's I quite like, don't get me wrong. But the P bass is so ripped off nowadays every cheap guitar brand brings out a nasty basswood p bass, I suppose seeing all those ugly cheap things turned me against em a long time ago.
[/quote]
Umm, I don't really understand. It all sounds a bit irrational since your P pup is in a very expensive Fodera. And Jazz bass clones are everywhere too. I worry you have not spent your money wisely.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393851589' post='2384956']

Umm, I don't really understand. It all sounds a bit irrational since your P pup is in a very expensive Fodera. And Jazz bass clones are everywhere too. I worry you have not spent your money wisely.
[/quote]

Actually it's an EMG. And I think it's for me to decide whether I've spent my money wisely. In my eyes I have because I'm perfectly happy with it. Plus I'm a collector of high end instruments too and always wanted one. Just not a fan of p pups. PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393851834' post='2384962']

Actually it's an EMG. And I think it's for me to decide whether I've spent my money wisely. In my eyes I have because I'm perfectly happy with it. Plus I'm a collector of high end instruments too and always wanted one. Just not a fan of p pups. PERSONAL PREFERENCE!
[/quote]
Well you don't sound perfectly happy to me.

I didn't realise the dark part of the bass was painted, I always thought it was some sort of darker wood facing.

I'd love a Fodera, it'd have to be a 6 string Matt Garrison model.

Real players basses, do get marks, not clumsy knocked about marks from drunken gigs down the pub, but swirls and finger nail wear. Ken Smith basses are very prone where the players thumb wears away the finish from resting on the body. I remember seeing photos of Stanley Clarke's brown Alembic bass.

You should see my one tutors cello, where she's been playing it with a pick in a contemporary classical orchestra.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1393852493' post='2384981']
Sounds like you aren't happy with it. For that money, you NEED to be 100% on it.
[/quote]

Exactly. And if the OP[b][i] is [/i][/b]100% on it, what is the point of this thread? :huh:

Some of the points in here just add weight to the opinion that many bassists have, which is that the [b][i]really[/i][/b] top-end instruments are really not quite worth their price tag. That said, they are intruments - (i.e. tools) that are built with a use in mind.

Whether they are fit for that use is again a matter of opinion.

To me though, spending as much money on a bass as most people spend on a car, and then not liking the pickups, is rather flawed logic!

Do Fodera do any models with a JJ pickup arrangement? If they do, return yours and get one of them! B)

If you don't mind me saying JBF, you did kinda invite these comments.

The time to worry about the dinks and open a thread was, imo, before you bought it.

Your comments have left several of us wondering why you bought it. That can't just be all down to us surely?

'The meaning of your communication is the response you get'

Peter