Why become a member? ×

How do you use your Envelope Filter to 'compliment' rather than 'offend' a composition?

lou24d53

I recently bought an MXR Bass Envelope Filter, more because I thought it was a bargain at the price and I simply fancied trying one out, rather than because I had an actual use for it.

I really love the sound it gives when I’m messing around at home, but the thing is, I never really know where or how to use it in an actual band setting. When I bought it, I was playing in a covers band, playing a wide range of stuff – and I know this isn’t really the way to look at it – but I thought I would be able to fit it in ‘somewhere’.

Now though, I’ve since changed bands and found myself in an original 3-piece, classic / 70’s rock influenced band and I’m guessing it’s again going to continually find itself redundant.

Basically, I just wondering how others on here use their envelope filters to ‘compliment’ rather than ‘offend’ the composition.

**Samples are – of course – most welcome!**

Edited by lou24d53

I use mine when I have some space in the bassline, definitely not for a "driving" line. I use it with some dirt and it just adds variety E.G there's a verse where the bassline has space and is a bit funky, I use the envelope filter, then the next section is just a heavy riff, I kick off the envelope, keep the dirt on, and it provides contrast to make the riff seem extra heavy when it kicks in

The first track that springs to mind is Sir Psycho Sexy by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Listen to what Flea does with the filter he uses - the verse starts off clean then after the first section, 30 secs or so, he kicks the filter on to add a bit of dynamic then plays clean again for the chorus & bridge sections.
Try experimenting and see what you come up with.

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1393509098' post='2381172']
The first track that springs to mind is Sir Psycho Sexy by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Listen to what Flea does with the filter he uses - the verse starts off clean then after the first section, 30 secs or so, he kicks the filter on to add a bit of dynamic then plays clean again for the chorus & bridge sections.
Try experimenting and see what you come up with.
[/quote]
Actually, that was the very reason for my only other experience with filters when I bought a Micro Q-Tron about 15 years ago to try it out that very track. However once the novelty quickly wore off, it was delegated to 'dust catching' duties...pretty much the same duties I fear the MXR is destined.

The only real use I ever found for mine was when I needed to sound "different" for some reason, usually only for a short time.

The best example was when a functions band I was in wanted to do Mercy by Duffy.

The first four bars are played by an instrument with a lot of "sproing" about it. Might be keys/synth, might be a heavily-effected guitar or bass.

I played that riff on bass through an envelope filter. It sounded nothing at all like the original but no one noticed or cared ... what mattered was that it sounded different. :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393517733' post='2381368']
The only real use I ever found for mine was when I needed to sound "different" for some reason, usually only for a short time.

The best example was when a functions band I was in wanted to do Mercy by Duffy.

The first four bars are played by an instrument with a lot of "sproing" about it. Might be keys/synth, might be a heavily-effected guitar or bass.

I played that riff on bass through an envelope filter. It sounded nothing at all like the original but no one noticed or cared ... what mattered was that it sounded different. :D
[/quote]

That's a good idea. We play that song, and I was wondering what to use to make the bassline in the verse it stand out a bit more. Time to blow some dust off my trusty ashdown envelope filter :)

May well be the wrong pedal fo rthe music you are playing.

I have two filters on my board, an MXR bass auto Q and a Maxon AF9, they both sound, and feel very different and I use them for different things, but then, I play the funky stuff almost predominantly, and it can fit nicely in all sorts of bridge sections, middle 8s, or as a help to just lift a lick into the realms of a hook.

What you dont normally want to do is turn it in and use it for an entire track.

Also use them with either my distortion, or my octaver, (which also distorts the 'clean' channel) for big analog synthiness - or at least as close as I need to get to that kind of thing.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1393593846' post='2382338']
One use for it you may find is as a filter that doesnt open, but knocks of top (or bottom if you can do that with it) end, by setting the sensitivity so it never opens.

Not really getting the most from it like that though!
[/quote]
But if that's the sound that you want, then it's the right pedal. :)
A prime example there is my Bass Murf. I rarely use the sequencer section on it, but I do use it to split the frequencies to sub 110hz on one channel & everything above to the other, which then goes through more dirt & a filter (& a chorus too). It also adds a little drive to the overall sound, which is nice.
My filter is mainly used to cut the top end & bring it in with an expression pedal, but I use the envelope follower on a couple of tracks.

Edited by xgsjx